SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vote for your favourite Sparks album !!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your favourite Sparks album?
Sparks (aka Halfnelson)
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
A Woofer In Tweeter's Clothing
5%
 5%  [ 13 ]
Kimono My House
20%
 20%  [ 47 ]
Propaganda
16%
 16%  [ 37 ]
Indiscreet
13%
 13%  [ 31 ]
Big Beat
0%
 0%  [ 2 ]
Introducing Sparks
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
No. 1 In Heaven
8%
 8%  [ 18 ]
Terminal Jive
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Whomp That Sucker
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
Angst In My Pants
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
Sparks In Outer Space
0%
 0%  [ 2 ]
Pulling Rabbits Out Of A Hat
0%
 0%  [ 2 ]
Music That You Can Dance To
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
Interior Design
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins
5%
 5%  [ 12 ]
Plagiarism
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
Balls
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
Lil' Beethoven
14%
 14%  [ 32 ]
Total Votes : 224

Girl From Glastonbury
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Terminal Jive is pants too. Stands to reason, because it wasn't really a Sparks album. Ron had little input ( most of his songs were rejected by the producer) and it was the only album he played no keyboards on. Even Moroder had lost interest, passing it over to his junior, Faltemeyer.

The album has only two decent songs, Young Girls and When I'm With You,
which were, of course, the two that contained the most "Ron".

But, I have to say, I love MTYCDT - except for the terrible "Fingertips". "Change" is sublime, "Rosebud" is fabulous for its Gene-Pitneyesque over-the-top kitschness, and side two is as good a slice of electro-pop as any one could wish for.

P.S. music at the convention is up to attendees, I have no say in the matter. Except for "Love-O-Rama" - no,no,no!
Andy
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to be propaganda.. The first album I bought, fantastic then, fantastic now.
Brightonian
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Girl From Glastonbury wrote:
Yes, Terminal Jive is pants too. Stands to reason, because it wasn't really a Sparks album. Ron had little input ( most of his songs were rejected by the producer) and it was the only album he played no keyboards on. Even Moroder had lost interest, passing it over to his junior, Faltemeyer.

The album has only two decent songs, Young Girls and When I'm With You,
which were, of course, the two that contained the most "Ron".

But, I have to say, I love MTYCDT - except for the terrible "Fingertips". "Change" is sublime, "Rosebud" is fabulous for its Gene-Pitneyesque over-the-top kitschness, and side two is as good a slice of electro-pop as any one could wish for.

P.S. music at the convention is up to attendees, I have no say in the matter. Except for "Love-O-Rama" - no,no,no!

This is exactly the kind of inexplicable dislike of TJ that I find odd. I would say that TJ is far superior to MTYCDT. The only song I really rate from the latter is Change, whereas most songs on TJ are actually pretty good - the When I'm With Yous and the brilliant Stereo. It's got a funny session-rock-disco feel - Greatest Show On Earth, Noisy Boys - but has weathered far better than most 80s Sparks LPs. Of course, it doesn't come a patch on No 1 in Heaven, the album it followed, which is part of the problem.

I suspect a lot of people dislike TJ on the grounds that R'n'R indicated they had problems with it. Or did they? I don't know if it's more a case of the fans putting two and two together and getting five. Did R'n'R just refer to the tortured creative process? R'n'R had songs rejected by Moroder for TJ, but it's not as if they didn't have a hand in writing all the tracks on the album. Likewise, is it cast-iron truth or embellished myth that Ron didn't play ANY keyboards on the album?

I would rate Terminal Jive above any other 80s Sparks record, regardless of whether Sparks had a difficult time recording it / felt that they had lost control of the creative process. TJ is an album that definitely needs a reappraisal. MTYCDT, with the exception of Change, deserves to languish in its 80s obscurity.
Girl From Glastonbury
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Brightonian, I am Sparks fan of advanced years; I have bought ALL the albums at the time of release in chronological order. My "inexplicable dislike" of TJ is not formed as a reaction to the words of R&R or some journalistic hack, (I am, believe it or not, capable of forming my own opinions!), but from repeatedly listening to the album for 24 years.

When I first heard TJ I had no idea about the "tortured" creative process behind it. I was eager to hear the follow-up album to No.1, and bought it on release. I was instantly disappointed. There was no Sparks heart, no Sparks soul to the album. It was much later that I read an interview in which Ron said that he had submitted 22 songs for TJ, and out of those, 20 were rejected. One of those accepted was "When I'm With You", and even the middle eight of that was changed. This interview explained to me why TJ sounds so unlike Sparks.

In the same interview, Ron said that Faltermeyer played on the album, as he was a better keyboardist. Perhaps he was misquoted ( it happens!), but it doesn't alter my opinion of this album.

Musical taste is subjective, and I was giving my personal view. I don't like TJ, and you do. Doesn't mean either of us are right or wrong!
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed tastes are diverse....if Sparks were oranges...there would be those who found some too sweet,others too bitter,others with too many pips and others yet with too thin skins...but oranges are not the only fruit.
There is no point trying to say to someone who doesn't like an album,that they should,nor is there any point in the reverse.
Are we saying, from these "Good/Bad album" conversations, that before we had anyone(pre-internet days) to air our grievances to,and were all alone(as we thought)...did we hide the "offending" album from non-Sparks' fan visitors,to whom we proudly displayed and played the other works(of genius) as we tried to convert them to our enlightened musical tastes???

WTS,TJ & MTYCDT are they really hideous malformed bastard offspring that we keep hidden in the basement...Not IMO!!
Remember my "rungs on the ladder" allegory!!!
Girl From Glastonbury
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another example of differing taste! "Whomp" is in my top 5 Sparks albums! And even if I don't like an album much, I still give it an airing now and again in case my taste changes as I totter towards my dotage. Only exception to this rule is, of course, the abomination that is ID. I keep my 4 copies of this in a lead-lined box buried six feet deep in open countryside, in case it leaks and "Love-o-Rama" contaminates the rest of my collection.
only ed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add my top five to the list for no better reason than I am at work and have some "down time" (yes, I am slacking.)

#1 - Propaganda
#2 - Kimono My House
#3 - Sparks In Outer Space
#4 - Big Beat
#5 - Indiscreet

Honorable mention: "Whomp That Sucker", "Pulling Rabbits Out Of A Hat"

I may be wrong.
www.songplanet.com/onlyedandthealmost
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/onlyed
Niallllll
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an exam and should be studying so heres my top five

1- Kimono my house
2-No1 in Heaven
3-Lil Beethoven
4-Propoganda
5-Terminal Jive

Thats just right now next week it will be different im sure
LadyGodiva
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the only one to choose Introducing... >_<
Niallllll
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh sorry. Well idont worry i wont listen to it next week.......lol
ladystardust
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyGodiva wrote:
I'm the only one to choose Introducing... >_<

I do love Introducing too but it's not my favourite. My favourite is the one I'm listening today...
rael
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyways, the best is Kimono My House, because:
a) it has This Town, which is the most musically improved of all the Sparks songs;
b) it doesn't have ups or downs, being just a blast from start to the end, and still it doesn't bore;
c) it is one of the best rock records because it is musically better than most of them, but it still rocks;
d) the energy captured there is never again in a Sparks record (maybe just in N.1)
CALI
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant choose. I love them all. They are all so diverse in character. Please don't force me to choose LOL!
Spyke
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um...
1) Lil' Beethoven
2) Indiscreet
3) Kimono My House
4) Number One In Heaven
5) Gratuitous Sax and Senseless Violins
fossilise_apostle
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say Woofer, or the original Halfnelson. Absolutely wonderful music, terrific lyrics. wow.
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Favourite Album Reply with quote

Definitely one of the most difficult questions in the Universe, but one worth answering nonetheless.

Each album I've heard is a blatant display of musical talent and sublime genius. Some of the albums are masterpieces which are so awesome that they take the mere mortals listening an eternity to fully appreciate in all their glory. However, there's something infallible about the understated parcelling of "Balls" which is unashamedly peppered with clever hooks that never fails to delight visitors as well as seasoned Sparks Fans.

I may live to blissfully regret my choice, but isn't this syptomatic of the richness of their works?
beav

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm one of those 3 persons who voted for Gratuitous Sax and Senseless Violins. why? it's first album i've heard from them. and coz i love it best of all ;-))))
For lo, they lie and wait for my soul....

http://www.storiesofbeaver.narod.ru
rwolf'68
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I haven't heard all albums yet, this is a temporary fave list, but Kimono is my #1 for sure, then Indiscreet, Propaganda & of course Lil' B. Balls is great too and I do love Angst in my Pants & Pulling Rabbits.........
Don't make me choose - it's too impossible. Can't wait for the next one to explode on the scene this year; maybe we'll all have a new favorite!
rwolf'68
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five months later.....now I vote for Sparks/Woofer for sure. Still haven't heard them all yet, but nearly all. Ron Playing
eyesbleed
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With me it's a toss-up between Sparks/Woofer & Big Beat....
So.... since Big Beat has 0 votes, I'd give it a lone vote.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Polls All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: