SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tiny Tim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> General Sparks Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJ LX
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Tiny Tim Reply with quote

Have Ron or Russell ever commented on Tiny Tim's music? I'd be interested to hear what they thought of him. Did they view TT as a fellow traveler of sorts - an eccentric musical talent paving his own path - or as more of a novelty, good for a few laughs on late night TV, but nothing more? Or were/are they largely indifferent?
And that's it
Simonanxious

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also interested in this. But I do think Zappa or Van Vliet comes closer inspiration-wise. SPARKS are fantastic musicians, while Tim is an interesting character with a fantastic falsetto, but his music is severely lacking and wears thin quickly.
Ruud
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing they had in common was their manager of those days; Roy Silver. That was during the Bearsville years. I'm not sure whether the Maels ever commented on Tiny Tim's music.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DJ LX
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simonanxious wrote:
I'm also interested in this. But I do think Zappa or Van Vliet comes closer inspiration-wise. SPARKS are fantastic musicians, while Tim is an interesting character with a fantastic falsetto, but his music is severely lacking and wears thin quickly.

Tiny Tim, while quite talented, seems to fall more into 'novelty act' category. Nonetheless, with his prominent use of falsetto, his penchant for older popular music forms, and his flamboyant presentation, Tiny could be seen as an archetype of sorts for some of the things Sparks went on to do. I just finished reading the recent Tiny Tim biography, Eternal Troubador: the Improbable Life of Tiny Tim. While the Maels weren't mentioned, Tim did have a lot of high profile fans: Dylan, Lennon, Jagger, Clapton ... They appreciated his talent, his passion for and knowledge of early 20th century pop music, his original presentation and all around chutzpah.

Ruud wrote:
The one thing they had in common was their manager of those days; Roy Silver. That was during the Bearsville years. I'm not sure whether the Maels ever commented on Tiny Tim's music.

Roy Silver was mentioned frequently in the Tiny Tim bio, as were sundry other managers Tim that burned through over the years. Didn't know he managed Sparks at one point.
And that's it

Last edited by DJ LX on Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ruud
Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was the one who got Sparks to Europe at the end of 1972 but, since nobody really had any responsibility for them and everyone assumed somebody else knew, there was only a small budget. The moment they found out there wasn't really a budget and they had spent a lot of money on hosting them in the UK, they put them back on a plane to the US, right before what should have been their final gig at the Marquee. Out of the four gigs booked, only the very first one went through.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Brightonian
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruud wrote:
He was the one who got Sparks to Europe at the end of 1972 but, since nobody really had any responsibility for them and everyone assumed somebody else knew, there was only a small budget. The moment they found out there wasn't really a budget and they had spent a lot of money on hosting them in the UK, they put them back on a plane to the US, right before what should have been their final gig at the Marquee. Out of the four gigs booked, only the very first one went through.

It's funny isn't it, because people still talk about those Marquee shows as a 'residency', even though most didn't happen.
JUDE TURPIN
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiny Tim`s album God Bless Tiny Tim is absolutely fantastic. It really is. Falsetto always fascinates us Sparks fans, naturally, and Tim`s was one of the greatest. Check out his one man duets on the album.
DJ LX
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JUDE TURPIN wrote:
Tiny Tim`s album God Bless Tiny Tim is absolutely fantastic. It really is.

Due In no small part to Richard Perry's wonderful production.
And that's it
JUDE TURPIN
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely. He also produced for the late, great Nilsson.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> General Sparks Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: