SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sparks In Philly

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Sparks In Philly Reply with quote

What a treat to see Ron and Russ performing as a twosome. That's the essence of their music. What I've always admired about them is the way they explore so many different styles, but at the foundation of their music are their keyboards and vocals. That really came out in the presentation Wednesday night.

Particular treats were many; here's what blew me away though:

1. Russell's singing. Not taking anything away from Ron - how could I? But Russell was really the "star" of this show, in my opinion. From the opening number - Rhythm Thief - to the encore, he was full throated, smiling, charismatic, hitting the highest of high notes, and full of energy. He looked GREAT too by the way!

2. Presentation. I loved the fact that there was NOTHING on stage with them the whole show - emphasizing the minimalist aspect of the presentation. No hokey graphics, nothing - just the two of them, front and center.

3. Pacing. After the fun overture, Russell came out smiling and pushing hard on Rhythm Thief. What was amazing was that he didn't seem to need a song or two to warm up; he just walked out and was in full voice, with almost no pauses between the songs whatsoever. Each song would end and boom, into the next one, and no lags to catch breath, have water, nothing.

4. OK, Ron. How can I give the impression that somehow Ron was second fiddle? He was great as always. Very interesting arrangements. It was fun to hear the subtle - and sometimes not so subtle - changes to the songs that were made to accomodate the format. Very brilliant. Very Ron!

5. Seeing old friends and relatively new ones. It was great to see a couple old pals, and MJ, I'm sorry I didn't get to say goodbye to you! I trust you had a good time and made it back safely to the DC area.

6. Song list. Solid. The challenge they have is that with over 20 albums under their belt, and what, about 300 songs, it's always tempting to say "I wish they had played this one or that one." I try not to do that, and just enjoy what they throw at me. I did regret that they didn't do Good Morning as it's a highlight on the live album, to me. I'm also not sure that My Baby's Taking Me Home" completely worked for me, and Angst didn't seem to gel completely. That said, there were some wonderful highlights including Under The Table With Her, Sherlock Holmes, Mother Earth, Rhythm Thief, so many others. No complaints.

A great audience too. I was a little concerned a little before show time as it seemed sparse, but the room totally filled up. Hope they come back to the East Coast some time soon!

Go boys, get those rich Cannes poseurs to pony up!

Monte
jessie6413
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry we didn't get to meet in person, Mr. Monte. I tried to ask around if anyone was on the forum but had no luck in my corner. If you went up the stairs past the soundboard, I was the one right up next to the soundboard standing on the step. Hello!
I'd agree with what you said. I'd just say that for me, Ron equally shone because his melodic arrangements soared. How can two men, no real effects, make so full a sound? I've often said that in any one song, Ron has several keyboard parts that could each stand on their own and be one entire song. I think that shows with this set up.
My complaints were with the Troc itself. The old fashioned lighting was too dim and the top end distorted several times during the night (though the lows were spot on). A true tour de force.
I also must reiterate what you said. I've never seen professionals go from one song straight into another with no break for an hour. Period. Smoothly. How many songs did Russell start a capella, yet was spot on? How about the new arrangements having these subtle rhythm changes to keep things moving and interesting? Yet neither ever faltered.
Two days later. Still awestruck.
Virginia
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on the wall in front of Russell for the whole show and it was magical. It was my first show after many years of being a fan and it just could not have been better.
Virginia
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I might add that someone has posted numerous videos from the show on YouTube. I posted them on my tumblr, along with descriptions of my trip to see them in Philadelphia and NYC (not really reviews because there are so many who are more capable of writing those than I am). It's here: http://votedmostlikelytofail.tumblr.com/

Three days later, I'm still giddy.
MJHSolomon
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monte, your comments are spot on - wonderful show! Sorry we didn't get to chat more. I moved up near the front when I thought the show was about to start, not realizing we'd be waiting an hour. (Does anyone know what was up with that? A concert promoter standing next to me said that the venue probably made them wait until 9 because they didn't have an opening act.) I looked for you at the end but must have just missed you. I had an easy drive home, what with good music, no traffic and a super-sized Dr. Pepper, and got in around 2 a.m.

Regarding the show, visually, I loved being front and center, although the volume was a bit too loud for my tender ears. But I found Russell so captivating, I couldn't bring myself to move further back! He really was in top form, vocally and energy-wise! Ron was excellent as well, but I agree that Russell was the star!

My only disappointment was that they didn't open with "Hospitality on Parade" from my favorite album. But, hard to complain when the show proved so consistently fun and interesting. I would love to see them do a whole other set of songs in this format.

Jessie, glad you were there, but sorry we didn't meet. Do you still incorporate Sparks' songs into your English classes?

Virginia, did you drive to Philly from Virginia? Guess I'm no longer the only Sparks fan in the Old Dominion!

I'm so glad I didn't miss this show. I hope they make good on their promise to return soon.
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jessie6413 wrote:
Sorry we didn't get to meet in person, Mr. Monte. I tried to ask around if anyone was on the forum but had no luck in my corner. If you went up the stairs past the soundboard, I was the one right up next to the soundboard standing on the step. Hello!
I'd agree with what you said. I'd just say that for me, Ron equally shone because his melodic arrangements soared. How can two men, no real effects, make so full a sound? I've often said that in any one song, Ron has several keyboard parts that could each stand on their own and be one entire song. I think that shows with this set up.
My complaints were with the Troc itself. The old fashioned lighting was too dim and the top end distorted several times during the night (though the lows were spot on). A true tour de force.
I also must reiterate what you said. I've never seen professionals go from one song straight into another with no break for an hour. Period. Smoothly. How many songs did Russell start a capella, yet was spot on? How about the new arrangements having these subtle rhythm changes to keep things moving and interesting? Yet neither ever faltered.

Really like your comments about Ron. I think you and MJ did a better job than me of highlighting how great Russell was - I fell into the "comparison" trap when each deserves to be mentioned on their own for their distinct, yet totally holistic, contributions! I love the word "captivating;" I think that's the best word to describe Russell's performance.

By the way, we were probably about three feet away from each other the whole show. I was the one with the entire family in tow - wife, 13 year old son, even the 16 year old daughter! We were about ten feet to the left of the soundboard (facing the soundboard), my son sitting on a stool as he had earlier seriously stubbed a toe. Sorry we didn't get a chance to chat!

As for the late start - it's interesting. Someone from the club told me it was Ron and Russ's call. Someone I was chatting with in the audience (with whom I discussed Bon Voyage extensively) told me the Troc if famous for misrepresenting their start times, as it gets people there earlier which of course, translates into more drinks. I think I believe the guy I was chatting with!
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone going to put some pics up here....all the pics so far are on FB.
Virginia
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ, I'm a reluctent driver and I went to NYC also so we took the train rather than driving. It was quite convenient since Richmond, Philadelphia, and NYC are all on the main north south line on the East Coast. Plus the stations in Philadelphia and NYC were close to the venues. I will definately make the trip again if they make good on their promise to come back.

Alex, Our photos from Philadelphia didn't turn out too well but I should be getting some good quality photos from NYC and will share.
My Other Voice
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMonte,

Beautifully said! I love hearing about the other shows. I sort of wish I'd been on the floor close to the stage for the San Francisco show, but there were lots of quite tall fellows there, so my friend and I thought the balcony would be better, a bit less intensity, but a great view.

Great fun to read, thank you.
Fan Club member #643
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Other Voice wrote:
MrMonte,

Beautifully said! I love hearing about the other shows. I sort of wish I'd been on the floor close to the stage for the San Francisco show, but there were lots of quite tall fellows there, so my friend and I thought the balcony would be better, a bit less intensity, but a great view.

Great fun to read, thank you.

Well, just my two cents. I would love to hear your impressions of the SF show though - but I see you have started a thread, I'll take a look.

One interesting postscript from Philly...I was thinking about how much I enjoyed the excerpts from the Seduction of Ingmar Bergman CD; I wouldn't have minded something like a ten minute "operetta" in the middle of the show - something to really bring it to a wider audience more comprehensively (they did tend to rush things at the show, I do have to note that).

So anyway....that got me thinking, I really ought to give Seduction another listen and I did this morning on the commute in, with my best pair of in-ear monitors and at very high volume. Man, that thing is really good! I don't think it got its proper appreciation frankly, and I hope they have good luck in their endeavors to make it a movie. It's different, well-conceived, and very, very clever! It could really work in the film medium!

Anyway, off-topic but all due to the Philly show.

Cheers!
My Other Voice
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will think good thoughts for them at Cannes for a backer for the film. And I'm sure Russell will charm one and all with his French!
Fan Club member #643
jessie6413
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMonte wrote:
jessie6413 wrote:

Really like your comments about Ron. I think you and MJ did a better job than me of highlighting how great Russell was - I fell into the "comparison" trap when each deserves to be mentioned on their own for their distinct, yet totally holistic, contributions! I love the word "captivating;" I think that's the best word to describe Russell's performance.

By the way, we were probably about three feet away from each other the whole show. I was the one with the entire family in tow - wife, 13 year old son, even the 16 year old daughter! We were about ten feet to the left of the soundboard (facing the soundboard), my son sitting on a stool as he had earlier seriously stubbed a toe. Sorry we didn't get a chance to chat!

As for the late start - it's interesting. Someone from the club told me it was Ron and Russ's call. Someone I was chatting with in the audience (with whom I discussed Bon Voyage extensively) told me the Troc if famous for misrepresenting their start times, as it gets people there earlier which of course, translates into more drinks. I think I believe the guy I was chatting with!

Well, we didn't meet but you met my husband! We were the ones with the other 13 year old (in our case, grandson). Dave was wearing the "Lighten Up, Morrisey" shirt I'd made him. I was sitting on the step or standing on it the whole night. I remember you, though. :) If they live up to their promises, maybe we'll meet up at the next Philly gig in the near future.
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we didn't meet but you met my husband! We were the ones with the other 13 year old (in our case, grandson). Dave was wearing the "Lighten Up, Morrisey" shirt I'd made him. I was sitting on the step or standing on it the whole night. I remember you, though. :) If they live up to their promises, maybe we'll meet up at the next Philly gig in the near future.[/quote]

He was great, by the way! Really enjoyed chatting with him, and hearing how he has incorporated Bon Voyage into his comings and goings!
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your writings on Sparks, as ever, are to be savoured Mr Monte! Pleased that Russell's astounding vocal performance has impressed as much across the pond as they have spurred wide eyed people into glorifying talk while boarding buses home from sparkling UK gigs.

Aside from being immensely proud of THAT GREAT VOICE on the cd, I am also enjoying a wee snippet of my other hardworking hero's voice at the beginning of the Ingmar Bergman selection. The moodiness which lifts us over the open plains of the rumbling keyboard's keen retelling of a family history of classic tracks, lurches between lulling then thrilling beyond perfection. Not only is Ron the silent screen clown of the finale, he is the monochrome piano maestro accompanying his own flickering film.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: