SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yet Another Royce Hall review !

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Maestro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Yet Another Royce Hall review ! Reply with quote

I thought this was one of the ten best shows I have ever seen, and I've been going to concerts since 1974. Here's my review (kinda long-winded):

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=24358268&blogID=470947240
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speechless after such an excellent and engaging review in terms of honesty of detail and astounding aptness. Really feel that Ive shared your recent gig experience plus earlier times through this well written screed. This must have an eerie kind of resonance among fans like me who wish they'd stuck with Sparks through thick and thin.. Belated thanks
The Maestro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, allydodd. I hope you enjoy the London show as much as I did ours here in Los Angeles, and I am sure it will be every bit as awesome! Sparks rule the world!
nightporter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, kudos for you for this brilliant remark:
"Folks, I am here to tell you that Russ Mael, who after last night I am gonna put up as One Of The Greatest Musicians I Have Ever Seen, had a huge influence on Freddy Mercury, especially in the layering-of-vocals effect that Queen became famous for, but which Sparks invented, at least in the realm of 70s glam-rock. Yep, Russ was there before Fred. And can the man ever sing. To this day he doesn't miss a note!"
Rissacakes
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightporter wrote:
"Folks, I am here to tell you that Russ Mael, who after last night I am gonna put up as One Of The Greatest Musicians I Have Ever Seen, had a huge influence on Freddy Mercury, especially in the layering-of-vocals effect that Queen became famous for, but which Sparks invented, at least in the realm of 70s glam-rock. Yep, Russ was there before Fred. And can the man ever sing. To this day he doesn't miss a note!"

Aye.

Not only has their talent and grace stood the test of time - they can still make the young girls swoon. ;D
Tass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rissacakes wrote:
nightporter wrote:

Aye.

Not only has their talent and grace stood the test of time - they can still make the young girls swoon. ;D

Since I am the owner of the One and Only Dutch Queenforum online, i can't help but to give a reply to this ;-)

Yep, Rus was there already singing before Queen was, but I've never heard or read that Freddie knew them :-P
Freddie liked Paul Rodgers in the early days....

But indeed the voice layering from Queen AND Sparks sounds awesome!!
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The voice layering from Sparks sounds great in 2009.The last time it sounded any good in Queen was in 1991.RIP Freddie.I wish they could have found a much younger lead singer with a better range-Mika is the only one that could do a great job.-thats if they had to carry on with Queen at all.I would have preferred them to let it lie in 1991.I was at a few gigs on Queens last tour in '86 including Knebworth.I will never forget the plastic bottle war at Knebworth Park.Thousands of plaggy bottles swirling above your head like giant batons.
SteveBoyce
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tass wrote:

Yep, Rus was there already singing before Queen was, but I've never heard or read that Freddie knew them :-P

He definitely did
Rissacakes
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tass wrote:
Rissacakes wrote:
nightporter wrote:

Aye.

Since I am the owner of the One and Only Dutch Queenforum online, i can't help but to give a reply to this ;-)

Freddie liked Paul Rodgers in the early days....

But indeed the voice layering from Queen AND Sparks sounds awesome!!

A Queen/Sparks mashup featuring loads of like layering would be totally badass. If I had the tools I'd attempt it.
The Maestro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean to slag Freddy in any way, which is obviously not possible because, like Russ, he is one of the greatest singers of all time. I didn't mean to suggest he knew Ron and Russ either. All I meant was that, when "Kimono" came out, the boys were huge in England (I still have the copies of "Melody Maker" to prove it!) and there is no way you could have been on the music scene and failed to hear "This Town" (at least) on the radio. Ray Davies once said that he made a point of not listening to "Sgt. Pepper" when it came out, because he didn't wanna be influenced! But in the case of Queen, if you listen to "Bohemian Rhapsody", well, it sure sounds like a Sparks influence to me.

Not a knock on Queen in any way, however. Fred was awesome, too.
Lukar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: was Tammy on drums? Reply with quote

Guess you can see a theme with these postings...
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightporter wrote:

What would you consider to be the earliest example of vocal layering on a Sparks album? Tips for Teens, maybe...?
hyburn
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Sparks & Queen Reply with quote

I am pretty sure that on one of their early UK tours I read that Queen was the supporting act for Sparks - how about that? I was there in 1974 and 1975 but I can't say I remember this bec my focus was on the Maels of course.

I do however remember them being supported by a band called PILOT who had a hit with 'January'. It has just been pointed out to me that it was PILOT and of course that is absolutely correct. Damn my ageing memory for getting this band mixed up with Sailor - tho in my defence I'm going to suggest they had a similar sound. No arguments please.

I saw the boys twice at Glasgow Apollo and got their autographs at the stage door - can't find them now much to my annoyance. My pal Jean still has hers tho as her folks never moved house and don't chuck stuff out like mine did.

Hyburn MiniPop MiniPop

Last edited by hyburn on Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Sparks & Queen Reply with quote

hyburn wrote:
I do however remember them being supported by a band called Sailor who had a hit with 'January'.

That was Scottish band Pilot. Sailor had hits like 'A Glass of Champagne' and 'Girls Girls Girls'
hyburn
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: SAILOR/PILOT Reply with quote

Thanks to both Alex Robertson and Mark Rae for kindly pointing out it was PILOT and not SAILOR who supported SPARKS. Of course it was and I have amended my post accordingly.

Doh. Sorry chaps - memory failure event - like my printer recently parts of my brain have come to the end of their useful life. Guess I need a new one.

Woke up today with curly poodle-do like Russ in the 70's (bec I didn't do my usual straightening routine) which is handy as I'm off to an Abba tribute night later - no longer have my jumpsuit tho and even if I did it wouldn't fit me.

Big curly hair alas is no longer trendy ...
SteveBoyce
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Sparks & Queen Reply with quote

hyburn wrote:
[color=indigo]I am pretty sure that on one of their early UK tours I read that Queen was the supporting act for Sparks - how about that?

I read that also but I don't think it's true. However Queen and Sparks (the original group with the Mankey brothers) both played the marquee club in Dec 1972 and saw each other's acts at that time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: