SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How would you compare Sparks to Devo?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loriheard

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 4:11 am    Post subject: How would you compare Sparks to Devo? Reply with quote

As much as I love me some Devo, I honestly think that Sparks are better because they go from genre into genre unlike Devo which is just New Wave.

Sparks got into glam rock and even some baroque pop and novelty territory as well.

Sparks also transforms over period from period, unlike Devo who still stay the same even decades on, like I have already stated above.

Any opinions?

Last edited by loriheard on Mon May 13, 2024 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
li_lily

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even though they don't use many different genres like sparks does, it doesn't mean they're worse. using fewer genres works better for devo.

everybody has their own way to do something and devo has different strengths compared to sparks.
Oscar
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say there's probably some Sparks influence in Devo's sound in general, and almost certainly some Devo influence on a couple of Sparks albums. The jerkiness of the rhythms on early Sparks albums could be something Devo tried to copy. "In the Future" especially is like a Devo song a couple years before Devo released anything. And then with Whomp That Sucker, Sparks started sounding more like what Devo had been doing, but that didn't last too long.

Lyrically, I think they're completely different. Devo comes off as a lot more misanthropic and cynical to me. And there are a lot of pronouncements and commands in the lyrics, rather than little stories like you find in most Sparks stuff.
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar in the fact that both have a visual that sticks in your head. Once you see Ron playing keys you don't forget and the same for seeing those four red power domes, you don't forget.

Both bands explore humor but DEVO's humor is more of a dystopian MAD Magazine where as Sparks can actually be witty.

A general video age observation. There were plenty of new wave bands that tried to be cute with humor in videos. It's pretty natural to start aping in front of a camera for lack of a real purpose. I do think DEVO and Sparks had a purpose.
Henry McHenry
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the 80‘s Sparks played at a birthday of
one of the Devo members…
and Upstairs from Whomp was devoish
but unfortunately there has not been anything
real new by Devo for more than 40 years…
so they do not have any relevance any more
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those with an interest in Devo

DEVOtional 2024
Beachland Ballroom, Cleveland (OH)
September 20th and 21st

This is a yearly event that features dozens of bands, lots of merch and special guests. Grab your power dome, see ya there!

https://devo-obsesso.com/html/news_pgs/devotional2024-promo.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Music Only All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: