SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbies' corner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> General Sparks Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucky Me
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Newbies' corner Reply with quote

As a newbie I thought I would introduce myself. It all started in Paris! As a young (female) student I had joined up with my family for an Easter holiday there. One evening in the hotel I turned on my radio and this fantastic song came pouring out, the like of which I had never heard before (TTABEFTBOU needless to say!) By the end of 1974 I had all 4 albums to that date plus the singles, and I went on to be bowled over by “Indiscreet” and delighted by “Big Beat”; but after that, and with other responsibilities looming large, I drifted away not just from Sparks but music in general – not being exactly enamoured of the disco mania in vogue around that time. I was aware of “No 1 Song in Heaven” and “Beat the Clock” on the radio though and liked them. Fast forward to 2011 when, after playing some old songs on YouTube, I thought it would be a good idea to catch up on all the Sparks albums I had missed. I got as far as “Terminal Jive”, decided I didn’t like it, and gave up – bad mistake in retrospect, as “Whomp that Sucker” more than makes up for its predecessor! So it wasn’t until I was listening to Radio 4’s “Front Row” last year, when Ron and Russell were on talking about “Hippopotamus”, that I was really drawn back into the fold. I was impressed by their obvious dedication to their craft, with Russell describing how working out in the gym helped him to maintain his vocal range. I bought “Hippopotamus” and loved it just like the earlier Sparks albums all those years ago – so then it was back to catching up in earnest this time. I feel lucky to have got another chance to get to know all their music, not being in the first flush of youth any more. So, that’s my story! Just wish there were some DVDs from the 21 x 21 concerts. The Lil’ Beethoven Live in Stockholm one is just magical (loved Tammy and Dean on that one too).
sjadey
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! There's also DVDs of Live in London from the Balls tour and Dee Vee Dee from the Hello Young Lovers tour.
miss sparks
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, I only came back in the last year, after being away for a long time. I too had a lot catching up to do. Check your inbox i sent you a message.
Lucky Me
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the welcome sjadey and miss sparks, and also for the info. I just got those 2 other DVDs as well - great viewing to brighten a dark, dull time of year. "Hello Young Lovers" is definitely one of my favourites of all the albums.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> General Sparks Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: