SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hippo arrives !
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> General Sparks Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric Murray
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initial reaction - better than wonderful

Favourite - I Wish You Were Fun

Not Favourite - Giddy Giddy

Everyone is different in the Sparks Community
lilywearsmoschino
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting on mine. Listened to a streamed copy today and it's absolutely fantastic. Not the same as a physical copy though.

Can't wait until my bundle arrives to listen to the CD & LP properly and see the lyrics.

MiniPop Ron Playing
deadcalm
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Murray wrote:
Initial reaction - better than wonderful

Favourite - I Wish You Were Fun

Not Favourite - Giddy Giddy

Everyone is different in the Sparks Community

"I wish you were Fun" is a nailed on single...
Catchy as hell and extremely radio friendly ..
lemonjellydude
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am listening to the album on cassette!! It sounds great ! I love Scandinavian design and giddy giddy !
Oscar
Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The production on "A Little Bit Like Fun" is fantastic.
freeke
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscar wrote:
The production on "A Little Bit Like Fun" is fantastic.

I agree. Got totally swept up in the song.
freeke
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Amazing Mr Repeat is my favorite at the moment. The bridge section ("sign here, son") that starts 1:08 into the song and occurs twice is pure songwriting masterclass. The sound that appears 2:24 into the song reminds me a bit of the Noel record. Also, the "too slow" echo on the last note of the song cracked me up.
miss sparks
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hippo CD came yesterday, listen to once so far, Love all the songs except the last one. It's not the song i don't like it's the opera singing. Will be playing the CD non stop over the next few weeks before the London Gigs. Still waiting for the CD with the bonus song to come.
herecomesbob4
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been listening to the album non stop since I bought it yesterday.

'Hippopotamus' remains one of my favourites (I've lost count of the amount of times I've burst out singing 'there's a woman with an abacus')

'Scandinavian Design' and 'Missionary Position' remain the most catchy songs so far for me although all day I've been singing 'giddy giddy giddy, our entire city'

'Unaware' is the only song that hasn't got me singing along just yet but I'm sure it will eventually.
Gandhi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

herecomesbob4 wrote:
I've been listening to the album non stop since I bought it yesterday.

'Unaware' is the only song that hasn't got me singing along just yet but I'm sure it will eventually.

people are strange; "Unaware" was the first song that really catch me, but overall best album since 1994 Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins imo
allydodd
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blown away upon maiden listening. We think we know Sparks. We know every album will have them pulling rabbits out of a hat for our delight. This time they've invented so many tricks, its as if every minute we encounter a big surprise. Its amazing how they've switched music styles from different eras, not just between songs, but within songs, sometimes between lines. Yet, the flip-side of the trick is how they've conjured it up so seamlessly, so aptly that the ear is beguiled into believing that's exactly how its expecting to hear it. On astounding form throughout is Russell, no matter in what character he's singing - or on occasion, who marvellously with. Ron had warned there was some rough wood on the album - but what's touched me is more like an expertly crafted violin, polished to perfection.
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks have really nailed it again and their 2002 and onwards creative streak shows no signs of slowing.Totally love this double album so much.Can't pick out a favourite track but side 4 so far really grabs me.Proud as punch to be a fan and more radio stations need to play these wonderful tunes.Just wondering who to contact to claim from for a new stylus.The damn things are not cheap these days.Can't see this been off the turntable much for quite some time.The Amazing Mr Repeat once more again it spins.How lucky are we.
Spyke
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hippopotamus is a really strong and diverse album. The Maels are still very much at the top of their game, and sound completely in control of what they're doing while also going off in new directions. There's too much to all take in on one listen, so I'm sure it'll reward repeated spins. The packaging has been really well put together, too.
Favourite tracks at the moment: What The Hell Is It This Time?, Edith Piaf (Said It Better Than Me), Scandinavian Design, So Tell Me Mrs Lincoln...
DJ LX
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy was waiting for me when I got home from work tonight. I've listened to it three times. My favorite songs thus far - beyond the four they previewed last spring - are "I Wish You Were Fun," "Unaware, "A Little Bit Like Fun" & "Life with the MacBeths." Also, "Probably Nothing" reminds me a bit of "Batteries Not Included."
And that's it
Rykodisc
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've received mine in the post this afternoon coming back from college (which is why I've been absent for the past few days) I haven't listened to it full yet, I'm might be playing it tomorrow morning on the bus journey.
DJ LX
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Scandinavian Design" is really starting to emerge as a favorite. I can't decide if i like "Giddy Giddy."
And that's it

Last edited by DJ LX on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oscar
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any US fans who ordered directly from the Sparks store gotten theirs yet?
Kermit!
Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rather glorious bundle of double pictured disced albums, both packaged in a beautiful gatefold sleeve along with splendid photos of those Mael guys, still in their dressing gowns too, all arrived promptly on the day of the release. I suddenly had that wonderful Christmas day morning feeling of excitement that I used to get when the earlier albums came out. In those days of the mid 70's it was two pretty geisha girls dressed in Kimonos though. Those Mael guys were actually in clothes on the other side in black and white....(I so treasure my Sparks signed copy of my favorite album ever!!).... I had to carefully take disc 1 out of its sleeve, wonder at the luscious pool blue colored picture disc and then put it onto the record player, pick up the needle, put that on the record and then watch the whole thing all go spinning round as this brilliant music came blaring out of the speakers!! Hurray! The genius lyrics all written down on the inner sleeves mean I can sing along with Russell to my heart's content and learn all the words at the same time, just like I used to as a teenager....improving my vocal chords and enjoying dancing around the living room again as well!! Which is all very much needed exercise at my age....It's all mine forever to keep, adore, love and cherish!! And then I can do the whole friggin' ritual all over again with disc 2 too!! Who needs B-sides at a time like this eh???..(My, these Sparks guys are really spoiling us with this release!)...Oh the giddy, giddy joys of vinyl!!..
I was really never much a fan of invisible music. Who genuinely gets off on just boring air?? CD's were a bearable necessity but you just can't beat holding a good old heavy 12 incher or two in your hands. I'm so glad I have a really huge collection of them beauties still!!!!! Yay!!!!!
Times don't change much and all the good things eventually come back around again. Happy Days!! ,

The Future! The Future!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> General Sparks Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: