SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two Hands One Mouth Pubs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Two Hands One Mouth Pubs Reply with quote

Reports seem to be confirming that the breathtaking performance Ron Playing experienced in London is being played out in countries throughout Europe long deserving a Sparks live date.

My flea-bitten wallet of Scottish fivers can just about stretch to financing attendance at the five mainland UK dates. Of course, I have to express how I would've loved to have been able to be there at the much anticipated Norwegian gig and other places with a passionate Sparks presence, now being celebrated on this forum.

Quite a few of the Brits have already asked me about pubs for a pre-gig assembly, although where I get this association to boozing is somewhat puzzling.

The HMV Picturehouse is in Edinburgh's Lothian Road, equidistant to the Waverley and Haymarket Stations, and a fifteen minute walk away from the bus station. The normal place for pre-gig drinks is the Shakespeare, just a couple of doors along at 65. Normally its busy with punters watching Skysports and standard pub meals are available. However, if there is sufficient interest for a themed gathering, it may be possible to book a room to throw up a few posters in a pub ten minutes walk away.

Manchester HMV Ritz seems fairly central - suggestions;

Birmingham HMV Institute in Digbeth Street again seems fairly central - suggestions;

Brighton Dome - there's plenty good pubs in laid back Brighton. The ones we're familiar with for the Sparks Conventions are a bit away. Perhaps someone local can identify somewhere suitable. A great atmosphere could be building for this gig, so it might be worthwhile to start enjoying it early.

London's Barbican area was personally survey in June for suitable pubs but dismally failed to find anything impressive. Saw the Flying Horse, the Blueberry and the No1 Sports Bar in New City Road. The latter has downstairs rooms available for hire.
Sparky Rickmaniac
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to the Birmingham gig, never been there in my life, so someone name a decent pub and I'll get there
Spyke
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Birmingham venue is opposite Digbeth coach station, so it's very handy for people travelling to the city that way. It's a ten-ish minute walk from the Bullring end of the city centre. As the venue is in the Irish quarter, most of the pubs nearby are Irish-themed. There's The Dubliner, Kerry Man and Big Bull's Head very close, with the Kerry Man right next door to the venue. I've never been in any of them, though, so I can't recommend any. If I'm honest, this area has seen better days, although the redevelopments have made it look less run down. The Rainbow, further up the same road away from the city centre, is a 'punk / alternative'-type of pub, and regularly puts on gigs (I saw the Slits there a few years ago). There might be a gig there on the same night as Sparks, and if so it'll be closed as a pub. The Anchor Inn (on the junction of Rea Street and Bradford street a couple of minutes' walk away from the venue) is a nice traditional real ale pub. I'm not sure which one to recommend - perhaps The Anchor, unless it's too sedate? Anyone else got any ideas?
Brightonian
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Two Hands One Mouth Pubs Reply with quote

allydodd wrote:
Brighton Dome - there's plenty good pubs in laid back Brighton. The ones we're familiar with for the Sparks Conventions are a bit away. Perhaps someone local can identify somewhere suitable. A great atmosphere could be building for this gig, so it might be worthwhile to start enjoying it early.

Re: Brighton: The Waggon & Horses (10, Church Street) is good, and just a few yards from the Dome
lilywearsmoschino
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a plan for Brighton. Thanks, Brightonian MiniPop
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, from 6pm onwards:

Edinburgh’s Shakespeare bar, 65 Lothian Road, Edinburgh, Scotland EH1 2DJ same block as venue, just a few doors up.
info http://www.pub-explorer.com/sescotland/pub/shakespeareedinburgh.htm
(The quaint picture ignores the fact that the pub frontage is actually on the main road of Lothian Rd.)
Map http://maps.beerintheevening.com/?pcb=EH1+2DJ

Manchester’s the City Road Inn, 14 Albion Street, Manchester, M1 5NZ. Just west along the street (Whitworth Street West) from the HMV Ritz. At the long sweeping crossroads.
Picture is http://www.flickr.com/photos/40720991@N03/7768263560
Location is http://maps.beerintheevening.com/?pcb=M1+5NZ

Birmingham’s the Anchor Inn, 308 Bradford Street, Birmingham, West Midlands, B5 6ET
Picture is http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/13/1337/Anchor_Inn/Digbeth
Location is http://maps.beerintheevening.com/?pcb=B5+6ET

Brighton’s The Waggon and Horses, 10 Church Street
Picture is http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/35/3576/Waggon_and_Horses/Brighton
Location is http://maps.beerintheevening.com/?pcb=BN1+1UD

Grateful for Brightonian and Spykes well considered contributions.

London - presently not quite sure if a outside pub is still on the cards in the vicinity of the Barbican...
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be a pub called The Talbot (I think...might've been The Reynard???) part of the old Roman wall close to the Barbican...might be long gone...also one called The Sutton around that area....I'm only going by memory here...so don't take any of this as gospel.
rod
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Ally, you are now the official Sparks gig pub organiser, nice job hopefully see you all in the Anchor Inn tomorrow!
systemr2000
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manchester here we come!
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got tickets for the B'ham gig. Looking forward to it. I'm bringing someone who has never been to a Sparks show before and probably couldn't name any of their songs. I hope she will recognise some of the songs.
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of people have been pressing for confirmation of a London pub. Alex comes to the rescue yet again!

Say, from 5:30, in the:

The Sutton Arms
6 Carthusian Street, City of London, EC1M 6EB,
0 20 7253 0723

A terrific buzz inside the venue is anticipated, as has been the case so far in the UK. Also, its going to be a real special show with Pini filming, so we can't all linger too long in the pub, when there's a great appreciative atmosphere to better.
APOLLO74
Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See you there !
rod
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too!!!
Simon Majury
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See you in there guys!!
Spyke
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for deciding on a pub. I'll be there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: