SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are You Playing this very Second Name and Rate it
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 147, 148, 149 ... 169, 170, 171  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching "One Love Manchester" with a mixture of heartfelt inspiration and melancholy. Saddest concert I've ever experienced albeit from the TV. A good showing to be proud about for us who are reared on pop. Happiest time of one's life is being at a pop concert, and I've been to countless over a lifetime. Its unthinkable that so many inexplicably lost their lives, best friends, family at a concert before they even reached the age I first had the unexpected pleasure of glimpsing Sparks live. Sparks were brilliant, and if anyone else becomes amazed in maybe a tenth of the wonder which they enraptured me, they surely are entitled to that innocent enjoyment without disapproval or anxiety. It doesn't matter who you love, you should have the right to savour that moment without fear. Feeling for all those Ariande Grande fans...
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Putting the Band Back Together" soundtrack from a (partially improvised) musical theatre piece enjoyed at the last Edinburgh Festival Fringe. Its about musicians who having abandoned their instruments for whatever sad reason, pick them up again years later. Features superb guitarist Ross Millard of the Futureheads, (who fans may call organised an accapella version of No1 in Heaven).
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really a fan of Fleetwood Mac. The only songs by Fleetwood Mac in my collection are on an Anthology by Peter Green. That release does have smoking versions of 'Oh Well' and 'Green Manalishi' but in general I'm not a fan.

I must say though, while not a fan of FM I really do like 'Go Your Own Way' and the solo offering by Buckingham, 'Holiday Road' is great.

Anyways...I just listened to the new release by Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie. Much better than i expected. Not high energy by any stretch but well crafted songs by veteran performers.

You could do worse than taking an hour and checking it out.

5/10
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching BBC TV's rockumentary "The Proclaimers: This is the Story". The two brothers are being interviewed by former Dr Who, David Tennant, and Matt Lucas contributes too. Features some music aces like Kevin Rowland, Paul Heaton and KT Tunstall. No less than Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon articulating the political and cultural impact of the duo, which I could relate as a likewise impressionable teenager. Captures the spirit of the boys.

9/10 Excellent.
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playin right now the Smokin lp by Humble Pie -bluesy rocking great tunes by Marriot and Co. He was some mighty fine singer for sure and the World is a far poorer place without his likes.
aussie
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deano wrote:
Playin right now the Smokin lp by Humble Pie -bluesy rocking great tunes by Marriot and Co. He was some mighty fine singer for sure and the World is a far poorer place without his likes.

I am very sad and sorry to say, the whole world has gone past its sell by date, the one good thing is music can bring people together

I HAVE WON LOTTO
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Title, the chartstorming breakthrough album, by Meghan Trainor. Cheerily bounces through pop genres. Gratuitous sax thrown in. Lyrics empowering and uplifting. Exactly the shake what the jaded pop world was needing at the time so I'll give it a 9.
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be going to a show in a couple weeks to see the Supersuckers for the fifth time. They are sort of an 'R' rated version of Motorhead meets Waylon Jennings but this post isn't about them. This post is about the co-headliner for the evening, a band called The Upper Crust. I figured I better do a little research.

It amazes me when I discover 20 year old bands and it seriously makes me reevaluate my friends and why they've never turned me onto such bands.

Anyways...the brand new 2017 release by The Upper Crust is allot of fun. More fun than recent glammers like The Darkness and Foxy Shazam.

I give it a solid 7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCxg6UE_qIQ
aussie
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drinking cold beer, eating indian food

back ground music van Morrison , back on top

8\10

I HAVE WON LOTTO
Sparky Rickmaniac
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pink Floyd at Their Mortal Remains exhibition at the V&A
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Raising Sand" by Alison Krauss and Robert Plant. Who says collaborations don't work ?

Looking forward to it performed live at one-off show, by an ad-hoc cover band, at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in a few weeks time.
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching BBC Proms 2017 on the box as I try to touch type.

Quote:
Ravi Shankar and Philip Glass recorded the studio album Passages together in 1989, a unique fusion of Hindustani sitar music with American minimalism. London's Royal Albert Hall sees the album performed in full for the first time, with Shankar's daughter Anoushka playing the sitar alongside an array of Indian soloists and the Britten Sinfonia, under conductor Karen Kamensek.

From 65 viewers the rating is an impressive 9.3!
Rykodisc
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Weight" by The Band.

A classic mixture of folk and R'n'B.
Kermit!
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been playing the new tracks from the upcoming Gary Numan album. "My name is ruin" to me especially is the best thing he's ever done in my opinion and I'me so looking forward to hearing the full album. Meanwhile I've also looked at his "Hybrid" double CD which is totally blowing me away and must have passed me by. There is an amazing new version of "Are friends electric?" on it that is like a new song entirely. Even if you ever vaguely liked a bit of Numan this is truly outstanding dark synth music at it's best.

The Future! The Future!
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Bowie The Man Who Sold the World LP. This for me is the start of a golden period right up until Scary Monsters LP in 1980.Think he had around 15 LPs in this 10 year piece of creative brilliance that would rival any stint in music.Mick Ronson is sublime here too on this LP. Saw a fab Mick Ronson production in Hull the other night called Turn & Face the Strange. Members of the Rats playing amongst other musicians.Great night out and it needs to be rolled out on tour.Twelve quid what value for money in a World were novelty muzak acts play to full venues at 100 quid plus a pop.
miss sparks
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see i'm not the only one listening to Gary Numan. Listen to A question of faith, still sounds so good played loud.
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Present: listening to Hippopotamus by Sparks, (and know I'm not the only one finishing my first listen).

Past: is as if every excellent, intrepid Sparks album has been leading up to this incredible work. Ron Playing

Future: How could anyone, anywhere ever make a better album?

11/10 given defiant Sparks propel beyond the limitations of musical possibility known to mankind.
deadcalm
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids in America - Kim Wilde ----------------- 10 -10

some early dutch TV promo video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_GH6M7cUq4
Kermit!
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't stop playing the 12" version of Alphaville's 'Sounds like a melody'. In my opinion it's their best song ever. It's totally bonkers. 'Big in Japan' rises up now and again but 'Sounds like a melody' is just the most amazing and wonderfully happy song. Full 12" version though for full effect.

The Future! The Future!
deadcalm
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Solemn Hour - Within Temptation 10-10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCxb8FwhzK8

No one does symphonic metal better than this lot. reminds me to go out and buy a poppy..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Stuff and Nonsense All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 147, 148, 149 ... 169, 170, 171  Next
Page 148 of 171

Jump to: