SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In the future!

View previous topic :: View next topic  

The next convention,where?
USA
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
UK
55%
 55%  [ 11 ]
Belgium
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
France
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Germany
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Australia
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Somewhere else
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Outerspace
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 20

ladystardust
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: In the future! Reply with quote

Where do you want to have the next convention?
I would love Belgium...just for the Waterzoï !
LadyGodiva
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

belgium !! definitely!!

Outerspace, my dear, what are you waiting for to organize one?
ladystardust
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyGodiva wrote:
belgium !! definitely!!

Dr Outerspace, we want a convention in Bruxelles. what do you think about it?
FRITES

CALI
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the UK - in lovely Birmingham!!
ladystardust
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CALI wrote:
Here in the UK - in lovely Birmingham!!

Why not! I went to Birmingham years ago...Nicole was two...
LadyGodiva
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really? lol

that's why I don't remember it!
Girl From Glastonbury
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last 3 conventions have all been successful and damn good fun, but relatively intimate affairs. I think it would be good to aim big next time, and have a Sparks convention on the same sort of scale as those of a certain cult TV show ( but without the pointy ears..)
If could be held over a weekend in a large hotel with plenty of accomodation and facilities, in a city with good public transport etc.
The last two conventions were arranged in just a few months, but If a bigger affair was planned well in advance more guest stars could be signed up, more events and competitions arranged, there could be a trade and memorabilia fair etc. Also, with more notice people would have time to save for travel costs and hotel bills and to arrange time off work etc.
There would be more costs incurred, so tickets would have to be sold, and people would be asked to book their places in advance so that the event didn't lose money.
I'm thinking of an event that would accomodate maybe 200-300 people..
Thoughts, anyone?
OuterSpace
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyGodiva wrote:
belgium !! definitely!!

Impossible my dear: I have two left hands! (And don't you remember I'm beginning the sold out "oyster world tour" with Sparksballs in pubs, clubs, stadiums all over the world Ron Playing )

Quote:
Dr Outerspace, we want a convention in Bruxelles. what do you think about it?

It's a good idea. Ron and Russell have a lot of fans... and friends in Brussels (Marc Moulin, Dan Lacksman, Fabienne Vandemeersche...). And Belgium is so far away from LA to attire Sparks here
CALI
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with GFG. It could be done and with a few of us organising it, I think it would be a marvelous weekend. Good idea GFG! Count me in.
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Girl From Glastonbury wrote:
The last 3 conventions have all been successful and damn good fun, but relatively intimate affairs. I think it would be good to aim big next time, and have a Sparks convention on the same sort of scale as those of a certain cult TV show ( but without the pointy ears..)
If could be held over a weekend in a large hotel with plenty of accomodation and facilities, in a city with good public transport etc.
The last two conventions were arranged in just a few months, but If a bigger affair was planned well in advance more guest stars could be signed up, more events and competitions arranged, there could be a trade and memorabilia fair etc. Also, with more notice people would have time to save for travel costs and hotel bills and to arrange time off work etc.
There would be more costs incurred, so tickets would have to be sold, and people would be asked to book their places in advance so that the event didn't lose money.
I'm thinking of an event that would accomodate maybe 200-300 people..
Thoughts, anyone?

An excellent idea indeed...and it would have to be a at least a year or two away,as you say,with the amount of planning required(and the work that would have to go into it.)Ideas need throwing into the ring now...with practical suggestions(even the frivolous would need looking at)...things like...the venue would ideally be close to an airport,which would be relatively central for people flying from other countries(I'm not suggesting that this has to be the UK...before anyone picks up on that)... things like there couldn't be a policing on who would/wouldn't be welcome to attend,but there would surely have to be some form of security/first aid etc..
I'm all for this idea...but a definite serious putting together of heads is required,and soon if something has to be arranged within the next couple of years.
CALI
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Alex. This does have to be discussed soon as there is a lot of work involved. Those of us interested in the organisation side of it need to get together to talk things over.
Carl_van_breukelen
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for most European fans the 1980-1994 period is still a gap I guess the next convention should take place in the US, preferably with some of the (then) Sparks ex-members around, and preferably also people from the original HalfNelson band...

Would be glad to buy a ticket, will even consider sponsoring such an event.
Mike Ventrella
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USA! In New York!

About 10 years ago, a bunch of NY Sparks fans had some get togethers -- we watched videos, had dinner, and talked Sparks. It was great. That was when we talked on the Sparks message group (which I have no idea if it still exists -- message groups kind of got killed by Bulletin Boards). I think that if you can't get a good crowd at the biggest English speaking city in the world, there is something wrong...

And if you can convince Ron and Russel to appear you'll get even more people. It is easier for them to appear in America than overseas, after all. They did a free concert in Central Park a while ago, so maybe you can coordinate with them if they plan on being in NY again to try to do it at the same time. (I am so upset that I missed that concert -- ironically, I was in Ireland at the time.)
maelstrom
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leeds!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Polls All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: