SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paul Barrett on Meta/Sparks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> General Sparks Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:26 am    Post subject: Paul Barrett on Meta/Sparks! Reply with quote

All - happy to present Part One of my conversation with Paul Barrett - the father of the Meta/Sparks theory. Give it a listen! Here's the link:

https://youtu.be/uuIe7bfA5c4

I urge EVERYONE to subscribe as there's lots more great content coming - and I admit, it helps with the YouTube algorithms!

For part two, we've done a deep dive into the latte album. My thoughts are here - you might enjoy it and we discuss it on the next episode. The title is Latte: An Exploration of Choice and Consequence. I'll post it separately as well - enjoy!

https://montesnewblog.blogspot.com/2024/01/the-girl-is-crying-in-her-latte.html
dinky
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Paul Barret video and a Sparks Entertainment and Art video all in a couple of days, we are verily spoiled. Great stuff from all again.

Interesting comments on 'Left Out In The Cold'. I'd always seen it as another song allegory on their careers, once popular but gambled on something and lost everything (presumably Mai The Psychic Girl). What I found curious was that the official video they did for it didn't include the verse on being an online bettor.
Toughest Girl In Town
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul sounds so cool, we could spend literally hours listening to him! Can't wait for the second (and then third, and why not fourth?) episode.

Great job guys!
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Toughest Girl and Dinky for your kind words as always! Part two of our conversation will drop this weekend! We have a great time talking.

Monte
waterloosunset
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monte, I watched the episode for The Girl Is Crying In Her Latte the other night. I couldn't stop watching it and I got to bed way too late. At one part of the discussion (not giving it away), you were discussing which song links two others; I kept repeating "When You Leave, When You Leave..." When you both validated my assumption, I got more excited than I did at any given moment in this year's Super Bowl. What an interesting discussion.
SteveBoyce
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just listened to that too. Enjoyed listening to it, though I think there's a lot of over interpretation going on :-)
The reason for this post is that the very simple reason why that second middle eight of WIWY is always left out is that Ron didn't write it, it was written by Faltermeier. Faltermeier even re-used that exact same theme in his music for, I think, Beverly Hills Cop. So **of course** Ron doesn't want to play it.
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterloosunset wrote:
Monte, I watched the episode for The Girl Is Crying In Her Latte the other night. I couldn't stop watching it and I got to bed way too late. At one part of the discussion (not giving it away), you were discussing which song links two others; I kept repeating "When You Leave, When You Leave..." When you both validated my assumption, I got more excited than I did at any given moment in this year's Super Bowl. What an interesting discussion.

Thank you my friend! More exciting than the super bowl - that's a high compliment!

Glad you are enjoying the show!
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveBoyce wrote:
Just listened to that too. Enjoyed listening to it, though I think there's a lot of over interpretation going on :-)
The reason for this post is that the very simple reason why that second middle eight of WIWY is always left out is that Ron didn't write it, it was written by Faltermeier. Faltermeier even re-used that exact same theme in his music for, I think, Beverly Hills Cop. So **of course** Ron doesn't want to play it.

Yeah, a LOT of interpreting on this episode - but that's part of the fun, I think. Don't plan to do that every episode - I'll leave that to the guests!

I would say, though, that in my humble opinion, there's a lot to interpret on this particular album. As I said on the episode, I think there's a definite message here, and I do believe they are signaling some lessons learned, as they think about where they're going next - and after more than 50 years in the business, I really do think there are some things that they want to pass on. I stand behind my interpretation - but like I say in the latest episode, music is made to be interpreted - each of us embrace it and hear different things. That's in fact one of the things that motivates me to keep doing the show - I'm endlessly fascinated by how everyone hears Sparks' music just a little differently, and often very deeply. As Jonathan Dean says, it's almost the case that whatever Ron had in mind doesn't really matter!

Sorry that's a long-winded way to say that I don't know if I'm right or wrong and I'm the first to admit that. I can only tell you where it leads me, and I hope you find it of interest!

As for Faltermyer, I don't know - you may be right, and that might be all there is to it. It's still a part in a Sparks song though so it is a choice that he is making.

Anyway, thanks for weighing in. I appreciate all thoughtful comments!

Monte
dinky
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great episode with Penny as guest. Two videos from Paul in a week, verily we are spoiled

New podcast from Christian Huey, afraid I'm not rushing to listen to a 2 parter on Telex any time soon
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dinky wrote:
Another great episode with Penny as guest. Two videos from Paul in a week, verily we are spoiled

New podcast from Christian Huey, afraid I'm not rushing to listen to a 2 parter on Telex any time soon

Thanks as always for your support. Penny was terrific and I'm going to have her on again some time for sure. I appreciate your feedback - don't get much here, which surprises me. The show is really for hard-core Sparks fans! Ah well!
dinky
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monte, this is a forum that still has a sub section for a vote on which song was to be played at a concert from 16 years ago, don't take it personally, it's just quiet here !
MrMonte
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dinky wrote:
Monte, this is a forum that still has a sub section for a vote on which song was to be played at a concert from 16 years ago, don't take it personally, it's just quiet here !

haha, fair point!

To be sure, I don't take anything like that personally, I was just kind of observing....just hoping folks are enjoying the show. I see it as the early stages of a book, come two or three years from now. But the content is for everyone - it's unique, and I hope people do in fact enjoy it.

Thanks for always being so supportive!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> General Sparks Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: