SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Album Club - Sparks catalogue reviewed over 24 weeks (2023)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving the love in this thread!
Interesting to hear @PhDave yearning for funny lines in Ugly Guys. I hadn't viewed it as needing them - I guess I find it affirming to hear those somewhat cynical, but essentially true ideas expressed so eruditely. As someone blessed with neither great looks nor money, I totally "hear" the narrator.

Life sucks sometimes - I think I appreciate Ron's sardonic wit especially when he's not being overtly funny; it's my kind of humour (along with the silly, punny kind he's also so good at). I wonder sometimes if that's a british thing? Whether we sometimes, culturally / on the whole / speaking very sweepingly, have a drier humour than our cousins across the pond? (I actually think Ron alludes to that in the song England).

And @Oscar - I envy all that Sparksness at your wedding!!
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Buckeye Randy - message for you stuck in my outbox. Not deafing you out!!
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How Suburban Homeboy got me a ban from HMV.

WHen the single Suburban Homeboy was announced, with the "Ron Speaks" version , I knew I had to buy it.
Crawley at the time was blessed with an HMV store and a Virgin, but I had a loyalty card at HMV so it was my first port of call to buy the single.
Searched high and low but couldn't find it, so recruited the aid of a young employee, she couldn't have been more helpful, as it wasn't on the shelves or in the storeroom, she went to look it up on the computer ( I was armed with issue number)...a supercilious pr*ck of a manager decided he would assert his authority over the young girl and " show how it was done", I assured him I was quite happy with her assistance. Of course he needed some affirmation in his life to prove his worth, I suppose, so he took over. He couldn't find any sign of the single on the computer either, so his conclusion was to the effect of me being mistaken about the release date, despite me showing him a Sparks email. So he said ,"If it isn't on the computer it isn't a release as this has access to EVERY new release in the world!" I assured him he was wrong and left.
I did my little bit of shopping in The County Mall, ending up at Virgin...and lo and behold there on a New Release rack sat the new single, which of course I purchased....you'd think that'd be an end, but no!
My return journey took me past HMV, so me being me decided to show the manager my newly acquired "non-existent" single. He was at the front desk, holding court but not serving, so I brandished the little plastic square with its stylised Beethoven on the front and said, "Here's the single you said doesn't exist, what does your all seeing oracle of a computer say about that?" I don't think he liked being bearded in his own den, especially in front of his ( now smirking) underlings.

He started shouting, yes shouting,"Get out of my shop, get out or I'll call security. You've no right to bring goods from other stores in here!". Not sure where he got that rule from as it would mean you'd have to leave purchases from any other shop outside any shop.
I leaned close and whispered, " Get security because I'm sure your superiors would love the publicity...you tinpot w*nk*r. Rest assured a letter of complaint about your treatment of a customer is next on my agenda!" As I was departing he must have felt the need to assert authority AGAIN...he shouted, "You're banned, banned from every HMV in the country, don't ever...." Then he stopped I think because I halted my exit and turned slowly to eyeball him. His face was scarlet, whether this was embarrassment or anger I'll never know, I just shook my head and walked out. I did email and had an apologetic reply saying the matter was being dealt with and the manager in question would be attending a training course.
Despite my ban I continued to visit HMV but never ever saw that guy again.
SteveBoyce
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Brightonian I don't remember where that tidbit about "So Important" came from (it's 30 years ago after all!)
I still have somewhere that dummy "national enquirer" flyer that was done for GSASV
I have somewhere Balls with an early version of "Calm before..." on it and I think maybe the running order is different?
Was at the UEA thing for Plagiarism, remember meeting superfan Derek Paice.
Was also at the LilB Premiere, still have the program somewhere.
Suburban Homeboy I thought let Lil B down, not only in tonality but also since it highly resembles "Back Home" imo. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75zsGLp3GB0 ) But I like the Ron Speaks version.
Spyke
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as well you didn't 'pop a cap up some fool at the HMV', Alex!
waterloosunset
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we please have an Alex's Collected Stories thread? You outdo yourself with regularity, Mr. Robertson!
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterloosunset wrote:
Can we please have an Alex's Collected Stories thread? You outdo yourself with regularity, Mr. Robertson!

Hear hear!!
(Never know if that’s the way to spell it. In any case, wholeheartedly agree!)
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah it wouldn't catch on... especially now that I just order my albums on line 🤣
waterloosunset
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Robertson wrote:
Nah it wouldn't catch on... especially now that I just order my albums on line 🤣

They don't have to be Sparks albums. But yes, buying things online has less panache.
waterloosunset
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Robertson wrote:
How Suburban Homeboy got me a ban from HMV.

I just read this to my husband, who is not generally fond about hearing Things Sparks. He started howling as you described the manager and his omniscient computer, and couldn't stop laughing, even when the story was finished. In your retirement, you might have another career, you know.
RobertaF
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I would buy a zine of these.
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterloosunset wrote:
In your retirement, you might have another career, you know.

I have tried my hand at writing a couple of stories...available on Amazon...one has a few Sparks puns in it, usually characters names..Lorraine Washington-Debouliver, Jason Sparreghyll...but non Sparks fans would never know. Another just takes the premise of two aliens landing on earth (Brighton) in a large cake shaped craft. There are a couple Dundee themed ones and a story set in Ireland in a non-specific bygone age.
The thing is people are kind and favourably review them...Scotsmen tend to look on praise with a slightly dubious eye.

Sorry I won't take up any more space on this thread about it...after all it is about the albums.
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Week 19 of Album Club - w/c 12th November - Hello Young Lovers

You can find a link to the album on Spotify here:

https://open.spotify.com/album/0LXNUZqfLXGmvcgkyLG0yR?si=uLHM_EwKRyWr7tYSyabDrg

Prompts for discussion, if needed, and scores for previous albums, at the top of the thread.
Andy M
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“The skies are starting to cloud up”

A return to a more conventional pop sound, the follow up to Lil’ Beethoven gives me some difficulty as it’s a real curate’s egg. Some very good songs: Metaphor (left over from the LB sessions, I believe), Aliens, and Notre Dame; some pretty damn good – Dick Around, Perfume, Waterproof; the rest, alas, I dislike. Earlier on this thread somebody said of one album that they skipped tracks on it. Listening to HYL I do the same.

At fifty minutes it’s a fairly lengthy album*, and only one song clocks in at under three minutes. Some of the duff tracks** could have been excised completely; even Dick Around, which I do like, outstays its welcome.

I’m not sure about the cover, either. Oh dear. 6/10?

*It’s been a long-held belief of mine that no film should be over one and a half hours in length, and no album should be longer than forty-five minutes, thus allowing it (in the old days) to fit on one side of a C90 cassette.

**Of course, we on this forum won’t agree on what constitutes the weaker tracks!
Spyke
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that any album which followed Lil' Beethoven wouldn't be helped by being in its shadow. As Andy M says, Hello Young Lovers has a more familiar sound than its predecessor and is also more of a mixed bag. My favourite tracks are Metaphor (among the band's very best songs), Dick Around (when the guitars first kick in is one of the band's very best moments, and how many singers other than Russell could manage the vocal gymnastics of all those lyrics and keep them clear?), Notre Dame (another ambitious epic) and Here Kitty (the album could have done with more of its offbeatness). The other tracks are never less than good, but don't quite hit the highs that Sparks have reminded us they can reach.
Overall, the album's an 8/10 (and the live shows which accompanied the album were fantastic!)
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before the album release we were promised a single release to be premièred on the radio, like countless others I tuned in at the alloted time...the opening of Waterproof brought an instant smile to my face, which stayed there right to the end. I could barely wait for my album to arrive...when it did I wasn't in any way, shape or form disappointed.
Bold and adventurous once again, Sparks proving that their laurels weren't being rested on but wrung out and reshaped to fit any head.
Waterproof being the first track I heard remains my favourite.
The album presentation live was astounding...as is often the case with a Sparks album, the favourite track is the one you are listening to.but Aliens is a close second.
A solid 9/10

At DeMontford Halls in Leicester, having had a few more pints than I normally would....I wondered how long my bladder would hold out...I held my own for as long as was humanly possible, right up to the start of the last track as it happens..calculating the length of Notre Dame, I decided I wouldn't last that long without suffering an accident or internal damage....so I was the one skulking out just as it started...believe it or not I was able to hear the music from the (totally abandoned) Gents....on my return though the bouncers wouldn't let me back to my seat...so I stood with them in the aisle by the door, until the song finished. Then made my way back to my companions through the throng who were heading to the loo, obviously having better pelvic floor muscles than me. (Pilates has helped with that as has drinking a lot less before a show)
Oscar
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy M wrote:
Metaphor (left over from the LB sessions, I believe)

Oh interesting, I didn't know that!

I was really eagerly anticipating this album in the months leading up to its release and scouring the internet for any information or advance tracks I could find. This led me to some weird places, and my first taste of anything from the album was from this shady ringtone download site that somehow had a crappy MIDI-style ringtone version of "Dick Around," specifically the part of "Dick Around" where the guitars first come in. I honestly just assumed the website was trying to pass off some nu-metal song as Sparks, and kept looking elsewhere for actual Sparks material. Imagine my surprise when I finally heard "Dick Around" (a rip of the shortened single version that had been played on the radio somewhere, I think) and discovered that it WAS the same song from the ringtone! And the guitars DID sound kind of like nu-metal, but also sounded AWESOME.

I heard a few other songs before the album actually came out: "Waterproof," Perfume," and "Can I Invade Your Country," but it was the "favorite Beatle" version of "Invade Your Country," not the one with the Star-Spangled Banner lyrics. I was convinced this was going to be the greatest album ever. I bought the CD as soon as it came out and found it didn't quite live up to my expectations. For one thing, the modified lyrics to "Invade Your Country" irked me -- they were awkwardly shoehorned into the song and weren't nearly as clever or fun as the other set of lyrics. They also didn't fit in as well with the themes of the rest of the album. I still hardly ever listen to the Star-Spangled Banner version of that song; if I'm going to listen to it, I listen to the alternate version (which was eventually released as a b-side to the "Dick Around" single).

I was also underwhelmed by "The Very Next Fight" and "No Such Thing as Aliens," and I thought "Perfume" was a little too long (though still great) and "As I Sit Down to Play the Organ" sounded a bit too sloppy and ugly. My appreciation of all of these songs has increased a lot, with the exception of "The Very Next Fight." The combination of those lyrics with that (lack of) melody make for a really joyless listen for me.

But let's talk about the good stuff! "Dick Around" is one of Sparks' greatest achievements, easily a top 5 Sparks song for me. In early 2006 I'd moved to LA and I had enough money saved up that I could wait a few months before I started looking for a full-time job, and this was my theme song as I drove around exploring my new surroundings and mostly doing a whole lot of nothing. "Perfume" rules, especially the guitar part. The idea of falling for someone because they didn't wear perfume was relatable to me too, as I just really did not like the smell of perfume at the time. "Metaphor" is fantastic, and was especially notable for featuring the glorious and triumphant return of Russell's falsetto. And "Waterproof" is a perfect song, made even more impressive by maintaining that perfection over so many different sections and styles, all of which get squeezed into a 4-minute package.

As much as I love Lil' Beethoven, and as important as that album was, I think I just enjoy listening to HYL a little more, but still can't quite give it a 10/10. So... 9.7/10, I guess?
Toughest Girl In Town
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, here comes my favourite Sparks album!
More than just a perfect work of art, "Hello Young Lovers" is also full of creativity, talent, complexity, innovation and intelligence. Even the picture they chose for the cover makes the title even funnier!

But most of all, it holds my favourite Sparks song ever, "Notre-Dame", which has (just like "Dick Around"), a brilliant "4-songs-in-one" structure I really love. It is so clever I'll never ever get tired of it. The legend says Ron really went to Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris to play the organ for this song (well, I read it somewhere in an old interview), not quite sure whether I should believe it or not.
"Rock, Rock, Rock" is also one of my favourites, those lyrics are really something else, I feel deeply moved each time I listen to this song. I've been a bit disappointed to hear this chorus with different lyrics in Annette, the music remains fabulous but it kinda lost its soul without its original lyrics I think.

Have you noticed there aren't many drums on this album, just like their previous one? You don't get that very often on pop/rock recordings, and the fact that I didn't realise it straight away is precisely what completely blows my mind about Sparks. It all sounds so precise, technical and yet so natural, you just have to go with the flow and enjoy the ride!
I especially love the work they did on "Hey Kitty", where the "Hey-Kitty-Kitty-Kitty" singing does mimic the sound of a hi-hat drum cymbal throughout the whole song. This is pure genius to me.

No weak songs in here, in my opinion they all serve their purpose in order to create a nicely balanced album.

Definitely the type of record that makes me utterly proud to be a Sparks fan.
10/10 of course, I'd give more if I could.
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at Lil' Beethoven, Hello Young Lovers and Exotic Creatures of the Deep as an era much as the glam trilogy or the first three albums with Bates Motel. Am I alone in this?

Dick Around, Perfume, Metaphor and Waterproof are top shelf.

I don't love the album cover but the contents are good!

7/10
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckeye Randy wrote:
I look at Lil' Beethoven, Hello Young Lovers and Exotic Creatures of the Deep as an era much as the glam trilogy or the first three albums with Bates Motel. Am I alone in this?

Dick Around, Perfume, Metaphor and Waterproof are top shelf.

I don't love the album cover but the contents are good!

7/10

There are a bunch of people on the FB forum who refer to these three albums as "the Holy Trinity" - so, no, you're not alone by any means.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Music Only All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 23 of 29

Jump to: