SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Synths used on No.1 In Heaven?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rykodisc
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Synths used on No.1 In Heaven? Reply with quote

I don't know if this question has been asked before but I'm curious to ask what synthesizers were used on the aforementioned album.

I remember seeing in the Beat the Clock video a Minimoog and in The Number One Song in Heaven a Moog; Oberheim and an ARP 2600 (as well as the audible Solina in the beginning).

I don't know if they've (apart from the Solina which is definitely recognisable) actually been used on the songs or just dressing for the videos.

It would be nice to know :)
PeterE
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was all Moroders gear, the big Moog at that time ..

you have a great avatar by the way : Can ... a great band!
Rykodisc
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh like 1/2/3c's... I had the assumption they could've been modular.

(Thank you :) favs are Tago Mago/Future Days)
Raoul
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rykodisc wrote:
Ahh like 1/2/3c's... I had the assumption they could've been modular.

(Thank you :) favs are Tago Mago/Future Days)
I didn't notice untill it was mentioned,,I think it was a good band,also like the work of Holger Czukay,especially;Movies and On The Way To The Peak Of Normal!
Simon Majury
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked a fellow Sparks fan who knows a lot more about synths than me. Hope this helps!! Hi mate, I'm not sure of my log in details on the forum anymore, it's been so long but I can give you some info to pass on. The synths were from Moroder's collection, the one seen on the inner sleeve is a Moog Modular synth, this would have provided a lot, if not all, the arpeggiated sounds, any arpeggiated sounds created not using this would have been done by adding delay, like on I Feel Love. Amongst Moroder's other synths at the time were an ARP 2600, a Multimoog, an Oberheim FVS-1, and a Sequential Circuits Prophet 5. Moroder definitely had more synths than this but I've never been able to confirm what others he owned at the time, believe me, I've tried 😉 This will at least give them a starting point, and with those you could certainly recreate all the sounds you hear on No. 1. I've never been able to clarify which Syn Drum was used for Tryouts, Academy and No. 1 but if it came up in a pub quiz I'd plump for a Pollard Syndrum, I don't know that for certain though.
Rykodisc
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon Majury wrote:
I asked a fellow Sparks fan who knows a lot more about synths than me. Hope this helps!! Hi mate, I'm not sure of my log in details on the forum anymore, it's been so long but I can give you some info to pass on. The synths were from Moroder's collection, the one seen on the inner sleeve is a Moog Modular synth, this would have provided a lot, if not all, the arpeggiated sounds, any arpeggiated sounds created not using this would have been done by adding delay, like on I Feel Love. Amongst Moroder's other synths at the time were an ARP 2600, a Multimoog, an Oberheim FVS-1, and a Sequential Circuits Prophet 5. Moroder definitely had more synths than this but I've never been able to confirm what others he owned at the time, believe me, I've tried 😉 This will at least give them a starting point, and with those you could certainly recreate all the sounds you hear on No. 1. I've never been able to clarify which Syn Drum was used for Tryouts, Academy and No. 1 but if it came up in a pub quiz I'd plump for a Pollard Syndrum, I don't know that for certain though.

Thank you sooo much <3 <3
PeterE
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they were not any syndrums on No 1 In Heaven...

they did not exist in 1978 ...
R&R pointed that out several times, it was "just" a drummer ...
Brightonian
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterE wrote:
they were not any syndrums on No 1 In Heaven...

they did not exist in 1978 ...
R&R pointed that out several times, it was "just" a drummer ...

A drummer yes, but the syndrums are unmistakable (syndrums are not the same as drum machines).

Incidentally, I'm certain Ron and Russell are wrong in claiming there were no drum machines in 1978/79. However, they were very primitive and too unstable* to take out for live performances.

*= the drum machines, not Ron and Russell.

The human drumming coupled with the wall of electronics is key to what makes No. 1 in Heaven such a brilliant album. It wouldn't have been quite so special with a drum machine then or now.
Rykodisc
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh like these ones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0ge9QacW4
Turtle152
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brightonian wrote:
A drummer yes, but the syndrums are unmistakable (syndrums are not the same as drum machines).

Yes the Syndrum is the very first sound you hear at the beginning of the album. Back then they were particularly popular with disco artists, in fact the goofy sound they made accounts for a large part of disco's essential aural decadence (I mean that in a good way).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Music Only All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: