SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Union Chapel 24 Nov

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Union Chapel 24 Nov Reply with quote

Half an hour to go!
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning!

Will post the set list later, with spoiler warning...
dinky
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been to a venue like that for a concert before . Security staff very keen on stopping people doing any filming . Some very obscure songs picked , thought Popularity worked very well. Just a pleasure seeing them as always
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Review, with set list at the end Reply with quote

Just home from the Sparks gig tonight, which was superb.

The format really works well, though they could have easily done without a guest guitarist on This Town - it didn't add much, and he didn't know the part at all! Russell's voice is as good as ever, and according to Ron, all the songs were played in their original key. Not quite true, as Here in Heaven was dropped a tone from C to Bb, but that's neither here nor there.

The gig was simply stunning. A superb night's entertainment.

(scroll down for set list)

Your Call's Very Important To Us, Please hold
How Do I Get To Carnegie Hall?
B.C.
Here in Heaven
Academy Award Performance
Those Mysteries
Good Morning
Falling In Love With Myself Again
Big Boy
Katharine Hepburn
Excerpts from The Seduction of Ingmar Bergman
Nicotina
Popularity
This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both Of Us (with Thurston Moore from Sonic Youth on guitar)
How Are You Getting Home?
Suburban Homeboy
When Do I Get To Sing My Way?

Tryouts for the Human Race
Number 1 Song In Heaven (with Ron's dance)
The Revenge of Two Hands One Mouth
lilywearsmoschino
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know onstage time?
dinky
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just after 8

Finished about 9.40
alanphair
Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning and thoroughly enjoyable as usual.
It was great to hear some new songs compared with the THOM set last year. Russell's voice just amazes every time.
The venue was spectacular for me from a visual point of view. To witness Sparks playing in a place of worship was truly spiritual.
Loved the fact that Thurston Moore came along to add some fuzzy guitar to This Town... and shows how highly regarded R&R are.
Looking forward to Bristol now.
Spyke
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a great show. I probably preferred this year's set list to last year's, and it was a nice surprise to hear Academy Award Performance and Katharine Hepburn. The venue's possibly the best I've been to. Good to catch up and have a drink with other fans, too!
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wait 'till you see the Union Chapel! This is going to be a very special gig. These were the prophetic words of my Geordie mate, and fellow superfan, who reached Islington on Friday.

Union Chapel is a masterpiece of Victorian gothic architecture in brick, shouldering a massive tower. Indeed, it is a working church and i suspect an eager Ron and Russell were left waiting for Sunday hymns to finish before a soundcheck.

The long leafy street had long succumed to darkness when a queue was swiftly accumulating along its length. So many. Even with its majestic size, the building didn't seem big enough to accommodate all these people.

Inside was decorative and roomy, yet the soft candlelight gave an impression more special and atmospheric than the dry ice so ubiquitous to bands.

Have just been told that the internet cafe is closing EARLY so will have to cut this rambling descriptiveness. At least I had no intention of revealing the set-list. Its surprises enhanced the magic of the performance.

Russell was supernatural in vocal powers. His vocals leapt from deep notes of rich resonance up to heavenly choir-boy, as if floating up to that church-tower.

And Ron's chords and notes seemed to emulate and bring out the meaning of Russell's sung words as if some occult code vaguely recognisable but only fully discipherable by the great master.

The set shows a band who consistently but constrasting have sped past the boundaries. "Revenge" is dark but has its its sweet moments, as Russells voice youthfully delivers sugary pop. It is testament to a band who have never sold out. But, the shows will be sold out!
Aled
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A truly special night - full of surprises and glorious performances! I love the Union Chapel and it suited Sparks down to the ground in this format. Russell's voice was the BEST I've ever heard it - just flawless!

So happy
Spyke
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really nice review, Allydodd - you should write them professionally! I like the last line, especially. I can tell that you were inspired by the venue!
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for my grumpy comment about revealing the set-list. I'd spent a long train journey up from London to Glasgow growing insanely jealous of everyone who was hammering away on their laptops or tablets. I was brimming with excitement to give a fitting glowing review ... but frustrated .. When I did find an internet cafe, I was irked at it closing early. I know suspect that the owner had been going to the Sparks gig, though the Arches was dark.

It also followed me being asked to stop filming in Union Chapel, presumably as Sparks Official don't want youtube clips spoiling the surprise, which (after two great shows) seems to be a major element of the performance. "Revenge" like its predecessor is too fantastic a performance not to filmed for a Sparks DVD, so I was pathetically trying to capture it for posterity.
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday in one word "Beautiful" Sparks you make me very happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: