SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scary Sparks Fans
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you have ever met another Sparks fan were it not for the internet machine?
yes
47%
 47%  [ 20 ]
no
52%
 52%  [ 22 ]
noidea
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 42

SOLDAT
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orange Sound wrote:
Buna ziua, Soldat. Numele meu este Orange Sound.
Scuzat'i-mã: I can't really speak Romanian.

I'm curious to know what was your first introduction to Sparks' music in Romania? 8O

im 22 years old, i first saw sparks in 94.
wtigtsmw reached no1 in a local VIVA Top, and WIKYou reached no2. these songs were realy apreciaded in thouse times
rwolf'68
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met a Sparks fan recently at a volleyball game and have turned him on to one cd after another each week. He had purchased Kimono and that was his first to experience. Then i gave him Propaganda and now Lil' B. He's hooked !
rael
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a lot of people who like Sparks, but I wouldn't call all of them fans, because some of them are people over 50 and they just know this band from their Kimono-Propaganda-Indiscreet.
Eric
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As many other Sparks fans have experienced as well, when growing up I really thought I was the only fan around. I took my 70's LP's to school and tried to do my best to recruit other fans. It was so obvious they were the best there ever was - why wasn't anybody seeing it? One or two got hooked but only for a short while. Very depressing. The worst was when the disco wave hit and I tried to play Introducing at school dances. Everybody just froze when A Big Surprise came on. Sometimes we got to Occupation, but that was really it. I then started to approach several magazines asking them to cover Sparks. The weirdest experience was when I managed to have a Swedish teenage girls magazine (!) to cover Sparks. I was so desperate for Sparks coverage I even had to create some of it myself. Even Mary Martin wrote me back several times - she probably thought I was suicidal. Her handwritten letters were so calming and they were the only proof to me there were other people out there like myself (like their own mother, of course I didn't know then). It took many many years before I started to meet other, real, Sparks fans, mostly at concerts. There's always such a great and rewarding experience to meet other fans.. unbelievable.
gravitytest
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend recently threatened to let the tyres down on my car if I ever made him listen to a Sparks album again. This was after I insisted he check out Lil' Beethoven a week after he'd dismissed Kimono my house as a load of gay nonsense.
CALI
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gravitytest wrote:
My friend recently threatened to let the tyres down on my car if I ever made him listen to a Sparks album again. This was after I insisted he check out Lil' Beethoven a week after he'd dismissed Kimono my house as a load of gay nonsense.

Well, at least you know who your true friends are!! Mine just put up with me now...but I think they are coming around to my way of thinking!!

Also please tell your friends, it is not gay nonsense. It is absolute music genius!!
fossilise_apostle
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gravitytest wrote:

ha ha! extreme sparks reactions!
LilSparks
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: sparks Reply with quote

im 25 ive been into sparks for a year not been to a gig yet but hoping to get to one this year
Girl From Glastonbury
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I discovered this site, I spent years thinking I was the only Sparks fan on the planet.
Of course, I had like - minded friends in the hysterical early 70s, when a lot of people ( mainly girlies ) experimented with Sparks ( Russell, in particular..) in the five minutes between the end of David Cassidy worship, and the discovery of Simon Le Bon. It didn't last long. By the late 70s I was at university in Wales being sneered at, because at that time it was compulsory for all students to be into the Police or Ska, and Sparks didn't write any songs with " Na na na " or "Do do do" in the lyrics and so were frowned on for not being intellectually viable. In the early 80s, I had Sparks albums shipped to me in plain brown wrappers by a strange man called Mr. Wildebeest, who had pale eyes and lived in Stoke Newington, Penge. Eagerly, I used to indulge my Sparks fetish in private, until one terrible day I was doing my special " Pulling Rabbits" dance ( In the appropriate costume, of course) and the postman spied me in bewilderment through the kitchen window. Oh, the shame of being exposed!! I did what any Sparks addict would do; I moved to a more forgiving town.
By the "Interior Design" years, even Mr. Wildebeest shook his head when I requested Sparks, and I was reduced to doing deals for the latest release in some squalid gay druid bar at the wrong end of Glastonbury high street. Okay, so "Interior Design" was the musical equivalent of a barbed-wire enema, but by this time I was desperate; it was Sparks, and I HAD TO HAVE IT!!! And then, horror of horrors!! THE RELEASES DRIED UP!! Years of silence followed, and I was reduced to buying Sparks records I already had in Ever So Slightly Different Sleeves just to satisfy my craving.....
And so, gentle reader, it was a blessed relief to discover this site, and find that there are dozens, nay, hundreds of other people out there who share my addiction....I AM sane, after all.....
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SANE???...how can anyone claim to be sane whilst mentioning barbed wire enemas..I can scarce reply for the automatic clenching of my buttocks...which BTW are so clenched they think they are back in the Marist Brother shower room....lol

Anyway...I have to say I have met loads of people thanks to this site and far from being scary,they are thoroughly decent people...OK maybe with a skewed view of life....but it seems to be a shared view.No gentle reader..opposites do not attract...like calls to like in the world of Sparks!!
CALI
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GFG's sad lament sounds very much like my own. None of my friends were into Sparks at all even though they thought Russell was fairly! gorgeous. This has continued up until the present day. Never mind, at least I have good taste in music.

A barbed wire enema? When I was a nurse I used to be a dab hand at giving the 3H enema (high, hot and helluva lot!).
wonder girl
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for 30 years I've loved Sparks and only knew a handful of girls at school who liked them. I've had 30 years of ribbing and joking for liking Ron and Russell even to this day I get some comment, but it's like water off a ducks back I like who i like and I still wear a Sparks lapel badge when I go out!!
BUT by saying that if Sparks are on the radio or tv I always get a phone call just to let me know they're still going ( yeh!! as if I needed to know that)
So there you go thank goodness I can come and browse this site and get a taste of other Sparks fans views and info

Oh to have great taste!!!!
tantricgoddess

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: My response Reply with quote

I met sparks in jan 2001<<right here in Melbourne and they videoed the event<<<I had then waited 27 years to meet them<<up close and personal<,I did too! HAH<<<It's definitely music that U can dance to<<<and I met other fans aswell<<
CALI
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is lovely to meet up with other fans. At least you get to talk about our idols without being given the 'look'!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Polls All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: