SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Other Artists
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun releases lately....

Bad Moves
Love the zippity do da delivery singing about cleaning sh*t
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgqhOC7c7CE

Beautiful musical tribute to Jeff Beck by Hall of Famer Ricky Byrd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcTVP3N9M8A

Bande a Parte, I like this better than the original.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbYxG_vELcM

Black Crowes...still the Black Crowes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO5zQNoHYc8

Green Day, I like this song but don't love the album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDjtguZG6iw

CVC
I've liked (not love!) the last couple albums by this band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icnBFGaRxbw

Cheekface...not sure why I like this one!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7OtEkGbq48

The Last Dinner Party, a Broadway production type song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pETz4IMmeDU

Kid Kapichi, this is fun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XgOr6XqGe8

F.O.D., has an old school meets new school punk sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-eo__sykXI

The Tony Slug Experience, classic punk sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He_ubbg_R5k

Nothing But Thieves, I dare you not to dance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnYfUU378gA
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artist: The Paranoid Style
Album: The Interrogator
Released: Feb. 2, 2024

I just ‘discovered’ this band with their 2024 release, ‘The Interrogator’. It only took me 10 years since their first EP was released back in 2013, I’m quick like that. This latest release is the 4th full length album fronted by husband/wife duo of Elizabeth Nelson and Timothy Bracy.

While listening I checked out a bio and I found this, “The Paranoid Style is a sprawling garage-punk-pop outfit built around Elizabeth Nelson who counts T-Rex, The Mekons and Elvis Costello as her influences. Nelson’s articulate vocal delivery is fitting for a band named after historian Richard J. Hofstadter’s 1964 essay “The Paranoid Style In American Politics”.

I read the bio based on liking the music but it could have just as easily happened the other way. I really like T-Rex and Elvis Costello and anybody that likes them is worth a listen. On top of that, I usually like bands named after books (Mott The Hoople, Arrowsmith, Genesis). I sense a personal trend, I also like bands named after characters (Uriah Heep, Artful Doger) and even references to inanimate objects (Steely Dan).

I also found that they are from Washington DC and I want to say that several punky/poppy bands are emerging from that area. At least our Capitol is good for something. (smiling)

The overall vibe is punky but more in attitude and not so much delivery. The sound occasionally drifts into Steve Earle territory or even The Hold Steady but it all works. I would call the music melodic, restrained and simply a perfect backdrop behind the half spoken vocals of Elizabeth Nelson. I’m usually drawn in first by music before paying attention to lyrics but these lyrics grab your attention.

Album starts with the title track, ‘Interrogator’. Wow, I really like this and….it really reminds me of something very familiar. I first thought it was ‘Teenage Depression’ by Eddie And The Hot Rods and the songs are similar but not dead ringers. Upon a couple more listens it came to me, ‘Teenage News’ by Sylvain Sylvain (RIP). For those that don’t know, when Sylvain was not with the NY Dolls he put out some great R&B based punky music and his self titled 1979 album is essential.

The second song is titled, ‘I Love The Sound Of Structured Class’ which can only be a nod to Nick Lowe’s ‘I Love The Sound Of Breaking Glass’ though the songs are certainly very different. Another with a pastiche title is, ‘Are You Loathsome Tonight’ which is the most heartfelt song on the album.

“Last Night In Chickentown’ starts with a beat similar to Iggy’s ‘Lust For Life’ but quickly goes a different direction but very good nonetheless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1HLoYVQ2tY

I don't stop at lights
I don't sleep for days
I've been seeing the sights
Baby, I'm amazed
Last night in Chickentown

Some of the song titles are provocative because they jump start a story in your mind without hearing a note. ‘Bad Day Foe A Group Chat’ or ‘The Drop Is Steep’ are open doors to the imagination. The lyrics are great but this is rock n roll and the music is still the main attraction, ‘Styles Make Fights’ recalls the jump beat of ‘Iko Iko’ and takes off from there. Lots of fun.

Honestly, this feels like somebody fell asleep in the late ‘70’s listening to Pub Rock on Stiff Records and woke up 40 years later. Recommended!

Well Done!
Eric Murray
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to see ABC last night at The Glasshouse ( old Sage ) in Gateshead,Newcastle.

ABC performed The Lexicon Of Love in the second half of the show - the first half being a selection of their hits.

Accompanied by The Southbank Sinfonia - Conducted by Anne Dudley.
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2024 nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame were announced.

Mary J. Blige
Mariah Carey
Cher
Dave Matthews Band
Eric B. & Rakim
Foreigner
Peter Frampton
Jane's Addiction
Kool & the Gang
Lenny Kravitz
Oasis
Sinéad O'Connor
Ozzy Osbourne
Sade
A Tribe Called Quest

Every year I ask myself what some of the nominees have to do with rock and roll. I generally distract myself by wondering why I buy light bulbs and lottery tickets at a grocery store.

The RnR HOF has morphed into an all-inclusive HOF with many genres and I'm OK with that. It's your one stop shopping for a wide range of music.

This year is more challenging than most! There is always a balance between popularity and being influential. Maybe this year is more challenging because we are running out of baby boomer rock bands.

I decided to google up bands not in HOF and compiled this list:

Bad Company
Sparks
Procol Harum
Steve Winwood
Harry Nilsson
Jan & Dean
B52's
Mott The Hoople
Joe Cocker
Ted Nugent
The Runaways
War
Pat Benatar
Jethro Tull
King Crimson
New York Dolls
Iron Maiden
Brian Eno
Television

All of those bands and a blue billion others make the 'snub' lists. Those just happen to be ones that would certainly get strong consideration for the Randyland HOF.

Anyways, back to the current nominees. If I could only pick four I would go with; Cher, Foreigner, Jane's Addiction and Ozzy.

However... if you put Ozzy in as a solo performer then Alice Cooper deserves to be in as a solo performer as well. Both artists have had long and successful solo careers. However, their most influential material was at the beginning of their careers with bands already in the HOF.
KaelMael
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boz Scaggs Japan Tour

Tohoku University Centennial Hall, Sendai
February 24, 2024

He played recent songs and some blues covers on the first part. Most of the well-known songs came later. I liked that he didn't fill the setlist with hit songs only. It was good to hear his newer tunes that I'm not familiar with. Still, the highlight was "Lido Shuffle" which made the audience on their feet.

Willie Weeks, a bass player who performed with numerous legendary artists such as Eric Clapton and David Bowie over the years (and the member of Louisiana Gator Boys in Blues Brothers 2000 himself), was among the band. The moment he hit the first bass line of "Lowdown" I got goosebumps.

A pleasant evening full of blues.
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recent 2024 releases...

Contract With Bulgaria - Joe Scarborough
Great power pop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L3bmG8erBY

Hot Tub - Pricedufkes
Phil Spector wall of sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md7Je6bag0E

Long In Tooth - Modern English
Fun song after all these years and I think it's great. I don't remember Modern English sounding cool!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tWNZT9tz1A

On the punky side...

Ain't Seen Nothing Yet - Chisel
Good punk song and I wish I knew what this reminded me of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYHSRbbnzK0

On the bluesy side...

Death Letter Blues - Tinsley Ellis
Dobro is alive and well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9V_uyTRmk
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Snuts....
I've tried and tried but I can't warm to them at all.
The tunes sound "banging" enough but I just don't get them.
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who: Dropkick Murphys, Pennywise
When: March 6th, 2024
Where: Packard Music Hall, Warren (Ohio)

I can’t think of a better way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day than loading the truck with family members and going to a concert by Boston’s Celtic punkers, The Dropkick Murphys. Does it feel familiar? It should, it was almost exactly two years ago that Mrs. Buckeye and our two sons went to Cleveland for a DKM show together. It’s déjà vu all over again!

This is my 7th time seeing DKM over the last 20 years. The fun fact is that I’ve only seen them twice at the same venue so nearly every time is a different experience. The current tour aptly titled, ‘2024 St. Patrick’s Day Tour’, is interesting because it is hitting allot of mid size markets (i.e. Warren (OH), Lancaster (PA), Binghampton (NY), Pikeville (KY), etc, etc). It also happens to be a ‘between’ tour; a ‘between’ tour is touring between tours supporting new releases. I love these sorts of tours because you don’t get a disproportionate amount of material supporting the latest album.

A week or so before the tour started, DKM dropped a list of the 39 songs being rehearsed for the tour. A nice playlist to get ready without wearing out songs in a predictable order. A quick check at Setlist.FM shows they are mixing it up every night with different openers and closers not to mention they are including several songs not on the rehearsal list. It is so much more fun not knowing for sure if you’ll hear your favorites than knowing the exact order of every song to be played.

Packard Music Hall seats nearly 2500 and has been open since 1955. It is not a grand old theater but a very functionable venue that serves the community not only with occasional rock concerts but with children’s programming, corporate meetings and graduations. On this evening the folding floor seats have been removed to provide a GA pit area and this is surrounded by a horseshoe shaped balcony for those wanting reserved seating. I’ve only been here once before (Cheap Trick) and it was a good time and contributes to why I’m travelling an hour for this show. Oh, I left out the best part…FREE PARKING!

We arrived 10 minutes before the doors were to open and the show was to start an hour after that. We took our place in line and the energy of the crowd was barely dampened by the cold rain. Once in, T-shirt and beers bought, we stake our territory 60 feet from the stage. It’s that semi safe zone outside the full contact of moshing but close enough to be engaged. Don’t tell anyone, but this is why Mrs. Buckeye is a valuable commodity at punky shows with GA. Without hesitation or reservation, I can say, “Let’s stand back here, I don’t want you getting hurt up there”. The fact that I’m also safe has nothing to do with it. Who says chivalry is dead. (smiling)

Opening the festivities are The Scratch from Dublin, Ireland. In a word, Wow! When it comes to openers that I’ve known next to nothing about, these guys might possibly be the best I’ve seen. First thing you notice is that Daniel Lang (percussion, lead vocals) is sitting on a cajón (box drum) and banging it with padded drum mallets; the rest of the band consists of Conor Dockery (guitar, backing vocals), Cathal McKenna (bass/backing vocals), and Jordan O’Leary (guitar, lead vocals). A very crisp and punchy sound and they totally owned the stage while performing. I would go see these guys in a minute if they did a club tour as a headliner.

I had no expectations for Pennywise. I’m a fan of mainstream California punk from the ‘90’s (Green Day, The Offspring, Rancid) but whatever the reason, Pennywise has flown mostly under my radar. Not being intimately familiar with a band isn’t that unusual, I’m open to anything. Straight out of the gate, it was hard not to make comparisons. The Scratch had a pumping and dynamic sound, Pennywise was a little louder but the sound was not nearly as dynamic.

The crowd responded well at times especially during “Stand By Me”. The highlight for me was a cover of “Fight For Your Right” (Beastie Boys). Not a bad show but there was something that felt a little flat about the performance. I won’t run away if I see Pennywise on a bill again but it won’t be the reason I buy a ticket either.

The lights went down and a recorded version of “The Foggy Dew” by The Chieftans with Sinead O’Conner came through the PA. The video backdrop had ‘Dropkick Murphys’ in bold letters as video clouds rolled through. The stage explodes in light as the band thunders into “Worker’s Song”. The lights were bright, the video screen was big and the sound was loud; it took a minute to get acclimated to the assault on the senses. The band continued without pause and straight into “The Boys Are Back” with the crowd singing as loud as the band. Strong opening.

The next 90 minutes were borderline amazing with singing, moshing, crowd surfing, hugging and generally jumping around and having one hell of a time.

DKM has released 12 albums since 1998. The only constant has been Ken Casey who has provided both bass and vocals until a few years ago. He suffered injuries in a 2018 motorcycle accident that have prevented him from playing bass at shows. This roughly coincides with co-lead vocalist Al Barr taking a leave of absence from the band. The combination of these two events have given Ken Casey the opportunity to turn into the focal point on stage. A DKM concert once felt like a busy block party on stage which was not necessarily a bad thing, they were fun shows. The show I just saw seemed more focused visually at least from where I stood. Ken Casey was commanding and I loved it.

I felt fortunate that most of my favorites were included; “Johnny I Hardly Knew Ya”, “Captain Kelly’s Kitchen”, “Barroom Hero”, “Skinhead On The MBTA”, “Boys On The Docks” and “The Prisoner’s Song”.

One of the more recent songs that I was hoping to hear was “Good As Gold”, I was not disappointed. I’ll be the first to say that video screens are a bit cheap and gimmicky when it comes to stage shows. Those thoughts don’t apply here as DKM took the opportunity to show the center labels from punk 45’s released over the past 50 years. Throughout the concert, the video backdrop was used both to compliment songs with themed images and to show close-ups of the band as to give those in the back a good view of the sweat on the brow.

The hits rolled on; “Rose Tattoo”, “Bastards On Parade”, “The Gauntlet”, “The State Of Massachusetts”, “Going Out In Style” and “TNT” (AC/DC) with vocals by Kevin Rheault.

“Kiss Me I’m Sh*tfaced” is not one of my faves but it is fun live as the whole crowd does a slow sway back and forth and sings along for a kumbaya moment.

The closer was no surprise…yet you never know for sure with these guys. “I’m Shipping Up To Boston” closed out a great night of rock n roll. It was lucky 7 for me as it was the best I’ve ever seen the band, I hope number 8 will be as good. Well Done!

Bonus info: This was the first time that Packard Music Hall had GA on the floor. This resulted in additional tickets sold and this sold out event set the new record for attendance.
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who: The Dollyrots
When: March 16, 2024
Where: Beachland Tavern (Cleveland, Ohio)

Excuse me while I get reflective for a moment. I have had many great years with many great memories attending shows with my family. First with Mrs. Buckeye back in the day and then later with our kids. Today, I feel like a new chapter is starting because I’m now adding a Grandchild to the concert list as we celebrate a 13th birthday with her first concert. I suppose a giant assist should go to my oldest son and his Wife for having a kid that loves The Dollyrots. Actually…The Dollyrots can take some of the credit! The 2023 release (Night Owls) happens to be one of their finest offerings from a career that covers ten releases over 20 years. (reflective moment is over)

The Dollyrots are fronted by bass slinging Kelly Ogden and her husband Luis Cabezas on guitar. You might also know Kelly from her early morning slot on Sirius channel 21 which is home to Little Steven’s Underground Garage. She does a great job spinning new releases and mixing them in with punky chestnuts from the last 50 years or so.

I first saw The Dollyrots in 2010 with my oldest son when they opened for The Buzzcocks and I was instantly hooked to their brand of poppy punk. Sadly, that was my fourth and final time seeing Pete Shelley (RIP) fronting The Buzzcocks. (that was semi-reflective)

The Beachland Tavern is adjacent to the larger Beachland Ballroom and they sort of have a shared entrance area not to mention a shared parking lot. On this night; we have The Dollyrots in the Tavern and the larger Ballroom is hosting an album release show by LUV. This is typically a clusterbunch of confusion with fans of two different acts in front of the same building with doors for Tavern opening at 7:00 and Ballroom at 7:30.

We arrive early enough to score decent parking and we take our place in a line that is growing down the sidewalk. The temperature isn’t exactly freezing but the wind makes it feel much worse. We were having normal pre-concert conversations and a guy with a ska hat and a really upbeat demeanor bounces up to my son. This guy happens to be the Dad of the lead singer for the evening’s opening band, Detention. My son and his wife have seen Akron’s Detention several times and have apparently made their way to the inner circle of band fandom. After a couple minutes of catching up on current events (my granddaughter’s b-day being one of the things), the guy disappears around the corner into the parking lot. He returns minutes later with a Detention hoodie for Happy b-day/first concert. A great gift when waiting in line to a sold out show whilst cool wintery winds from Lake Erie whip around Waterloo Road.

Mrs. Buckeye and I grab a couple seats at the bar closest to the stage while birthday girl and her parents grab a place in front of the stage. The venue quickly fills and the crowd has a fun punk vibe with ages ranging from young teens to the elderly. Note; when I was 20, the elderly were people over 30. Now that I’m in my 60’s, elderly people are approaching 80.

Opening the evening is Detention who are young rockers that have won awards at various events including a High School Rock Off at the Rock n Roll Hall Of Fame. Many in the crowd were familiar with the songs and the energy was high during the performance.

While the phrase ‘youthful enthusiasm’ probably best describes Detention, The Boreouts are best described as not youthful but seasoned. The recently formed band from Detroit includes members of The Dirtbombs, The Suicide Machines and Gangster Fun. The level of musicianship, timing and delivery was high. This was real punk music served up by veterans of the craft. I hope they stick around along enough to release some material because they were certainly good in a live setting.

The Dollyrots took the stage and combined their usual charm and brand of punky/pop. The charm is the back and forth banter between Kelly Ogden and her husband Luis Cabezas. The pair met in 8th grade and they are still having fun together plus putting out albums for over 20 years.

The show started fast with three of their most popular songs; “Everything”, “My Best Friend’s Hot” and “Twist Me To The Left”. Halfway through the set they played arguably their best known song which is a cover of Melanie’s “Brand New Key”. While introducing the song, Kelly told the story about Melanie performing the song “Lay Down (Candles In The Rain)” at Woodstock. This is acknowledged as the first time that lighters were raised in tribute at a concert. Kelly also spoke of how it personally touched her when Melanie passed way earlier this year.

Another charming thing about a show with The Dollyrots is their kids making appearances during the performance. On this night, son River performed tricks with his yo-yo while the band took a short break. The band retook the stage and jumped back into the music while River was joined on stage by Jon of The Boreouts who brought his own yo-yo. It took over 40 years of attending concerts but I’ve finally seen dueling yo-yos on stage. (smiling)

The show neared the end and all the young fans were invited on stage for the last song of the evening, “Because I’m Awesome”. Three or four youngsters took the stage around Kelly including my Granddaughter. She was a little shy at first (granddaughter not Kelly), but by the end of the song the two were sharing a microphone shouting out the chorus. Yeah, that happens at everybody’s first concert.

The Dollyrots always play short sets so they can spend an hour or so with the fans which includes fans signing Kelly’s leather jacket which was pink this year. When Luis learned of the first concert/birthday, he gifted a swag bag full of merch. The evening finally ended with Kelly in a family picture.

What a great first concert! How high has the bar been set for future concerts? Regardless, nice evening of family fun and I can’t wait until we share more concert memories with grandkids and hopefully see dueling yo-yos again. Well Done!
Crabby
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that sounds like a great night..... There's nothing more intimate than a live performance whether that's in a big arena or a busker on a street corner....
Toughest Girl In Town
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckeye Randy wrote:
Regardless, nice evening of family fun and I can’t wait until we share more concert memories with grandkids and hopefully see dueling yo-yos again.

I wish my granddad was as cool as you are!
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some fun new stuff that's out there as we ease into the warmer weather...enjoy

Muck Sticky & G Love - Give It All Away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01QqeFzz84o

Matt Edible & The Obtuse Angels - Idiot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED6kVqH3mNg

Royal Republic - Ain't Got Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk9X7I-_YdY

Splinter - Plain Stupid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLQo1xgZzMI

Sum 41 - Paint It Black
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSe3RQQNkQw

The Cardinal Sins - Man Down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVtshQNXyUk
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artist: Ian Hunter
Title: Defiance Part 2: Fiction
Released: April 19, 2024

Last year we saw the release of ‘Defiance Part 1’ which was an all-star cast making cyber collaborations with Ian during the covid era. This year is the second release of these recordings, ‘Defiance Part 2: Fiction’.

This is Ian’s 17th studio effort and his total overall releases are probably around 50 when counting live releases and compilations with rarities plus we have Mott The Hoople and all their outtakes and archive recordings. I suppose my only point is that there is nearly an endless supply of Ian Hunter material for people wanting a new hobby (i.e. obsession).

Over the last 35 years Ian has become good friends with Joe Elliott and Phil Colen of Def Lep. I remember seeing an interview with Joe Elliott as he thumbed through his teenage record collection that still resided at his parent’s house. He stopped at ‘Mott’ by Mott The Hoople and matter of factly stated, “Probably best record ever”.

This friendship has resulted in Ian sharing the same management group with Def Lep and this has certain benefits. This new release is getting mainstream exposure that evaded most of Ian’s releases the past 49 years and all of his releases the last 40 years. I mean, the thing is getting featured reviews written by people waaay too young to be ‘Dudes’. Ian will tell you it doesn’t matter but for long time admirers it feels pretty cool. It also feels pretty cool that Ian is in the stable at Sun Records.

The guest list on ‘Defiance Part 2’ is not quite as star studded as the predecessor but is still impressive; Robin Zander, Rick Nielson & Tom Peterson (Cheap Trick), Brian May (Queen), Dean DeLeo, Robert DeLeo & Eric Kretz (Stone Temple Pilots), Joe Elliott & Phil Collen (Def Lep), Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters), Benmont Tench (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers), Waddy Wachtel (Stevie Nicks, Jackson Browne), Dave Mansfield (Bob Dylan, T-Bone Burnett), Tony Shanahan (Patti Smith), Steve Holley (Wings), Morgan Fisher (Mott The Hoople) plus we have Jeff Beck, Johnny Depp and Lucinda Williams. Album art is a painting by Johnny Depp.

Things to like about this release…only 10 songs! I’ve always believed that less equals more (no comments from the ladies). It might have been tempting to package Defiance Part 1 & 2 together but I prefer having the two separate releases. It’s easier to digest 10 songs than it is 20.

This cyber studio stuff is great with endless contributions but there are problems. I’m thinking it must be easier to work out some awkward parts or do a quick re-write with everybody sitting in the studio together. It must be much more challenging when people are sending in contributions. I mention this because there are a few places where it seems that things could have flowed a little better but I think this is the nature of the beast. Todd Rundgren had a similar release a couple years back and I noticed the same thing.

I was not overly impressed by the two early peepers (‘Precious’ and ‘People’) when I first heard them. Both have very different but equally annoying intros before turning into decent mid paced rockers. ‘People’ is fun lyrically as it tells the story of record executives telling musicians what people want. I wonder if Ian is still hearing this?? I sort of doubt it!

‘This Ain’t Rock And Roll’ is one of the songs that seems like a dressed up demo; coulda, woulda, shoulda been better. ‘Weed’ is fun with a waltzy beat but again seems half completed.

‘The 3rd Rail’ and ‘Hope’ are both slow paced ballads but with different twists. ‘The 3rd Rail’ features guitar work by Jeff Beck and Johnny Depp and it actually makes me think of Ian’s work with Mick Ronson. ‘Hope’ isn’t exactly new territory for Ian but it does feature a kumbaya chorus with some of his guests.

The good stuff is pretty good. ‘Kettle Of Fish’ has a groove that grows as the song progresses. ‘What Would I Do Without You’ has Lucinda Williams sharing some vocals. This song is worth the price of admission for fans of Ian because he’s done very few duets over the years. The song would be at home on Mott The Hoople’s ‘Mad Shadows’ which is saying a bunch. ‘

Best songs. ’Everybody Is Crazy But Me’, this song fits in comfortably with Ian’s best rockers since the beginning of his ‘Rant Era’ (2001). Lyrically it is fun and musically it is consistent with what fans of this era have come to expect. ‘Fiction’ is a little off of Ian’s trodden path due to the string arrangement, but it works for me.

As I’m listening right now, I like ‘Defiance Part 2: Fiction’ but I wonder how I’ll feel a month from now. I thought ‘Defiance Part 1’ was pretty great after a few listens but as often happens…it faded quickly from my regular rotation and seemingly even my memory. We’ll see where I stand a month from now but today I say…Well Done!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Stuff and Nonsense All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Page 18 of 18

Jump to: