SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most popular suggestions will form the basis the set

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tj Sundown
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Most popular suggestions will form the basis the set Reply with quote

"The most popular suggestions will form the basis the set"

...Or not as the case may be.

I'de decided to keep it quite from my best mate that Moon Over Kentucky had been voted equal first. I couldn't wait to see the look of surprise on his face when they played it.

In the end it was me who got the big surprise.

Joy
Joy
lazysunbathers
Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best gig of all time and you're nit-picking ...? ;)

Seriously though, looking at the Top Ten as voted, there was no way that was going to be played as a second set. And didn't Russell say at various Islington gigs that he and Ron were going to influence the decision a little?

I believe everything they played WAS voted for... just that some of the songs were a little lower down the voting order than others.

Dal
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If R&R are intending to make a commercial release of the Shepherds Bush gig they may have wanted to avoid the need to have one track which has songwriting credits beyond "Ron and Russell Mael".
I'm not sure but I think "Moon Over Kentucky" also had "Mankey and Mankey" credits, didn't it?
It might be why they also also chose to omit any of the "No.1 in Heaven" tracks. I'm fairly sure that "Moroder" shares the songwriting honours for some of those.
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to point out.."form the basis of the set"..to my mind always meant..that the songs FROM the top selection would be considered for inclusion,(nothing was guaranteed)and played with other tracks(as chosen by the band..or maybe just Russell...lol).The tracks chosen may have been selected for their suitability to gel together as an encore set.....

..........I might be wrong though...
Dal
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Robertson wrote:
Just to point out.."form the basis of the set"..to my mind always meant..that the songs FROM the top selection would be considered for inclusion,(nothing was guaranteed)and played with other tracks(as chosen by the band..or maybe just Russell...lol).The tracks chosen may have been selected for their suitability to gel together as an encore set.....

..........I might be wrong though...

They did six out of the top eight, didn't they?
That's pretty good going, I'd have thought.
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good going indeed...they could've just played the top one and it would still "formed the basis" of the encore...Still I'll bet TJ's mate was blown away by Big Boy anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: