SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Album Club - Sparks catalogue reviewed over 24 weeks (2023)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterloosunset wrote:
@highersynth, There is assorted reportage about Morrissey's statements and Sparks's unhappiness with them. This one is pretty succint.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/music/news/sparks-singer-disillusioned-by-morrissey-comments/36934646.html

Then after that, there is Morrissey's response

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/morrissey-responds-to-criticism-from-sparks/

What an arse! Never was a Morrissey fan, but gratitude is not how fandom works!

waterloosunset wrote:
If you don't know about Morrissey's teenage obsession with Sparks, I and many others can fill you in on that later (my fave is Morrissey's almost dumpster diving for Sparks' leftover rolls in a hotel)

I do not - have to say that being a Sparks fan is the only thing I've ever found likeable about Morrissey. He sounds like he had it bad!
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morrissey was president of a NY Dolls fan club as a teen. He is 100% responsible for their reunion in the 2000’s.
waterloosunset
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was broken-hearted when the writer of "I am human and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does" said the things that he said. I was SUCH an insane Smiths fan back in the 80s - I saw them 4 times in the States, and that was no mean feat - that one year I rearranged an entire vacation because of them (husband was not happy) and another year I went to NYC from Boston on a bus to see them, took the midnight bus back to my office, brushed my teeth, and taught class. He wrote adorable things about Sparks to the NME. And as Randy said, he got the New York Dolls to get back together about 20 years ago. I might have gone to see Morrissey again had he not spewed that nonsense, but my heart says "no" now.

I apologize for dragging this off topic. Back to Woofer. I feel somewhat meh about Angus Desire, too, though I don't dislike it.
phdave that afternoon
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a funny sound in Angus somewhere after "Summer heat ebbs, romance denied". Is that "Nope"?
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phdave that afternoon wrote:
There is a funny sound in Angus somewhere after "Summer heat ebbs, romance denied". Is that "Nope"?

I've always thought it was "Well!" (or "Oh well!" but with the two bleeding into each other so it sounds more "Ohwell!") because it runs nicely into the next line as an almost despondent..."Well.... it's back to school..." As if he has been sexually unfulfilled during the holidays .
Oscar
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably my least favorite of what most people would consider Sparks' "classic" albums, and that's because it's the only album where it sounds to me like they're trying to be weird (as opposed to trying to be "normal" while their natural weirdness shines through). I think some of that has to do with the production and the way Russell's voice sounds, but it also has to do with his singing, which feels kind of cutesy in a way it doesn't on any other album, and some of the songs are just more...odd than clever/funny/insightful. Where the debut sounded crisp and clear and lovely, this album feels kind of murky.

That said, I love "Girl from Germany," "Here Comes Bob," and especially "Moon Over Kentucky." I appreciate "Beaver O'Lindy" (and loved hearing it live on this tour) and "The Louvre," and some others. "Underground" is much preferable to "Biology 2" as far as Mankey tracks go.

"Nothing Is Sacred" and "Angus Desire" are the ones that come to mind when I think about what I don't like about this album.

Overall, I give it a 6/10.
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get what you mean @Oscar about effortful weirdness - I can see though why they or their producer might have leaned into that a bit following Halfnelson's reception.
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Andy M - you think your mind is bad - mine must be much worse. I have a theory about Beaver O’Lindy which I’m almost too embarrassed to air, but here goes… When I first heard this song at age 15 this interpretation strangely never occurred to me, even though at that point I was frankly obsessed with sex, much like every other 15 year-old on the planet.
I now hear in it the ruminations of a pubescent boy doing what pubescent youngsters do when alone in their rooms.

“I'm one minute older and I'm doing all right / I'll gain valuable experience in front of you tonight” - “you” in this case being a mirror or a girly magazine?
“They say my voice is going to change” - tells us he’s at that age, speaks for itself
“Well, I'm the girl in your head but the boy in your bed” - the girl fantasy that makes the boy in the bed more evident
“You've seen me before, you'll see me much more” - ie what was probably an occasional occurrence is about to become a habit/obsession
“Well, I'm as big as can be, as big as TV” - need I explain??!
“Your wallet-sized friend” - a horny photo? A condom? Something more organic??

Though what in heaven’s name the trash-man’s valet or the London that’s dead have to do with literally anything, I have no idea. That’s where it all falls down!

Next, another take on The Louvre - I think it’s significant that “This one’s a monument to Change”. The overt narrative as @Alex says is Night at the Museum - agreed. But if that’s all there is to it, then it’s irrelevant that this statue is a monument to Change. I feel there’s a subtext here about human nature [and on this album, especially teenage human nature] constantly pestering for change, but when it comes right down to it, NOT really wanting it. “Let’s see you lift me - I dare you to try” - and that final stanza in French which I understand translates as “Someone heard my plea / For a few hours, I have been flying / But at dawn she will leave me / And the walls will close on me / Only the cold marble will remain” - ie she toyed with Change, but in the end did not really want it. So much rebellion is wanting things to change, but without any of the downsides that come alongside the new order. The grass is greener (but still needs mowing).

I also wanted to add - Whippings and Apologies is another that’s near the top of my “Woofer” chart. I love the punky energy and vocal on it, and the anger expressed at the subject being bullied into agreement.

Overall score 7/10. My earlier observation about unfavourable comparison with Halfnelson has evaporated in the heat of examination and explanation.
waterloosunset
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that The Mona Lisa’s Packing is a lyrical extension of The Louvre.
phdave that afternoon
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I heard Underground I thought I was listening to Talking Heads (until the vocals started).
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I heard Underground I thought I was listening to Talking Heads (until the vocals started).

I totally get that...but never made the sound connection before...maybe because I was into Sparks before Talking Heads arrived
SteveBoyce
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking Heads didn’t exist till several years later. Obviously Earle Mankey was before his time (he went on to produce the Beach Boys didn’t he? Very creative guy)
Regarding Beaver oLindy I seem to remember that all the band members contributed bits to that song, so it’s probably pretty futile looking for a coherent meaning to the lyric?
Didn’t Jim Mankey write the verse to ‘Moon’ and Ron the chorus?
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveBoyce wrote:

Regarding Beaver oLindy I seem to remember that all the band members contributed bits to that song, so it’s probably pretty futile looking for a coherent meaning to the lyric?
Didn’t Jim Mankey write the verse to ‘Moon’ and Ron the chorus?

Probably @Steve - I bow to those with greater knowledge than mine! One of the things I love Sparks for though is that they provide scope for these sorts of conversations - like all great artists, they conceive the thing, create it and put it out there: we get to work out what it means to us.
I always think of Sparks not so much as a band as an Art Installation!
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Week 3 of Album Club - w/c 23rd July - Kimono My House

You can find a link to the album on Spotify here:
https://open.spotify.com/album/7KOmuu3cbJQEQYGt3XmLmY?si=Zmxxnj5NQxC2JLqIAcCfPQ

Prompts for discussion, if needed, at the top of the thread.
Enjoy!
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a great deal of people this was my first Sparks album...
When I was involved with the covers album A Rainbow Over The Freeway, I was persuaded to write a small piece on how I "got into" Sparks...long story short, I heard this track on the radio was blown away by first listen, caught the name Sparks so went to Groucho's and asked for Sparks single...they sold me Girl From Germany as that was the only Sparks single in stock. I had heard of Sparks previously as a mate's big brother had seen them on the OGWT and assumed (correctly as it turned out) that they were the kind of group that would appeal to me. I spotted a picture in The Daily Record...read this thing about Sparks...ah here was the group I had heard and been told about. Went back to Groucho's following weekend and ordered Kimono My House...not a track on there I disliked. Been hooked ever since...(..ps it was the week after I ordered the first two albums).
Still love this album with a passion still love every track equally and still get the same frisson every listen as I did on the very first listen. The song lyrics are imo self explanatory and can't be misconstrued or need explaining.
Choosing a favourite song is hard but Equator ticks so many boxes.
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was slightly delayed by a year or so but this was my introduction to Sparks. My buddy dropped this on me in '75 along with Queen, Mott The Hoople, Alice Cooper and a host of others. Thanks, Mike.

Sparks have been somewhere in my conscience for nearly 50 years now, this album started it. Totally in my musical DNA, I know every noise on this album.

Favorites, well...almost every track has been at one point or another. Consistently it has been This Town, Thank God It's Not Christmas and Hasta Mañana, Monsieur.

The album has aged well, when replacing my LP collection with CDs, this was high on my list to get. I'll tell you, in the pre-Amazon days some things were not easy to find off the shelf.

Iconic album art, iconic songs, a near perfect 9/10...what the Hell, we'll say 10/10.
veryoldfan
Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'll bite (because I'm supposed to be doing something else entirely but I don't want to ).

2 questions for the jury:
1. Are we discussing (a) the albums as originally released or (b) including re-issues and their bonus tracks? Or both?
2. Covers: do our fantasy cover artists have to be still alive?
3. Are we allowed to go back and comment on previous albums (which would make the thread a bit messy admittedly)?

Assuming that answer to (1) is (a):

Kimono My House:

If you'd asked me back in 1974 I'd have given it a '10'. But this would've been a short thread. Now I give it an 8 as there are possibly Sparks albums that I like more and definitely some that I play more often.

Favourite track has always been 'Here in Heaven' although 'Equator' (which I didn't think too much of at the time but I was only 13, I've come to love it since) comes a close second. I don't know exactly why I like HiH so much, it's just the whole sound of it but I particularly like the way Russell's vocals soar into "...completely surrounding you", it still gives me goose bumps, and I love the instrumental part in the middle. It's a very exciting song to listen to despite its morose subject matter.

Least favourite track has to be (dare I say it?) 'This Town...', not because it's anything less than brilliant but simply because for me it suffers from over-exposure and when I listen to the album I tend to skip it. Been there done that once too often.

I've been fortunate enough to see the whole album, and various individual songs, performed live a few times. I'd nominate 'Equator' to see again, it amazes me that Russell can still pull this one off and it has a really spellbinding effect live.

I'd quite like to see another artist/band have a crack at 'In My Family' but can't think who off-hand. Iggy Pop maybe.
veryoldfan
Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know that's 3 questions, last one was an afterthought
phdave that afternoon
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before this week I had only ever heard This Town, Amateur Hour, and Here in Heaven, all of which I love. Looking forward to repeat listening of the whole album this week.

In case anyone has not heard it, here is a link to the Sparks episode of Song Exploder, featuring This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both of Us.
Toughest Girl In Town
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a lot of fellow fans here, this album introduced me to Sparks, and more specifically "This Town", that made me want to listen to the full album after that, and then other albums, and finally made me the die-hard fan I am now as a result.

Because of that, "This Town" remains the song I love the most on this album, but "Here in Heaven", "Lost and Found" or "Hasta Manana Monsieur" are great pieces of art too.

To me, the weakest song is probably "Talent is an asset", where the lyrics are clever (as they always are with Ron), but the melody sounds a bit like a nursery rhyme to me, and I'm not a big fan.

However, the whole album deserves a solid 9/10 since it gets very close to perfection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Music Only All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 4 of 29

Jump to: