SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Other Artists
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artist: Cheap Trick
Title: BANG ZOOM CRASH…HELLO
Release: April 1, 2016

There are lots of artists from the ‘70’s still hanging around. Most opt for the oldies circuit while others do the occasional reunion, either way their catalogue frozen in time. You can’t put out an embarrassing record if you don’t put out a record. There are a few artists that never really went away and their new releases actually remain relevant. Alice Cooper, Joan Jett and our band today Cheap Trick all spring to mind.

First impression…a jewel case! (I hate digipaks). A six panel foldout with the front six panels being pics and the back six with lyrics and credits. First thing I notice, no Bun E. Carlos. It appears Bun E. and the band had a wicked court battle and he has been replaced by Daxx Neilson, son of Rick. I did read that Bun E. will be at the band’s 2016 Hall Of Fame induction so things must have smoothed over a little.

Quick look at the song writing credits. A Greg Giuffria sighting! (Remember Angel?) Producer Julian Raymond receives songwriting credits on every track. I have no idea what that is all about and maybe somebody could explain it to me.

I would have paid whatever they were charging but I like picking up a new release for $12 and Amazon’s new price is $9.89. Consider that Elektra increased LP prices to $7.98 in 1977. Inflation? what inflation? We won’t discuss the concert ticket difference between 1977 and 2016.

This is the 17th studio album and first since 2009. I own eight of those, I won’t count my Dream Police vinyl that I’ve never replaced with a CD! I also have a DVD and some things people have burned for me and a waay cool bootleg from ’77. I’m the one guy who was a fan in the 70’s that never owned Budokan, I’m that guy. I’ve seen them a grand total of 3.5 times which seems pretty low considering they have been around 40 years. All I’m saying is that I’m a fan somewhere between casual and hardcore.

OK, I’ve listened to it about five times. The one song that really stands out initially is ‘Blood Red Lips’. This thing sounds like it came from the Slade/Sweet school of songwriting and I mean that in the best possible way. I love glammy pop with cool guitars and some handclaps. There are a few others that are really solid with some catchy hooks like ‘The In Crowd’ and ‘Heart on The Line’. Ballads are at a minimum on this album and medium paced rockers are at a premium.

It’s interesting; if you do the quick 5 second listen skipping through the tracks it sounds like there is a fair amount of diversity. If you let the disc play all the way through...not much distinguishes itself. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, it sounds like Cheap Trick. It isn’t quite as raw and rocky as the early days and it isn’t as drippy as the middle years. It fits in pretty well with their previous four studio releases. There is absolutely nothing embarrassing about this release and in fact it’s pretty good. I can’t imagine anybody who has remotely liked this band being disappointed with this release.

It will be interesting to see if they promote this on tour. Cheap Trick has been putting out solid releases the last 20 years but the live shows are mostly from the albums that charted in the ‘70’s and ‘80’s. I’m not complaining, just noting that not all artists have the same approach.

The timing of this release could not be more perfect with their playing a Rock and Roll HOF benefit next week and upcoming induction into the HOF. It’s all good.
freeke
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suns & Beaches, "Outsmarted".

It's a brand-new song from my own band. Might as well plug it right here. A bit Sparks-like in places, perhaps. Enjoy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyHrkR2KKSI&feature=youtu.be
DJ LX
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently spinning Emitt Rhodes' third album Mirror. I'd forgotten how good this is. I still need to get his new album.
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artist: The Monkees
Title: Good Times
Released: May 27, 2016

Sooo…I’m stopping by the CD shop and picking up new releases by bands that are 50 years old. Is this what retirement will be like?

Our CD shop has the new releases displayed at the front of the store under glass and there ‘Good Times’ sat along with all the other hip and relevant artists. I’ve had many a great conversation with these usually young and musically knowledgeable clerks while picking up new releases. However, I made no attempt at conversation or really even much eye contact while asking for the new release by The Monkees. There is something (for me anyways) that is sort of uncool about The Monkees. Yeah, I liked the TV show but even as a kid I didn’t think all the music stuff was serious.

Why am I buying something that is slightly embarrassing? Well, I tell myself that the main reason is the title song ‘Good Times’. This song was written by Harry Nilsson and the track includes the guide vocal Harry recorded 50 years ago along with new vocals by Mickey Dolenz. That registers pretty high on the cool meter.

Some of the other tracks also use the original tapes from the ‘60’s while others are brand spanking new. The sound on the disc is surprisingly even considering the different sources.

All of The Monkees appear on this release though Peter Tork and Mickey Dolenz are the main two driving the bus. Michael Nesmith contributed on many tracks and there is an oldie that features Davy Jones (RIP) on vocals.

Is this a nostalgia disc that makes me think of the TV show? The album art and cool stickers included definitely are themed from the TV show. The music does not make me think about The Monkee’s theme song and pushing a bed around on a busy street or running away from the surf. I never was an album buying fan of The Monkees so I’m not listening or hearing this the same as those people are.

What do I hear? Straight up, it ain’t bad. I hear things that remind of The Monkees but I also hear things that remind me more of Big Star than my pre-conceived notion of The Monkees. For slightly more modern comparisons, I hear some Jayhawk harmonies and songwriting from the Redwalls.

Pretty solid release with nice packaging that includes lyrics and song by song comments. If you are even remotely interested in The Monkees or pop music in general it is a fun purchase. Enjoy the Good Times.
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artist: Fitz And The Tantrums
Album: Fitz And The Tantrums
Released: June 10, 2016

I remember being really excited when I ‘discovered’ Fitz’s debut album (Pickin’ Up The Pieces) at the tail end of 2010. The retro sounds of Motown were perfection. My enthusiasm only grew in January of 2011 after seeing them (and meeting them) in a small club supporting that album. The song ‘Money Grabber’ became a hit and could be heard on the radio, TV and even grocery stores. Their appearance on ‘Live At Daryl’s House’ was mind numbing as the similarities between Fitz’s vocals and a young Daryl Hall were on full display.

Three years passed and the follow up effort (More Than Just A Dream) included the radio friendly singles ‘Out Of My League’ and ‘The Walker’. I did not see them on this tour as they graduated from a small 500 person capacity club with no seats to a 10,000 seater. Part of the reason for not seeing them was the venue but part was also the second album; good not great.

I liked the album as it was not a carbon copy of the debut and their sound moved forward. Nothing worse than young bands trying to duplicate/replicate a formula. Now, I didn’t love the new sound as their Motown received a smack of contemporary but the songs were still strong so it was fairly easy to overlook.

Three more years pass and we now have their self-titled third release. What we have is a band with a definite direction and the result is either really good or really bad depending on your perspective.

Gone are the flashback Motown sounds, not one retro sound to be found. Every single song on this eleven track release has been juiced up with dance floor beats and slick vocal effects. I listen to a fair share of top 40 radio and I would be very surprised if this doesn’t have a couple summer classics for today’s youth. The thing this release really doesn’t have are songs for yesterday’s youth. This is a 2016 release that sounds like a 2016 release.

Some will be quick to dismiss this release because of the sound draped on these catchy songs but I’m OK with it. I for one have no problem with top 40 radio playing catchy songs with G rated lyrics (not to mention videos that include fully clothed people). I suppose I’m not giving a rousing endorsement for my fellow lovers of classic rock to buy this release but…maybe we can hope that our grandkids buy it?

Regardless of who buys it, they will get a bunch of catchy songs that are served up 2016 style. Things could be a whole lot worse
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artist: Jeremy & The Harlequins
Title: Into the Night
Released; August 5, 2016

When a vocalist moves on from a band you like do you have expectations of how the upcoming projects should sound?

Some vocalists seamlessly move from one project to another and their signature style is always there. Exhibit A: David Johansen is my favorite chameleon as he has gone from punk to dancy to a name change (Buster Poindexter) to dust bowl blues and back to punk again. The fun thing with David Jo is he always sounds like David Jo.

Others reinvent themselves to the point there is no connection with the past. Exhibit B is Dave King who first had fame with the mid 80’s band Fastway which featured former members of Motorhead and Humble Pie. What a fun band and I still like crankin’ up ‘Say What You Will. Dave King now fronts Celtic rockers Flogging Molly which are pretty much as far away from the Fastway tree as you can get. There is absolutely nothing in the vocals that connect the two. I owned a couple Flogging Molly discs before I figured it out.

I was fan of the mid ’00s band We Are The Fury. Fantastic debut album and a killer live show. Rolling Stone magazine even listed them as a band to watch. They were a blur of ‘70’s retro glam that was a collage of T-Rex, Bowie and Queen. I loved these guys but to make a long story short…band broke up and vocalist moved on.

Jeremy Fury (Lublin) now fronts Jeremy & The Harlequins. Their debut last year received accolades from Little Steven’s Underground radio show receiving ‘song of the month’ for July. The band also had a song in the Tom Cruise movie, ‘Edge Of Tomorrow’.

The thing is, this is not a retro glam band but more of a New York, doo wop, pop explosion that is kicking heels high in the air. I’ll tell you what it reminds me of…it reminds of how Johnny Thunders and Sylvain Sylvain both had solo albums after the NY Dolls that had a real 50’s feel to them. I’ll also tell you that this release by Jeremy & The Harlequins is better than those and also slightly better than last year’s debut.

This is an example of an artist that I think very highly of changing musical direction and somehow exceeding expectations. I absolutely can’t say enough good things, it is an instant old favorite.

This is easily my album of the year and it isn’t even close at this point. Buy it, enjoy it.
DJ LX
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckeye Randy wrote:
Artist: Jeremy & The Harlequins
Title: Into the Night

The thing is, this is not a retro glam band but more of a New York, doo wop, pop explosion that is kicking heels high in the air. I’ll tell you what it reminds me of…it reminds of how Johnny Thunders and Sylvain Sylvain both had solo albums after the NY Dolls that had a real 50’s feel to them. I’ll also tell you that this release by Jeremy & The Harlequins is better than those and also slightly better than last year’s debut.

I'm intrigued.

Buckeye Randy wrote:
Others reinvent themselves to the point there is no connection with the past. Exhibit B is Dave King who first had fame with the mid 80’s band Fastway which featured former members of Motorhead and Humble Pie. What a fun band and I still like crankin’ up ‘Say What You Will. Dave King now fronts Celtic rockers Flogging Molly which are pretty much as far away from the Fastway tree as you can get. There is absolutely nothing in the vocals that connect the two. I owned a couple Flogging Molly discs before I figured it out.

And in the early 90's King was in a rock band called Katmandu, (I had a sampler with one of their songs). The band was ok for what it was, but didn't go anywhere commercially. Which likely emboldened him to go in a completely different direction. All the more power to him.
Angus_Desire
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckeye Randy wrote:
Artist: Cheap Trick
Title: BANG ZOOM CRASH…HELLO
Release: April 1, 2016

There are lots of artists from the ‘70’s still hanging around. Most opt for the oldies circuit while others do the occasional reunion, either way their catalogue frozen in time. You can’t put out an embarrassing record if you don’t put out a record. There are a few artists that never really went away and their new releases actually remain relevant. Alice Cooper, Joan Jett and our band today Cheap Trick all spring to mind.

First impression…a jewel case! (I hate digipaks). A six panel foldout with the front six panels being pics and the back six with lyrics and credits. First thing I notice, no Bun E. Carlos. It appears Bun E. and the band had a wicked court battle and he has been replaced by Daxx Neilson, son of Rick. I did read that Bun E. will be at the band’s 2016 Hall Of Fame induction so things must have smoothed over a little.

Quick look at the song writing credits. A Greg Giuffria sighting! (Remember Angel?) Producer Julian Raymond receives songwriting credits on every track. I have no idea what that is all about and maybe somebody could explain it to me.

I would have paid whatever they were charging but I like picking up a new release for $12 and Amazon’s new price is $9.89. Consider that Elektra increased LP prices to $7.98 in 1977. Inflation? what inflation? We won’t discuss the concert ticket difference between 1977 and 2016.

This is the 17th studio album and first since 2009. I own eight of those, I won’t count my Dream Police vinyl that I’ve never replaced with a CD! I also have a DVD and some things people have burned for me and a waay cool bootleg from ’77. I’m the one guy who was a fan in the 70’s that never owned Budokan, I’m that guy. I’ve seen them a grand total of 3.5 times which seems pretty low considering they have been around 40 years. All I’m saying is that I’m a fan somewhere between casual and hardcore.

OK, I’ve listened to it about five times. The one song that really stands out initially is ‘Blood Red Lips’. This thing sounds like it came from the Slade/Sweet school of songwriting and I mean that in the best possible way. I love glammy pop with cool guitars and some handclaps. There are a few others that are really solid with some catchy hooks like ‘The In Crowd’ and ‘Heart on The Line’. Ballads are at a minimum on this album and medium paced rockers are at a premium.

Just had a listen to "Blood Red Lips" on YouTube. Fantastic song - I'm a sucker for the glitter rock stomp sound. Reminds me of "Hot Love", and towards the end "Blockbuster" and "The Jean Genie".

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sparksfangroup
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Hunter
Fingers Crossed
September 16, 2016

I stopped by my CD store at 2PM yesterday (September 15th) and they just put out the new releases for the 16th. No new release by Ian! The clerk looked it up and he can't even order the CD from his distributor, only the vinyl. I don't blame my CD store and I don't blame the distributor, I put full blame on Ian and Trudi for picking a shitty record label. How is this better than the live acoustic release from a few years ago that isn't available in stores? It is basically the same thing, a mail order only release. This adds a real emptiness to all those reviews raving about how great this release is. “It is so good it isn’t available in stores”

Maybe I've had it too good for too long by being able to pick up new releases at an actual store and often doing so several days early. Maybe the sting I'm feeling is something that most people in our download loving world have been experiencing for years. They just don't even think about it anymore because it has become normal.

The new release is available for free listening on Spotify which does take the sting out of it not being available locally. I do like having my mitts on a real CD.

Regardless, I’m excited because I’m a fan and have been most of my life. There is always a buzz in Randyland for a new Ian Hunter album. I’m also very curious how he follows up the 2012 release, When I’m President. I consider WIP to be the best release since Ian’s rebirth with the Rant band in 2001.

I listened to Fingers Crossed twice completely through and now I’m picking and choosing what I like for repeated listens. What does that say? It says I don’t have tons of disposable time plus it says that this release is not as instantly listenable as When I’m President. That said…probably unfair to compare with a previous album because Ian has rarely put out two albums of the same vibe back to back during his 41 year solo career.

WIP had six of 11 songs timing less than 4:00 minutes, Fingers Crossed has 2 of 10 songs coming in at less than 4:00 minutes. I’m not saying a song needs to be short to be good but there is something to be said about hit n run and not overstaying your welcome. I won’t mention WIP again.

The only stomper on the album (That’s When The Trouble Starts) is the opening track and this is a little misleading because no other track is this heavy. The centerpiece song of Fingers Crossed is Dandy which was released what seems like months ago. The track Dandy is a nice tribute to Ian’s departed friend David Bowie and uses plenty of borderline ‘too cute’ lyrical references. Ian gets a free pass on a few cheesy lines because the melody is one of the strongest on the album. Ian could make a career out of these sort of tribute songs, he’s done a dandy job eulogizing Sid Vicious, Freddie Mercury, Mick Ronson and now David Bowie.

The ballads are plenty and that isn’t really a bad thing, Ian Hunter can deliver a ballad like no other. I suppose it is fair to say that Fingers Crossed has a similar feel and vibe as the albums Man Overboard (2009) or Shrunken Heads (2007) as being a ballad first release. I’m pretty sure this is overall better than those but way too early to tell how many times I’ll play this a year from now (if I ever get a legit copy!).

The good songs are good. My early favorites are Ghosts which has a familiar sound and mid pace tempo, White House has a fun pumping organ (did I just say pumping organ?), Bow Street Runners is another instantly familiar song and it has some good hooks, Long Time re-visits a folksy blue grass style and I would actually like to hear Ian do an album in this genre. I have to mention Stranded In Reality because any song with aliens is pretty cool. Only real skipper after a couple listens is You Can’t Live In The Past.

The disappointment about local availability trumps the disappointment of this not being WIP pt II. Not even close to being a bad album.

Well done!
freeke
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shameless plug for my latest song. :-)

https://soundcloud.com/user-983538471/suns-beaches-damage-done
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artist: Todd Rundgren
Title: Live At The Ridgefield
Released: August 2016

It is Thursday and I'm listening to Rundgren...Thrundgrenday

So I'm listening to Todd's latest release (Live At The Ridgefield) which I haven't actually bought but I certainly can listen to it on Spotify for free.

A few short months ago I felt very uncomfortable and even slimy by listening to new albums for free. That was then, I'm now comfortable in the morally seedy yet very legal community of public music sharing. I'm growing as a person.

Oh I remember a time not so long ago...(entering random recollections)...I was a free lancing rebel dedicated to sharing unpublished musical documents with fellow lawless music lovers. I embraced the rush of adrenalin of putting contraband into an envelope (while looking over my shoulder) and securely taping the package shut so the contents could not be accessed without great effort. I looked forward to taking time out of my day and waiting in line at the post office side by side with the unsuspecting; they couldn't have guessed the deed about to be committed. I casually would make small talk with the mail clerk before forking over a few dollars to send the illegal goods cross country or even internationally. I was brazen almost daring them to question the legality of the contents. Could they know that behind my warm smile was the heart of a cold blooded bootleger? In return for my troubles, small packages secured with bubble wrap were occasionally dropped off in my mailbox. The contents always illegal but nary a word to my postmaster. I lived on the edge.

Yep, there was a real charm to sharing music with people because you had to know someone to be included; you needed a connection. This listening for free (legally) is very sterile...anybody can be listening. The ease of getting 'unbought' music is well, it's just too easy. Does any of that make sense? I suppose once a romantic always a romantic. Honor among thieves, indeed.

Anyways....the new CD is a Todd show from December 15th 2015 which is exactly five days after I saw this nearly identical show at Rocksino which is located between Akron and Cleveland. The setlist isn't exactly identical because Todd was picking the nightly list from about 40 songs but it's close enough for me and my blurred memory so this seems like a souvenir from a great show. However...my show did include Hammer In My Heart and A Dream Goes On Forever...just saying...not complaining.

The show starts with a short musical intro that includes the riff from Devil's Bite (pretty cool for fans of Runt) before jumping into the top 40 hit, I Saw The Light. That my friend is this entire release in a nutshell. It includes some unexpected songs while playing nearly all the radio friendly songs.

This release includes tracks from Todd's first band Nazz, his band Utopia and also most of the musical styles during his celebrated solo career including covering a couple R&B classics. This live collection contains tracks spanning 1968 to 2015 with about half coming from Todd's popular peak in the '70's.

There is no such thing as a perfect Rundgren collection (live or best of) because Todd has done so many different things during his career and he's collected fans at every stop.

(back to random recollections) I met a guy at a Todd concert once that swore Todd's best track was the 35 minute Treatise Of Cosmic Fire which is a side long synth workout from the album Initiation. He actually explained why it was best and then the conversation turned to understanding music and LSD. Clearly, Mr. Microdot's ideal setlist won't be the same as the Todd fan who is dancing to Bang The Drum All Day. Todd's prog fans will be a little disappointed because as I said earlier, nearly all the radio friendly songs are included on this release plus most of the regular concert favorites. Semi complaint - not included are Just One Victory which was a radio and concert staple of the '70's plus We Gotta Get You A Woman which was his first top 40 single. Not that I'm counting but that's four songs I wish were included.

The sound is good, the set list good and most important of all is that the band is tight. Anybody that has seen Todd more than a couple times will attest to the fact that Todd is not above working out songs in a live setting. None of that nonsense here, all the songs are rehearsed and good to go.

Favorites...well, I'm a sucker for Todd's guitar workouts. I just love when he throws his head back and starts wazzing on guitar. (Yes, 'waz' is the technical term for kicking ass on guitar). This leads to fun in concert conversations with Mrs. Buckeye, "Hey look, Todd's wazzing"!, "Yeah, he's really wazzing tonight"! Black Maria is the mother of all waz songs and it does not disappoint here, Todd really wazzes on it.

This is a slam dunk release for a dedicated Todd fan and a real good release for a fan who is remembering Todd from the '70's. (as long as they don't have their lighter out waiting for Just One Victory)

Included are hits; I Saw Light, Hello It's Me, Bang The Drum, Can We Still Be Friends. Nazz songs are Kiddie Boy and Open Your Eyes, Utopia songs are Love In Action and One World. Classics from the '70's include Couldn't I Just Tell You, Black and White, Love Of The Common Man, Black Maria and Sometimes I Don't Know What To Feel (which features some great dueling vocals with long time Utopia friend, Kasim Sultan).

It's a nice collection of songs. Good purchase...I mean...yeah...I suppose I should go buy a copy.

Glad that today is Thrundgrenday and I can't wait until next week for another Thrundgrenday.
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen The Rubettes ' at a packed Brunton Hall, Musselburgh. Excellent show and sound - these guys can play!

Bumped into some noteworthy Sparks fans there, eagerly anticipating word from R&R about the new album and tour. Here's hoping my fan club membership is not suddenly revoked...
Eric Murray
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABC Newcastle Saturday 22 October

The Southbank Philharmonic Orchestra came on stage, conducted by Anne Dudley (of The Art Of Noise fame) all looking very stylish and played a medley of ABC’s finest.

The band then came out one by one looking so smart with their pocket ABC handkerchiefs carefully positioned in their rightful place and the ladies looking very glamorous. Then there he was, what a presence with a touch of gold on his shoes.

The first half we were introduced to The Lexicon Of Love ll and Martin was very charismatic, humble and didn’t look a day older since the day I first saw him in 1982.

Viva Love, Flames of Desire – what classic ABC tunes – and Kiss Me Goodnight the new love song for 2016.

The show was so polished and perfect in every way.

Second half was devoted to The Lexicon Of Love – OMG, all the classics made extra special by the Orchestra and Anne Dudley’s magical touch.Anne had changed into an all red suit.

Everyone was up dancing in the isles.

Surprisingly the hall was only about 80% full - maybe the ticket price of £70 was a little off putting - a good show - yes - even the hankies were £10.
Eric Murray
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Damned
Glasgow ABC
Sunday November 20

Just wow - what a fantastic evening - will post an overview later but what showmen Captain Sensible and Dave Vanian are - and to think £25 a ticket ( and t shirts £15 )

Brilliant
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Murray at the O2-brilliantly focused whole hearted performance.What a great atmosphere nearly as good as Glasgow.He can't sing his way out of a paper bag but I ain't seen no gigs lately,so this will have to do. Currently No1 in the charts and deservedly so.Proud to follow this truly great sportsman for the last 12 years-OK not as long as i've been a Sparks fan but that's because Ron & Russell are just flying headlong out of control.
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Struts - these guys aren't brand spanking new but I finally got around to listening to the album a few weeks ago.

Really fun glammy glitter inspired by Queen (among others). It's really tough recommending just one song.

This one is as good as any.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abOhx2YtPyM
or this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARhk9K_mviE

Just in case you have doubts of their glam allegiance. The Struts recently released a version of 'Ballroom Blitz'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhQvXtVPqm0

New bands don't suck!
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deano wrote:
Andy Murray at the O2-brilliantly focused whole hearted performance.What a great atmosphere nearly as good as Glasgow.He can't sing his way out of a paper bag but I ain't seen no gigs lately,so this will have to do. Currently No1 in the charts and deservedly so.Proud to follow this truly great sportsman for the last 12 years-OK not as long as i've been a Sparks fan but that's because Ron & Russell are just flying headlong out of control.

Was he singing?
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

January 23...40th anniversary of first concert; Queen with Thin Lizzy.

Lighter still held high

RIP
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP - Overend Watts of Mott The Hoople
Eric Murray
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking to you - Izzy Bizu

has my attention
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Stuff and Nonsense All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 4 of 18

Jump to: