SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Welcome to Atlanta - Southern Hospitality on Parade

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparkette
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Welcome to Atlanta - Southern Hospitality on Parade Reply with quote

I want to thank Sparks, Sue, and anyone else who had influence booking this gig. I also want to invite y'all to my city to experience Sparks live on October 23rd.

We have the busiest airport in the world:
Hartsfield Jackson International
So, no matter where you are coming from, we probably have flights flying back and forth from there non-stop - literally. They're available from dusk to dawn.

Give me a little time and I will make my home girl suggestions for cool places to eat. Search engines will flood you with reasonable places to stay.

Feel free to PM me and I will help, if I can.

Again, thanks y'all!
Sod R. Celebrity
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcome to Atlanta - Southern Hospitality on Parade Reply with quote

sparkette wrote:
I want to thank Sparks, Sue, and anyone else who had influence booking this gig. I also want to invite y'all to my city to experience Sparks live on October 23rd.

We have the busiest airport in the world:
Hartsfield Jackson International
So, no matter where you are coming from, we probably have flights flying back and forth from there non-stop - literally. They're available from dusk to dawn.

Give me a little time and I will make my home girl suggestions for cool places to eat. Search engines will flood you with reasonable places to stay.

Feel free to PM me and I will help, if I can.

Again, thanks y'all!

I second that gratitude! Thank you, deeply! I never, ever thought I would see my favorite band play my favorite venue. Inconceivable! But I just bought tickets to see Sparks at the Variety Playhouse (thanks to the Fan Club presale), and so now the Sparks pre-concert anticipation begins!

-Sod

P.S. Sparkette, I tried to send you a message a few minutes ago, but it seems to be stuck in my Outbox. If it isn't posted soon, I will contact the web/forum master and ask that the problem be resolved.
Sod R. Celebrity
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Sightseeing suggestions for Ron and Russell! Reply with quote

I have always loved seeing photos of Ron and Russell in front of Cool Places in their tour cities.

Where they will take photos in Atlanta? Some good photo locations would be in front of the Fox Theater, Margaret Mitchell's house, or inside Cyclorama. All 3 have GWTW connections. I wonder if they've ever visited Cyclorama.

For those who have never heard of it, Cyclorama is an old building in Grant Park that houses an extraordinarily detailed 15,000 square foot painting-in-the-round of the Battle of Atlanta. The painting was finished in 1886 and has had an interesting history of its own. It is only a few miles from the Variety Playhouse.

http://www.atlantacyclorama.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Cyclorama_%26_Civil_War_Museum
sparkette
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Cool Places Reply with quote

Hello, my new Atlanta Spark friend. Cool places...it varies with me: our new giant Ferris wheel in Centennial Park, heck-Centennial Park, the Rainbow creature inside the CNN building, a Fun Factory Coca-Cola creature, the Varsity drive up service, The Fox - inside or up high outside, Wax N Facts, the record store who carried their music for many years...

Last edited by sparkette on Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcome to Atlanta - Southern Hospitality on Parade Reply with quote

sparkette wrote:
We have the busiest airport in the world: Hartsfield Jackson International

Really? In the UK we're constantly told in TV documentaries and on the news that London Heathrow is the busiest airport in the world. Perhaps every country claims one of their own airports is the busiest?

Last edited by sjadey on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Sod R. Celebrity
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcome to Atlanta - Southern Hospitality on Parade Reply with quote

sjadey wrote:
sparkette wrote:
We have the busiest airport in the world: Hartsfield Jackson International

Really? In the UK we're contantly told in TV documentaries and on the news that London Heathrow is the busiest airport in the world. Perhaps every country claims one of their own airports is the busiest?

Determining which is the busiest airport seems to depend on how and what you measure. According to Wikipedia:

Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport, Atlanta, Georgia, United States:
Largest number of passengers annually (1998–present);[5]
Most aircraft movements annually (1999–2000, 2005–present);[6] In 2007, Hartsfield again set the world's record for most aircraft movements in one year with 994,346.[7]

Hong Kong International Airport, Hong Kong, China
Most cargo traffic by weight annually (2010).[8]

Airports of London combined, London, United Kingdom
Largest number of passengers annually in all city airports combined (2010).[9]

London Heathrow Airport, United Kingdom
Largest number of international passengers annually (2004–present).[10]

The numbers in brackets are references cited in the Wikipedia article. The URL for the article is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_busiest_airport
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess all those UK documentaries are using the World's busiest city airport systems by passenger traffic for their definition, which includes Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton, Stansted, City and surprisingly Southend, a seaside town in Essex with the world's longest pier!

Appropriately enough, there is a programme tonight on Channel 5 at 8pm called World's Busiest Airport which is all about Hong Kong International. Apparently, the air-traffic controllers there, still use little counters and blocks to represent planes on boards. Yikes!
Sod R. Celebrity
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjadey wrote:
I guess all those UK documentaries are using the World's busiest city airport systems by passenger traffic for their definition, which includes Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton, Stansted, City and surprisingly Southend, a seaside town in Essex with the world's longest pier!

Appropriately enough, there is a programme tonight on Channel 5 at 8pm called World's Busiest Airport which is all about Hong Kong International. Apparently, the air-traffic controllers there, still use little counters and blocks to represent planes on boards. Yikes!

That there are measures by which London and Hong Kong are busiest does not surprise me. I WAS surprised to learn how busy Atlanta's airport is.
Scary to learn how air traffic control is still done in Hong Kong!
Thanks, I now have a new topic to have nightmares about! ;)
sparkette
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: International Flair Reply with quote

The UK wins hands down for moving the most International passengers. Since that would include me, one more thing: Can I invade your country? ;)

Seriously, I would like to offer information about the city and the venue area for those attending Sparks’ concert in Atlanta. The venue is located in a part of the city called Little Five Points, not to be confused with Five Points. (These are very different areas.) It’s a hip little place with numerous cool shops and a great place to peruse around.

If you are coming to Atlanta and are not familiar with the exact area of the venue, but wonder, "Is there something close by the venue where I can eat beforehand?" Yes, yes, and yes. The link below will take you to a plethora of information for many restaurants within walking distance of The Variety Playhouse.

http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=restaurants&find_loc=Little+Five+Points%2C+Atlanta%2C+GA
aladdinsane2007
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there with my boyfriend! Can't wait to FINALLY see my favorite band - do keep me posted as to if they'll pre/after-party plans and the like xxtyler
sparkette
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Praying for a party...come on!!!!! Reply with quote

"Yes!", to a pre-gig gathering for fans!!!

Ron Playing

And, 'probably' for an after gig gathering, too.

I am currently researching and checking out the best places and in the early stages of organizing those events. (I am 99% sure of the location of the pre-show gathering , but I want to re-check it out first.)

No, worries!! It WILL be posted here.

~Congratulations on getting to see SPARKS live!!! There is nothing like it. I waited about 30 years and flew to CA to get that privilege. It was captivating!!!~
sparkette
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Cool places Reply with quote

http://www.variety-playhouse.com/event/an-evening-with-sparks/

This link will take you to the SPARKS event at the venue: Variety Playhouse.

It is an intimate venue where all seats are good seats.

Ron Playing
sparkette
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: My Baby's Taking me Home Reply with quote

When looking for a B & B or a hotel or motel, I suggest starting with entering Variety Playhouse's address in Hotwire:
1099 Euclid Ave NE Atlanta, GA 30307

Hotwire is very good and showing the address you entered on the map and then highlighting in red "zones" to choose from in the general area. If I was going to located a place to stay, I'd stick with the zone near Decatur (East of the venue)and Virginia Highland (slightly North of the venue) more so and steer away from the Cabbage Town and East Point area.

Hotwire will also offer you the choice to have Hotels.com give suggestions as well. This is a nice offer, because the prices may vary between the two services.

You can tweak your price range and "star" rating easily on Hotwire, too. I was going to suggest a few specific places, but there are too many variables and many choices!!! Happy hunting!!!
sparkette
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: at home, at work, at Variety Playhouse Reply with quote

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0E004AEB7FEF66A0

Sparks- Atlanta - Variety Playhouse
October 23rd

I got my tickets!
sparkette
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Cool Places Pre and Post Show gathering spot Reply with quote

The Euclid Avenue Yacht Club will be the pre and post show gathering spot in Atlanta.

This quaint little pub is across the street and a one minute walk away to The Variety Playhouse. There is a side room to the left, as you enter perfect for Sparks fans to gather.

They do offer traditional pub food, but if you want something to eat a bit "lighter", including the Vegan or Vegetarian options, I suggest dining at Elmyr's, right next door to the Variety and then joining the fans at the Yacht Club.

However, The Euclid Avenue Yacht Club DOES offer veggie burgers, if you want to make it your one stop spot and meat isn't your thing. ;)

See y'all there!

http://www.theeayc.com/menu.html

http://elmyr.com/dine-in-menu.php
sparkette
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: PM please Reply with quote

If you think you may be coming to the pre-gig gathering, remember to turn to the room on the left and look for the happy faces. Those will be the Sparks' people ready for the show.
sparkette
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: BRAVO!!!!! Reply with quote

ATLANTA: They came, they played, they conquered!!

Sparks had the entire audience savoring every moment. I have not seen that much enthusiasm, since the London show I was lucky enough to attend. No chit chat in the crowd, just pure admiration, gratitude and a pool of elation over Sparks’ performance.

Thanks Ron & Russell!!!
Jason d
Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I look forward to seeing them in December in London. Seems ages away though! :(

What was the set list on the new tour?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: