SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sparks reveal plans for film

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrDemotime
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Sparks reveal plans for film Reply with quote

In an interview with Michael Silverblatt on his acclaimed KCRW radio show ‘Bookworm’, Ron and Russell Mael revealed that the award winning Canadian film director Guy Maddin is working with Sparks on the film realisation of their recent audio musical ‘The Seduction Of Ingmar Bergman’ aided by Jason Schwartzman.

The interview reveals that Silverblatt, who has known Maddin since he was a teenager, gave a copy of the musical to Maddin who loved the material and, it turned out, is a fan of the band.

“I am a big fan of Guy’s films…he really is one of the best film makers in the world now. I was stunned when I first saw his films” declared Ron Mael in the interview.

With Maddin on board as director, he and the Los Angeles brothers are now in the process of seeking funding for the film. One of the people helping with this process is ‘Rushmore’ and ‘Scott Pilgrim vs. The World’ actor Jason Schwartzman “he has been a real ally and is a big fan of Sparks and Guy Maddin” said Russell.

Ron and Russell were on the ‘Bookworm’ show to reveal the show’s new theme tunes written and performed by Sparks. ‘I Am A Bookworm’ will replace ‘You are a Human Animal’ which has been the show’s opening theme for 21 years. The programme will also close with a second Sparks composition ‘Where Would We Be Without Books?’.

The interview and theme tunes can be heard at http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/bw

‘The Seduction Of Ingmar Bergman’ was originally commissioned as a radio musical by Swedish Radio and was subsequently released as an audio recording to many 5 star reviews and effusive plaudits.

“Funny, tragic, frightening and thoughtful, all at once…..sharply scripted…scored with scrupulous intelligence. It may well turn out to be the pinnacle of Sparks’ career” The Independent

“the marriage of music and lyrics is flawless” Wire

“a genuinely exciting piece of music…..awe-inspiring” The Word Magazine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Official Announcements All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: