SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Raise your hand if you haven't seen Sparks in concert
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJ LX
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Raise your hand if you haven't seen Sparks in concert Reply with quote

Other than Sparks, I've been lucky enough to see pretty much everyone else I've wanted to in concert (save for Bill Nelson and John Foxx, who don't play the the States anymore). Consequently, I'm hoping fervently Sparks play a venue close to Madison on their forthcoming 'world tour,' preferably on a Friday or Saturday night. (Fingers crossed).

Anyone else hoping to see Sparks live for the first time?
lemonjellydude
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I am lucky enough to have seen sparks 3 times!
( 2 hands 1 mouth, revenge of 2 hands 1 mouth & kimono my house with orchestra). I am yet to see them Electric!

I really want to see them rock out! & hopefully they will on their next tour....Please come to sunny Brighton!!
DJ LX
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemonjellydude wrote:
( 2 hands 1 mouth, revenge of 2 hands 1 mouth & kimono my house with orchestra). I am yet to see them Electric!

I really want to see them rock out! & hopefully they will on their next tour....Please come to sunny Brighton!!

I'm a bit envious that Sparks plays the UK more than the US. Their 21 concert/album stand in London being foremost. But you guys deserve it! Britain embraced Sparks' quirky pop after we didn't. Which support is most likely critical for their long run. So hat's off.
lemonjellydude
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ LX wrote:
lemonjellydude wrote:

I'm a bit envious that Sparks plays the UK more than the US. Their 21 concert/album stand in London being foremost. But you guys deserve it! Britain embraced Sparks' quirky pop after we didn't. Which support is most likely critical for their long run. So hat's off.

Im just gutted that I was only just getting into them when they were doing there 21 Nights in London thing! that would have been absolute heaven to hear all that stuff! still I have seen them now and they are incredible and I cannot wait to see them next year hopefully with a full band!
DJ LX
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemonjellydude wrote:
Im just gutted that I was only just getting into them when they were doing there 21 Nights in London thing! that would have been absolute heaven to hear all that stuff!

Agreed. That would be a veritable smorgasbord for any Sparks fan! What an audacious feat.
ETJOHNS
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen (I assume), I saw your thread here last week, after I already posted a similar thread ('Ear to the Ground- North American Dates'). However, your topic as explored so far includes the theme of missed opportunities with regards to Sparks, which especially for U.S. fans is all too easy, considering they don't have the advantage of radio airplay, regular touring, and definitely they are not in the general pop culture here, in spite of Dick Clark's friendship and best efforts (lol).

Actually, I will say I have regrets in regards to Sparks, but they are not as bad as ones I have with other bands, particularly because of the reasons listed above. Actuallly, I feel very blessed to have come to knowledge of Sparks many years ago, although I didn't buy my first Sparks album for years later. However, this one experience planted the seed that eventually germinated into me being a fan. Without this first experience, I doubt I would have heard enough of them again to have followed through, get into their material, and become a fan. The experience was seeing the video for Upstairs when I must have been all of 12 years old, and being so thoroughly humored and entertained by the brothers' personas, and absolutely loving the song, lyrics, and video that I never forgot it. Mind you this was before the day of DVR and digital media, so if you missed a program, that was pretty much it. You might never seen it again, and you definitely wouldn't have a copy to watch again and again (like all those under 25 today have ever known), and only if you were lucky enough to be at home AND have a VCR (which I wasn't and didn't that day in 1981), and prepared enough to capture a 'wunderbar' moment such as this, and even then I would have only had a partial video. Anyway, as with any of my other favorite bands, the moment I heard them, something resonated deep inside my musical soul, and I was instantly in love with them. I think when my sister and her boyfriend came back to the apartment (they were students at Eastern Michigan and they would leave me alone while they 'went to class' (maybe)), I was like an excited puppy upon their rerurn, "who is this band Sparks, they are kinda weird, have you heard or seen them or this song Upstairs, it is so funny and phenomenal at same time... No, they had never heard of them, sounds like some non-essential new wave music. See, Matt was HUGE Who fan, and anything that wasn't the Who, really wasn't essential music, maybe a nice diversion, but that's about it! So, why this didnt translate for me in going to the record store.and immediately picking up Whomp That Sucker, I don't know and this would have to be my biggest regret in regards to Sparks (but in my defense it might have had something to do that I didn't have a job, money, or drivers licence, and that going to the record store at all was a new experience for me at that time; I had only had one album Blondie Eat to the Beat, and that was about it for at least another year or two.

Watch this space, more to come.
mael22
Groupie

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Raise your hand if you haven't seen sparks in concert Reply with quote

great article etjohns, however i wish you did have a vcr back in 81, you would have realized the video was either tips for teens or funny face, as they were the only official videos released from whomp, i see you live in the u.s. meaning there was a concert video from circus krone december 1981 that had upstairs ,however i believe it only aired in germany, there was 2 concert videos that aired in the u.s.that featured upstairs ,rock n roll tonight and rock of the 80S, but both these were recorded in 1983
SOLDAT
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, but I'll be there in London.
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chance for everyone to put that right this September.Addict alert:- Warning once you go once it won't end there..........................................................Start the car.
miss sparks
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was back in the last century, the last time i saw Sparks.
So this September will be my first gig of this century.
aussie
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miss sparks

you are very lucky to see sparks again live,

I saw sparks live for the one and only time at the Liverpool empire way back in 1975
now living in Melbourne I think I have no chance of seeing them live again
but one can only dream

I HAVE WON LOTTO
ETJOHNS
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great hearing everyone's own reminisces and angst on the topic. Mael22, no it was for sure Upstairs because like I said that was something I would never forget, and I was running around singing the song non-stop for next several days. It also had visual references to the sexed-up girls from around the world and some nods and winks at what they may or may not be doing upstairs. It definitely had R&R in the video, unless the video was an amateur one done with some lookalikes; that is definite possibility, but they obviously did a good job of it catching the essence of the boys, at leasr the image, persona, and moustache of Ron,, as it stuck permanently in my head and was confirmed years later when I started buying their records. If I had to put money on it though, I would say it was Ron and Russell and maybe it was a one-off vid shot for whatever variety program it was featured on (it wasn't Solid Gold or American Bandstand). Maybe it didn't meet their standards, was too risque, or they didn't want their fans to think that the girls all over the world wanted to take things 'upstairs'. Ive looked for it also on YouTube and don't think I've seen it, but I can tell you it is out there (somewhere). MiniPop
ToughestGirlInTown

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit stupefying that of all the amazing bands I've seen live for the past 40 years--I've never seen Sparks.

2016 was a real watershed year for me--prior to that I only owned Big Beat/#1 Song/Exotic Creatures/FFS--and that year I bought & listened to every other lp. Daily listening. Exclusively listening to Sparks & devouring YouTube videos for the entire year. Even now, Sparks & FFS are the only bands on my iPod shuffle.

Lucky for me, I have a friend/free lodging in Paris. So--that will be my first show!! (& a lovely holiday)

And just a few days after I return to the US, I'm going to the shows in SanFrancisco.
miss sparks
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miss sparks wrote:
It was back in the last century, the last time i saw Sparks.
So this September will be my first gig of this century.

This time last year i wasn't into Sparks music, than it all happen by accident. So i had a lot of catching up to do as i was still stuck in the 1970's. Now got all the cd albums and have been playing 5 albums a week since the beginning of the year. Now going to both of the London gig's.
MaelGirl
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I see the last post is from last year, i couldn't resist i suppose. Never seen Sparks live (yet) and feel so utterly sad about that fact.
J. Prufrock
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My location is geographically inconvenient. I hope to get the chance someday, but it would require a long pilgrimage for me... until then, at least I have Two Hands One Mouth to listen to and all those YouTube videos to watch.
MaelGirl
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too! I happen to live somewhere they don't like to tour around! Although I would happily drive six+ hours to see them!
Kermit!
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't old enough to go to the first UK concerts in '74. When they launched 'Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violence' at Shepherds Bush Empire in '94 I saw them live for the first time (& went to the after party!!). After that I don't think I've missed a London Concert. Living 5 minutes walk away from the Sparks Spectacular 2008 my dream came true when they played avery album night by night. Best month of my life. I did miss out 'Plagiurism' though cos I'd just run out of energy by then. Good times and a big hello to all those that were there!! It was very special.

The Future! The Future!
MaelGirl
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kermit! wrote:
I wasn't old enough to go to the first UK concerts in '74. When they launched 'Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violence' at Shepherds Bush Empire in '94 I saw them live for the first time (& went to the after party!!). After that I don't think I've missed a London Concert. Living 5 minutes walk away from the Sparks Spectacular 2008 my dream came true when they played avery album night by night. Best month of my life. I did miss out 'Plagiurism' though cos I'd just run out of energy by then. Good times and a big hello to all those that were there!! It was very special.

So you got to see each album played?? I know there are some lucky people that did and that is just waaaay too amazing. Jealous!
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is much the same as Kermit's. Fan since '74, first saw them live at SBE in '94 and at least once on every UK tour since. How did you get in to the SBE after party, Kermit? What happens at such things?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: