SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bristol Here I come!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Stevens
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Bristol Here I come! Reply with quote

After a great night in Glasgow, as per my conversation with Allydodd, I have managed to get cover for my Wednesday night job and booked a ticket for Bristol, even though I need to catch an early flight to Miami on Thursday morning. Oh the magic of these Maels!
rod
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See you there Billy!
Billy Stevens
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be good to see you Rod. How is parking around there?
Spyke
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parking nearby is fairly easy. There's a multi-storey car park right next to the venue and another a few minutes' walk away under a bridge.
Billy Stevens
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Spyke!
Billy Stevens
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got back about half an hour ago. Found the audience to be a little subdued tonight, maybe a lot of newbies. Atmosphere was no where near as good as Glasgow IMO.

I enjoyed the show though and it was good to catch up with Rod. Sorry I missed you Allydodd.
alanphair
Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a difference to the Union Chapel show and, thankfully, just as enjoyable. As we were standing up, there was a lot more jigging about, singing and general audience calling out - or at least from the people I was standing with. I've never seen Ron smile so much too. I do enjoy Those Mysteries and Academy Award Performance as they have been played so rarely, the former also suiting the format. Next stop, London again on Sunday.
Spyke
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another really good show. The first song they played worked (even) better than it did in London, I thought. Ron and Russell looked very appreciative of the cheering reception they got. It sounds like it's worth attending a Glasgow gig as much for the crowd as for the band! Nice to have both seated and standing venues on the tour. Seated venues gain in comfort, but lose out on atmosphere, usually.
Shame the band escaped from the dozen or so of us hanging around at the stage door afterwards.
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norhtern crowds win hands down.Regret not going to Glasgow now.
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Glasgow, if it had been up to the incessantly cheering crowd, R+R would still be there and not make Bristol. Yet, one show later, the rousing adulation was being repeated albeit in softer accents. There is a snapshot by Russell, taken of the Bristol audience all enraptured and wearing a huge collective smile. Finally even stolic Ron broke into a grin, with his magnificent ivory molars glinting in the spot light, (ever modest, following a brotherly shove there by gentle Russell).

Throughout the show, Russell's spellbinding vocals, of consistent brilliance to date, were delivered with particular passion. Determined, he seemed to be to press home how this was live and largely untouched by the technology, they had so innovatively and influentially helped pioneer popular usuage of. Having heard the show twice previous, there were still moments when something fresh within Ron's keyboard wizzardry came bounding off the stage and struck me in the lug, rattling my brain.

Perched up on a platform was Ron, peering sternly down on his adoring fandom, a sea of heads bobbing in time to the bass keys beat. A popular single of recent years had Russell skipping round it, as falsetto vocals filled the air.

Diverse was the demographic here to see Sparks, and the open floor made this more noticable than in the other venues. Shoulder to shoulder, the contingent was aged from teenagers to folk, who could remembers 78s. Put the record straight and show Russell's photo to Tosh Berman, please.

As the lights went up at the end, as the cheers reluctantly fizzed out, one girl remarked how she wanted them to go on and on. I saw many happy faces leave the place, some familiar from 21x21 or other tours, others not. Trumpet player par excellence, Dexy D'angelo, sounded positive.

A pleasure it was to see ex-Spark, Ian Hampton, of the classic British line-up, and Janice. Forever he'll be a favourite among us fans, and deservedly so in so many ways.

I found myself and Spyke in a gathering of fans outside the stage door waiting to catch R+R leave. Sadly, we were evaded. My stalking must go up a gear. However, Ian appeared and kindly obliged in signing a 74 programme, preciously kept for decades by one nice girl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: