SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sparks in Helsinki -- What can we expect?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
superiorinferior

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Sparks in Helsinki -- What can we expect? Reply with quote

Goodness, I am looking forward to the gig next Monday!

I am amazed that it still apparently hasn't sold out here though. I suppose it will soon, the venue is not that large.

What do you think will be on the setlist? I mean, they have enough rehearsed songs to choose from these days, eh?

Do you think they'll run through the new album straight through and then do some older ones or will it be a straightforward "greatest hits" gig.

They are playing a festival in Estonia, and I can't imagine that doing an album all the way through would float at such an event(?) But what do I know about what floats for what is obviously one of the best bands to grace the planet, eh?

Cheers from Helsinki (I can't believe they actually are coming here of all places! I was despondent earlier about the 21 gigs, thinking I would never see them this year (ever?) and then they announce they're coming here... Gosh!
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sparks in Helsinki -- What can we expect? Reply with quote

superiorinferior wrote:
What do you think will be on the setlist? Do you think they'll run through the new album straight through and then do some older ones or will it be a straightforward "greatest hits" gig. They are playing a festival in Estonia, and I can't imagine that doing an album all the way through would float at such an event(?)

I would say that it's highly unlikely that they will play the whole of the new album at a festival. As you rightly mention, that really only works at a dedicated concert where fans are coming to hear one band promote their new album.

As for the setlist, I would imagine it will depend on three things:

1) which musicians they take with them - i.e. Steven Nistor, Jim Wilson, Marcus Blake and/or Steve McDonald, or just Tammy Glover...

2) whether they are headlining or not - if they're not headlining, they almost certainly won't have time to play the new album in its entirety even if they wanted to...

3) how long they are allowed to play - at some festivals, even the headline band is lucky to get much longer than 45 minutes...

I'd say you'll get a couple of songs from ECOTD plus some classic Sparks - doesn't sound too bad...
superiorinferior

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the reply... Perhaps I muddled my point a bit. The gig in Helsinki is a one-time show at a relatively small venue (capacity of 700), not the Estonian festival which I also mentioned...

As a huge fan of Lil Beethoven and Hello Young Lovers, I definitely wouldn't mind a lot of that stuff... I haven't even received the new CD in the mail yet (ordered it last week) so am not really up to speed on that stuff...

As for their older stuff I know the "hits," but truly am a "new" fan (at the ripe age of 39, I guess I missed their heyday and their "midlife" material).

I have a feeling, though, after the show, I will be more apt to dive into the earlier stuff with more vigor.
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is every chance they will play the new album...they played HYL in Russia last year..So I'd imagine..ECOTD and a greatest hits is on the cards for you...fingers crossed.
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Robertson wrote:
There is every chance they will play the new album...

Yes, I would agree that they will almost certainly play the entire album at their own gig.
superiorinferior

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkRae wrote:
Alex Robertson wrote:
There is every chance they will play the new album...

Yes, I would agree that they will almost certainly play the entire album at their own gig.

That suits me, sir.

Missy
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an interview in Metro-lehti where Russell said that they will be playing some old classics but also many songs from the new album! OMG! 4 more days!!!
Too late for that
Too late for that
You've Got Mael
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone heard anything about the show in Estonia last night? I don't suppose there are any Estonians on the Forum?
Eric Murray
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just arrived in Helsinki - after Friday night in London which was excellent I am curious what set will be performed Monday night - not expecting ECOTD ( but I wish ) - expect more of a bit of Everything !
Missy
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you again , Eric!
To everyone: if you want to see us Finnish fans, come to the terrace bar of Kiasma, the Museum of the Modern Art, just next to the railway station, round 6.30 PM !! EEK! How can I sleep tonight?!?
Too late for that
Too late for that
TommyGun
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is every Sparks gig so far away?

Loads of fun to everyone whos luckier than me
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EEEK! ATTENTION!!! Kiasma is closed on Mondays, so let's see at Lasipalatsi terrace bar, it's in front of Kiasma on the other side of Mannerheimintie.
Too late for that
Too late for that
Eric Murray
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I was Lost and Found.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: