SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tribute album Kimono My House

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> General Sparks Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruud
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:23 am    Post subject: Tribute album Kimono My House Reply with quote

Hello,

I'd like to draw your attention to the message below that was published in the Sparks Facebook groups:

𝗧𝗵𝗲𝘆 𝗮𝗹𝘄𝗮𝘆𝘀 𝘀𝗮𝗶𝗱 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗺𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝘆 𝗯𝗲𝘁𝘄𝗲𝗲𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗲𝘀
𝗕𝗲 𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗶𝗹𝘆 𝗱𝗲𝗳𝗶𝗻𝗲𝗱 𝗼𝗿 𝘆𝗼𝘂'𝗿𝗲 𝘄𝗮𝘀𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝘁𝗶𝗺𝗲
𝗜𝘁 𝗱𝗼𝗲𝘀𝗻'𝘁 𝗵𝗮𝘃𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗯𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘄𝗮𝘆, 𝗼𝗸𝗮𝘆?

A 50th Anniversary Tribute to the classic 'Kimono My House' LP by the legendary Sparks!

Featuring an unbelievably diverse range of awesome bands from the underground rock scene including Besvärjelsen, Black Helium, Earl Of Hell, Sergeant Thunderhoof, Chaosmonaut, Krooked Tongue, SILVERY, Josiah, Tony Reed of Mos Generator & more to be announced!
https://www.kickstarter.com/.../sparks-kimono-my-house-50...

Glorious artwork provided by the ever fantastic Sara-Jane Swettenham - Illustrations, Mastered by Tony Reed.

We don’t tend to do things in a traditional run of the mill kind of way at Pale Wizard Records and that’s why we massively respect Sparks, who have made forging your own path an art over the last 50 plus years of their career. The lyrics above from the beautiful track ‘It Doesn’t Have to Be That Way’ from their very latest album could be the motto for many a small record label like us.

We have always tried to do something that little bit different when it comes to our releases. Our 50 Years Later series is the perfect example of that. We recruit a roster of rock bands to take on a classic album turning 50 years old in its entirety and then release our version exactly 50 years later to the original release date. But we don’t like to choose the obvious albums, otherwise we’d be putting out Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath or Deep Purple tributes every year.
Nearly 50 years before ‘It Doesn’t Have to Be That Way’ was released, Sparks made their commercial breakthrough with ‘Kimono My House’ in May 1974.

This is an album that holds a special place in the hearts of all Sparks fans. After all, it’s the one with ‘This Town’, ‘Amateur Hour’ and that perennial fan favourite track ‘Here in Heaven’. Whilst being the best-known Sparks album without a doubt, it was far from the most obvious choice of album for us to visit for 50 Years Later. But when it comes to obvious, it doesn’t have to be that way, okay?

So Pale Wizard Records proudly presents ‘Kimono My House: 50 Years Later’ a tribute to Sparks. We have curated a roster of some of the top underground rock bands from around the world to recreate all 10 tracks of Kimono in their own style. Our album will be released on coloured vinyl, CD and digitally through streaming and downloads on May 1st 2024, 50 Years Later. Our releases are properly licenced so Ron & Russell will be compensated for the use of their songs.

Today we are launching our Kickstarter campaign so backers of the project can receive some exclusive goodies. There is a special Kickstarter exclusive vinyl colour variant for example. There is a full FAQ on the Kickstarter page but I’m more than happy to answer any questions in the group. We have 10 top bands featuring on the LP and potentially more on the CD/digital version (depending on how the Kickstarter goes) as bonus tracks. I’ve also had Ruud from the wonderful Fanmael website very kindly agree to write some liner notes for this release.

This is the fourth volume of the 50 Years Later series, previously we have produced tributes to Alice Cooper, David Bowie and Budgie for 2021, 2022 and 2023 respectively.
For me personally, Sparks have quickly become my favourite band over the last few years since I fell for their charms around the time of Annette being released. This album has been an absolute joy to put together, and I aim to provide a quality product for fellow Sparks fans to enjoy and something that maybe even Ron and Russell themselves would get a kick out of.

If you like the sound of this, please take a look at the Kickstarter below and consider backing us.

Thank you.

Tim Hilleard
Pale Wizard Records
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Andy M
Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ruud - looks to be an interesting venture and well worth a punt!
Brightonian
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondered if anyone else backed the Kickstarter? Pale Wizard have released the digital version to backers and I have to say this is fantastic tribute with some great covers that also works very well as a cohesive album.

It skews guitar-heavy (a good thing) and there's honestly not a bad cover on the album, even if a couple of the tracks may irritate anyone who feels cover versions should always be faithful to the originals.

I'd definitely recommend purchasing, which anyone can do by looking up 'Pale Wizard' on Bandcamp.
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had trouble with the Kickstarter...but I think I managed it. Thing is I can't remember, I was in contact with Pale Records and I think they sorted it out...
Brightonian
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Robertson wrote:
I had trouble with the Kickstarter...but I think I managed it. Thing is I can't remember, I was in contact with Pale Records and I think they sorted it out...

You should have received an email message from them, Alex, with instructions on how to download the digital versions via Bandcamp, ahead of the physical releases being sent out. So, if you haven't, definitely get back in touch with them.

I was listening to the album again today ... and its great!
palewizardrecords

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support guys, less than two weeks to the release now and I can't wait for everyone to hear how the album turned out!

There are a few tracks up on our YouTube channel for anyone who would like a bit of a preview. Here's 'Here in Heaven' covered by Josiah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttRW9caFyU0&ab_channel=PaleWizardRecords

There's some other Sparks related stuff on our YouTube channel including a chat about 'Kimono My House - 50 Years Later' itself and an epic ranking video of the whole Sparks discography!

You can buy the album on our Bandcamp and BigCartel pages on vinyl, CD (with two bonus tracks) and digital. Liner notes for this release were very kindly provided by Martin Gordon and Ruud from FanMael.

Tim (Pale Wizard Records)
Spyke
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to giving it a listen!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> General Sparks Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: