SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Album Club - Sparks catalogue reviewed over 24 weeks (2023)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Robertson wrote:
I missed out on getting one of the "Smile on a stick" props by a whisker. I only wanted it as an auction item for a Sparks convention. I was pipped at the proverbial post on getting it, but as with all Sparks souvenirs they go to good homes...

Erm... Sparks Convention??? Is that a thing??
Oscar
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toughest Girl In Town wrote:
I'm just a bit annoyed with "Mr. Hulot", because I can't figure out all the lyrics in French. I only get that bit "Jour de fête, les vacances de Monsieur Hulot" (which are actually movie titles from French filmmaker Jacques Tati), but I don't understand what Russell says next. If anyone can help me with this... :)

The rest of the lyrics just continue the list of Jacques Tati films:
Mon Oncle
Playtime
Trafic et Parade
Toughest Girl In Town
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscar wrote:
The rest of the lyrics just continue the list of Jacques Tati films:
Mon Oncle
Playtime
Trafic et Parade

You're a star!
Why didn't I think of that... Thank you so much :)
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highersynth wrote:
Alex Robertson wrote:
I missed out on getting one of the "Smile on a stick" props by a whisker. I only wanted it as an auction item for a Sparks convention. I was pipped at the proverbial post on getting it, but as with all Sparks souvenirs they go to good homes...

It was....
Oscar
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first heard Exotic Creatures, I felt like it was the album I'd wanted Hello Young Lovers to be, in that it was totally brilliant the whole way through. I feel less strongly about it now, though I do think it's more consistently great than HYL. It's just that the highs aren't nearly as high.

This has to be their darkest album lyrically, right? Even the poppiest, happiest-sounding song on here ("Good Morning") is ultimately pretty depressing. ("My life is now about to have some meaning" -- sorry, nope!) And then ending the album with "Photoshop" and "Likeable." These are amazing songs, but yeesh.

"Let the Monkey Drive" has been my favorite from the beginning. The lyrics are almost McCartney-esque in their goofiness, and pairing them with this tense, thriller-movie music is perfect.

"Strange Animal" is probably my second favorite, though I would like it even more if they'd used an acoustic drum kit. The electronic drums really let the heavy parts down. The real drums on "Lighten Up, Morrissey" and especially "Islington N1" sound great. Speaking of "Islington N1," it's crazy to me that this song was recorded just for the "Golden Ticket" holders at the 21x21 shows. It's basically the Propaganda formula, a fast, short (2:35!), punchy rocker with classical undertones and loads of lyrics, but with the sound of 21st century Sparks. I don't think it would have fit in on Exotic Creatures though. They probably should've just banged out another album of songs in this style so it would have had somewhere to go.

"I Can't Believe That You Would Fall..." is my least favorite. Feels like something a lesser band could've come up with. It does sound fantastic though, and I really like the piano parts during the instrumental breaks.

I'm with Alex -- it's a solid 8.5/10.
Andy M
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of particular interest, perhaps, to participants in/followers of this thread, is the latest Mojo magazine (#362, dated Jan 2024) which includes a two-page "How to Buy Sparks". An interesting, if sometimes surprising, Top Ten. My favourite - well, favourite today - LP isn't amongst them. #1 is Gratuitous Sax.

Note that the free cd, entitled The Best of 2023, does NOT include Girl ... Latte. Shame on you, mojo!
SteveBoyce
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECOTD I think is a stunning achievement, until Annette it was my favourite Sparks album. It has great emotional depth, and it's the first time imo that they produced an album which was more than the sum of the individual tracks.
It's a shame that they dropped "So Many Bridges". Don't know why they did that as it's a great track, and I don't like the FFS version.
Weakest track is the "Lighten Up Morrissey" thing, which reminds me of the ending of Maggie Mae a bit.
waterloosunset
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveBoyce wrote:

It's a shame that they dropped "So Many Bridges". Don't know why they did that as it's a great track, and I don't like the FFS version.

I wasn't aware that Sparks had recorded So Many Bridges before the FFS version, and I can't find the Sparks version anywhere. Is it anywhere? Thanks!
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've very much enjoyed getting to know this album on a couple of longish car journeys, but had decided that it was great, until Brenda and the tracks following it, which sounded a bit surplus to requirements. No surprise then to discover that everything from "Brenda" onwards are bonus tracks (so far I've only got the Spotify download).

I love this album musically for its balanced blend of styles of composition - Ron still flexing his classically influenced muscles, but returning to including a more traditional pop approach. I think of the LB/HYL/ECOTD trilogy, it's probably my Goldilocks album for this reason.

Once I stopped hearing "strange animal" as "Wall Street Journal aha-ha-ha-ha", this became one of my favourite tracks, albeit I too am grateful to Paul Barrat for his clues to interpreting it. Until then, despite the lack of lyrical interest, "I can't believe you would fall...." was easily my favourite with its sounds harking back to the 1970s, Sparks in their pomp, and a generous touch of Marc Bolanesque vocal.

I'm very hard pressed to name a least-favourite; if pushed it would be "Let the Monkey Drive" - mainly because I feel sorry for the monkey (ridiculous I know) if taken literally. I have a theory that this one isn't about what it seems to be about though, and is a dark, ironic political comment on the super-rich enjoying themselves being carried around by the workers (whose car it is, btw). But that could be projection - I've no evidence to support the theory. I prefer it, anyway, to monkeys driving cars.

I also have a real issue with the dressed chimp modelling for the album art - I support a rescue foundation for animals such as this, and I have to say I'm disappointed that Sparks would use these images.

I tend to agree with Oscar about the dark lyrics throughout this one. It's an album packed with irony and cynicism, dressed in a brightly coloured suit as it were (chicks dig dig dig a metaphor). The only song lacking an overt conceivable "angle" in this way is "Likeable" - and I hear the line "That in sum's my resume" as "that insults my resume". Whilst I'm more than prepared to accept I'm mishearing it, that would actually give it the angle. I wonder if it's alluding to Tom Hanks or someone very like him.

A very solid 9.5 from me - again, to echo Oscar "I do think it's more consistently great than HYL. It's just that the highs aren't nearly as high" - except my comparator is Lil' Beethoven, which I scored as 10. (I'm failing very badly at being consistent, so that will have do!)
phdave that afternoon
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECD has really grown on my over the past week. I was expecting more similarities to LB and HYL. There are certainly echos of them here but ECD sounds more like their two most recent albums to me than LB/HYL (I have not listened to Hippopotamus yet, so I can't compare). I feel like after lots of experiments with albums that emphasize/overemphasize different styles/elements, ECD is an integration of these different approaches into a unique sound that blends the classical instruments with rock/pop song structures and instruments. I guess if I thought of these three albums together as a three part group, I would say that LB was a symphony, HYL was an opera, and ECD is musical theater.

I really like the repeated "like me" theme that pops up here and there (which reminds me of musical theater). At first I thought it was a bit of a fun gimmick like gratuitous sax/senseless violins, but after a few listens it is more of an integrating thread that ties the album together into a whole. Given the many times they have devoted songs to dealing with the music industry, I think the contrast between like me/love me is about their focus on music that they and other people would love vs. the typical focus of the music industry which is on mass consumption and maximizing the number of people who like the music vs. love it.

The whole album for me is a series of fun songs that epitomize what I like about Sparks.

Favorite songs:

Good Morning. I love the repeated thanking of God for interrupting a busy schedule to do something for the protagonist who does not even remember what happened. So many great lines. I love Russell's desperate "Hey where you going?" falsetto. Hilarious fun song.

Strange Animal. I love the sound and the chorus. The lyrics have a lot going on under the surface. I watched the interpretation and it certainly seems like the writing/re-writing element is what the lyrics are about. I have a feeling that it is about interference in the song by record industry/outsiders/etc. I was wondering what the "strange animal" phrase was about. That video did not offer an explanation for that that I remember. I did a search for that phrase and found a song from the 80s titled "(You're a) Strange Animal". I'm not sure what the connection is. Maybe it is an example of the type of pop song they have been encouraged to create. A song that lots of people like but no one loves? Or maybe it is a common enough phrase and has nothing to do with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(You%27re_a)_Strange_Animal

I can't Believe That You would fall for all the Crap in This Song. I love the sound of this. Different than any sound from Sparks before ECD that I can remember. Obvious reference to mindless pop lyrics about love. The monotony of the lyrics is intentional and fits the song theme.

Let the Monkey Drive. This is hilarious and a great song. I've driven Highway 1 up to Santa Barbara many times and given the traffic I can appreciate the idea of getting a monkey to drive (as long as it is the monkey's car and asks to come along).

I've Never Been High -- I can't help thinking that the idea of this song came from the REM song "I've Been High" which came out earlier in the decade. Maybe that is an obvious connection or off base, but it makes me laugh thinking about Ron's song inspirations. The tone of the songs are similar, but the Sparks song is not a parody of any sort, just mainly a play off the title. Sparks has a history of taking another song's theme and putting a spin on it. Like Bob Dylan's Forever Young. Sparks takes a heartfelt song about a father singing about wanting his son to always be young and healthy and turns it into the perspective of an arrogant jerk who brags that he'll never get old. So I feel like this is a similar approach.

Initially my least favorite was "the director never yelled cut" but it grew on me once I realized it was a song about a guy trying to please a woman sexually and finally getting it right when he is used to women just telling him to stop. I like the musical interludes that convey the emotions/level of sexual success that the song references. I especially like the part after she finally yells cut because he performed well.

Renaissance. Hilarious fun song. Who else would write a pop song about the Renaissance? I had to look up Contrapuntal music. That was very interesting to learn about! I love the combination of smart and stupid for humorous effect.

I like all of the rest of the songs including the extra ones. They are all fun Sparks songs on topics only Sparks would write about. I have often heard the bookworm music on my local Public Radio station. I had no idea Sparks wrote those for KCRW.

There is no super huge Sparks classic song like Dick Around or My Baby, but the quality is high throughout with no real low points. I loved watching the final 21/21 performance on Youtube. It was great seeing them theatrically perform the songs and worked well with the musical style.

I rate it somewhere between LB and HYL: 9.5/10.

Now I appreciate the hexadecimal rating system because these really highly rated albums are hard to distinguish. They all end up between 9-10. Although these are mostly first impressions. It is hard to know what albums I'll prefer in the future with more time to let them grow on me in different ways. It is hard to believe I only have one unheard album left when last year this time I didn't even know who Sparks were.
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECOTD is one of my favorite Sparks albums. I've written about it extensively (link below) but suffice it to say I believe there's a concept that runs through the album and ties it together - the musical interludes and repetitions of melodies serve as the glue.

I think the basic story is the guy who wakes up at the beginning in a strange and unexpected situation goes through a crazy journey to discover who he really is - the situation at the beginning was out of character and he started to wonder if he's missing out and if there's more to life. He goes through a series of adventures but in the end, decides that he's best just being who he is - a likeable guy, if not a flashy, somewhat boorish playboy.

I think it goes deeper than that, but I think it's brilliant in telling its story. I think there are many thematic elements to Sparks albums - including the latest. On this one, I think it goes further and there's a concept being played out. Maybe not as blatantly as Ingmar Bergman, but there nonetheless for sure.

Just my thoughts! Link is below.

Great thread - wish I had participated a bit more. Lots of great insights!

Monte

https://montesnewblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/exotic-creatures-of-deep-ultimate.html
dinky
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highersynth wrote:
Alex Robertson wrote:

Was down a Sparks youtube rabbit hole tonight and came across this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jDLMbvB_n8

First time I heard a song off ECOTD was Simon Mayo playing 'Good Morning'. Has there been a song since that's been falsetto from start to finish ?

It's an album that fell off the radar, you wonder how much the band like it. None of the songs on it have been played live since the tour that launched it. Listening to it again has been a bit of a chore tbh, though 'This Is The Renaissance' was always my favourite and the effort they put in to just play it once live at the end of the 21 x21 is a credit to their art.

I remember waiting months from the announcement for them to appear on Jonathon Ross's TV show, a shame one of the two they played was 'I can't believe you would fall for all the crap in this song', one of the worst songs in the whole Sparks repertoire, the arms pointing was just cringeworthy

Can't be too enthusiastic sorry, 6/10
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phdave that afternoon wrote:

I really like the repeated "like me" theme that pops up here and there (which reminds me of musical theater). At first I thought it was a bit of a fun gimmick like gratuitous sax/senseless violins, but after a few listens it is more of an integrating thread that ties the album together into a whole. Given the many times they have devoted songs to dealing with the music industry, I think the contrast between like me/love me is about their focus on music that they and other people would love vs. the typical focus of the music industry which is on mass consumption and maximizing the number of people who like the music vs. love it.

Great take on the repeated theme there Dave. I forgot to mention in my review that I'd noticed it's reprised a total of 6 times throughout the album, and I couldn't quite work out why. I like your theory!
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MrMonte"]...
quote]

Never too late to join in Monte! Great to have you in the conversation and thanks for sharing the blog.

Unfortunately I can't seem to comment on the blog - lots of tech errors popping up - but this is what I'd have posted, if I could:
"Flippin eck Monte, that is genius! A very compelling argument, and a very satisfying interpretation. Whether it's what R&R intended or not, who knows? but it certainly works for me!"
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="highersynth"][quote="MrMonte"]...
quote]

Never too late to join in Monte! Great to have you in the conversation and thanks for sharing the blog.

Unfortunately I can't seem to comment on the blog - lots of tech errors popping up - but this is what I'd have posted, if I could:
"Flippin eck Monte, that is genius! A very compelling argument, and a very satisfying interpretation. Whether it's what R&R intended or not, who knows? but it certainly works for me!"[/quote

Thank you for the kind words. I just feel there's some connectivity on this album that makes it really stand out to me. Of course, could be way off base - only two people know for sure! But as I'll say over and over - that's the nature of great art - people will interpret it in ways that mean something to them, which may be well beyond anything the artist originally intended.

Sorry you had trouble leaving comments. Maybe because it's an older post? I'll look into it and see if there's anything on my end to do.

Monte
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Week 21 of Album Club - w/c 26th November - FFS

You can find a link to the album on Spotify here:

https://open.spotify.com/album/7g47iRACm89TOlfLhulrx2?si=y2UhzqgSS86NDfrQEtJGKA

Prompts for discussion, if needed, and scores for previous albums, at the top of the thread.

Additionally - thoughts about whether this belongs in this series? I included it because it features original work and performance by the Maels. But I'm still in two minds, if I'm honest! We'll cover it this week anyway.
Andy M
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Collaborations don’t work”?

Well, folks, this one does.

I’d been a fan of Franz Ferdinand’s angular post-punk dance music since the band’s first appearance on the BBC’s Later... with Jools Holland, so news of the joint project was exciting, and the album doesn’t disappoint. A number of catchy tracks, the best of which are Johnny Delusional, Police Encounters, Collaborations, Dictator’s Son and So Desu Ne. Only Things I Won’t Get – with Nick McCarthy for some reason taking lead vocals – fails to register. Funnily enough, listening to FFS in the context of this review of the Sparks oeuvre, I’m struck by how safe and conventional it sounds . . . still, a very good listen nonetheless.

The album raised the profile of both bands, but probably Sparks were the biggest winners. (highersynth - this on its own probably justifies including the album in this section of your review, though I also think Seduction should be here as well, on the basis it’s original work and performance by R&R.)

The cover, with its nod to Soviet constructivist art, is more FF than Sparks, but it’s still a good’ un.

Best physical version? The expanded cd has four extra tracks, two of which – So Many Bridges and Look at Me – could have held their own on the album proper.

7/10
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The possibility of a collaboration of these two groups was a subject of a very long standing...so long, in fact, that many of us thought it was scrapped and Piss Off and Too Many Bridges would never see official release status. Thank goodness it did see the light of day. Johnny Delusional was the first track I heard, the video and seeing it performed live,showed how well these two groups gelled.
They obviously got along well and respected each other immensely too, the little video vignettes showed on the run-up to the album release proved this. Every track a little gem, occasionally (IMO) the Russell and Alex vocals might have suited a bit of switching of lines...but that's a minor niggle.
If anyone wasn't a Sparks fan, or indeed a Franz Ferdinand fan, I'd recommend this album as an introduction to either group.
Johnny Delusional still the top track followed by Piss Off...a lot of people slated the video as being "cheap" but that retro 80s shoot-em-up game style was quite amusing...all the other tracks are so "up there with the best of them" I'm going to award this album 9/10
waterloosunset
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still Exotic Creatures of the Deep
I had planned to write this yesterday, but my dad ended up in the emergency room on Friday night and I have mostly been with him since then. He’s OK, but he’s 98.

MrMonte wrote:

I think the basic story is the guy who wakes up at the beginning in a strange and unexpected situation goes through a crazy journey to discover who he really is - the situation at the beginning was out of character and he started to wonder if he's missing out and if there's more to life. He goes through a series of adventures but in the end, decides that he's best just being who he is - a likeable guy, if not a flashy, somewhat boorish playboy.

Exotic Creatures is an extraordinary record, and after reading MrMonte’s analysis, the theme falls into place for me. The album is very ambitious musically with many songs having complicated melodies and heartbreaking lyrics. For pure beauty and majestic Russell tones, I choose I’ve Never Been High, Photoshop, and Likeable. The melodic lines are similar to those in much 16th century music. The Intro and its Reprise are also lovely . Good Morning, Strange Animal, Let the Monkey Drive, Lighten Up Morrissey, Pregnant, and This Is The Renaissance are lyrically biting and sometimes hilarious. I love the lines “I hope it’s just your laugh that is infectious” and "Gutenberg is cranking out the Bible with a centerfold." Does anyone feel that the monkey in LTMD is not a monkey but rather some poor schmuck who puts up with these two “friends” in the back seat? It seems particularly mean-spirited, but it does fit into Monte’s theory. I Can’t Believe… and The Director Never Yelled Cut bring up the rear, but are still enjoyable.

Favorite Song: Hmm, both I Never Get High and Photoshop
Least Favorite: The Director Never Yelled Cut
Score: 9/10
Andy M
Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex mentioned that FF & R&R got along well, and everything around the release seemed to bear that out. I was surprised to read later on a couple of articles that suggested that behind the scenes relationships were strained. I never picked up on this at the time (and I can't remember where I read otherwise).

Sorry about your dad, waterloosunset.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Music Only All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 25 of 29

Jump to: