SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spoiler alert! Tonight's Barbican setlist
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lazysunbathers
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadcalm wrote:
Only Thing I guess that makes an Orchestral Version CD more difficult is the Royalty Issue .Ie The Cake gets Sliced a Lot.

Only the orchestrator would be due a slice, the orchestra members would be on one-off sessions fees, not royalties. The lion's share of royalties would still go to R&R.
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Stevens wrote:
Look, Looks, Looks - Sparks + Heritage Orchestra 20/12/2014

The Number 1 Song In Heaven - Sparks + Heritage Orchestra 20/12/2014

Kimono My House condensed into 3 mins - Sparks + Heritage Orchestra 20/12/2014

Equator - Sparks + Heritage Orchestra 19/12/2014

Has anyone found any others or got any to upload?
dinky
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more reviews found ?

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/dec/21/sparks-review-barbican-london
Aled
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! This show was beyond my expectations (that were extremely high to begin with!).

Perhaps the most wonderful thing about Sparks is their ability to present their music in so many ways, whether it's as a rock band, an electro group, Two Hands One Mouth, or with an orchestra.

Firstly I have to give my utmost praise to the phenomenal Heritage Orchestra, who were the perfect orchestra to bring Sparks' music to life in this format. They approached the material with the power of a rock band and an incredible level of skill - I was in awe of them all. It was a treat to see the clear joy the orchestra members got from performing Sparks' music, and the mutual admiration between Sparks and the HO was clear from the moment they walked on stage.

As for Sparks themselves - they are truly magnificent. Their passion for music is constantly inspiring, and their ability to be innovative is astounding. Russell's voice is SUBLIME.

What a setlist - the second set had a perfect selection of songs to be heard with an orchestra - Dick Around was intense! And Let The Monkey Drive is now firmly one of my favourite Sparks songs.

The show was so good that post-gig blues set in almost immediately - like other have said, I hope to see these orchestrated arrangements released some day. It would be a shame for these incredible renditions to only live in my memory - but I'm incredibly glad I was there to witness such a special moment.

Very excited for the Sparks/Franz collaboration in 2015, and hopefully a Sparks/Franz show as Ron hinted this week - yet another completely different and exciting live experience!
Conn
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! What a weekend! Sparks have been long overdue an Orchestra gig.

The Arrangements were superb on Kimono, Equator also being my favorite. Opening the 2nd half with Rhythm Thief...it sent shivers down my spine; it took me back to the first time I ever heard it in when I listened to Lil Beethoven (my first Sparks album)

Ron on a grand piano...always wanted to see that! What great showmen!

I met Alex from Franz Ferdinand both nights, we both agreed that Russell's vocals were stronger and the performance was tighter on the Saturday. He also told me a bit about the collaboration.

Cant' wait for 2015! :)
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn wrote:
WOW! What a weekend! Sparks have been long overdue an Orchestra gig.

The Arrangements were superb on Kimono, Equator also being my favorite. Opening the 2nd half with Rhythm Thief...it sent shivers down my spine; it took me back to the first time I ever heard it in when I listened to Lil Beethoven (my first Sparks album)

Ron on a grand piano...always wanted to see that! What great showmen!

I met Alex from Franz Ferdinand both nights, we both agreed that Russell's vocals were stronger and the performance was tighter on the Saturday. He also told me a bit about the collaboration.

Cant' wait for 2015! :)

Hey Hey! Don't leave us hanging! What did he tell you about the collaboration? :)
Billy Stevens
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/music/sparks-with-the-heritage-orchestra-barbican--music-review-9939450.html?origin=internalSearch
lemonjellydude
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw them Friday and had amazing seats near the front and Jonathan Ross was sitting right behind me!.
I loved hearing Kimono in Full and the orchestra were awesome!.
Without sounding a little harsh the 2nd set list was a bit 'safe' having heard most of them before but Im guessing they did that to cover the casual concert goer.
Change was amazing and I've not heard let the monkey drive before.
I totally agree that No.1 in heaven sounded 'heavenly'.
I did notice that poor Rons Ingmar Berman bit got a bit drounded out with the volume from the orchestra.
all in all it was a fabulous evening and so glad I got to see them, now the 4th time I have seen them live and its always a pleasure!.
My only request is if the tour again next year please be with a band! I have yet to see them play electric! :)
dinky
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/sparks-the-barbican-review-grandiose-in-the-way-theyve-always-itched-to-be-9940091.html
deadcalm
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On The Record Review Section on Radio 5 Live Last Night . Out of Nowhere one of the Presenters Suddenly had a "Sparks Love in Session" and a Review of the Barbican Gig Followed. Now that was a Surprise.
Phil Williams Show at 1 Hr 57mins in ..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04vdw4b
Billy Stevens
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find Deadcalm!
Kermit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great reviews all over then and good radio clip. It certainly shows Sparks are not forgotten and highly thought of, as it should be of course. There definitely is a buzz in the air for 2015.
unprinted
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemonjellydude wrote:
had amazing seats near the front and Jonathan Ross was sitting right behind me!.

I'd have asked for an autograph..

.. from his wife. Given the wit and humour in her scripts, I'm surprised she wasn't there. "This Town.." was in her Kick-Ass script, of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: