SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...Exotic creatures of the deep
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ineedgoodmusic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ECOTD concert was absolutely fab. What can I say without repeating other reviews?

Sound quality very good. Low stage - I was in the stalls and did not know Ron was on stage until he suddenly popped up in Good Morning! - a very slick dramatic effect! I later figured out he had arisen as per message of song.

Was very interested in the choice of music for second half - was impressed by the power of BB and Whippings. They have such an extensive catalogue very difficult to short-list. Good all-round selection but of course up to the band to make final decision. Just disappointed it didn't go on for longer with B-sides!

Been a Sparks fan since 1974. Over the month I have seen the live streaming for some concerts and downloaded the available mp3's so now can't get Sparks' music out of my head!
lazysunbathers
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brightonian wrote:
lazysunbathers wrote:
One of the best gigs I've ever been to - despite the fact that ECOTD ain't a patch on HYL

What fact is this??? I would argue ECOTD is more consistent, though both albums have their weaker tracks. I think - can't tell yet - ECOTD is better, more sublime. Pregnant, Renaissance, Likeable, Can't Believe, all excellent.

Sorry - of course I should have said "my opinion" rather than "fact" ... Brightonian, the four songs you mention I personally find banal and fairly unlistenable. In fact, ECOTD is the first occasion since Interior Design that I've been disappointed with a Sparks album. Pretty much everything on HYL and LB is FAR superior to this oddly dull record, both lyrically and musically - and in terms of originality and manic creative energy (Waterproof being, in my opinion, one of the greatest songs Ron has ever written which totally wipes the floor with anything on ECOTD). That said, nearly everything up to and including Lighten Up, Morrissey is pretty good - and the performance at Shepherds Bush was truly maginificent. I just feel that a lot of the songs simply don't stand up without the animation/performance. Just my opinion, folks. What a horrible world it would be if we all thought alike.

Lady Is Lingering
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lazysunbathers wrote:
What a horrible world it would be if we all thought alike.

My thoughts exactly

Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Full Moon to at Sundown Reply with quote

Me serious?

Nah!

Just wish I was back walking through the doors of Halfnelson. That's all.

Joy
Joy
Tj Sundown
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Time Machine Time Reply with quote

...and of course this time around I'd have a golden ticket in my back pocket.
Joy
Joy
Physicality
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lazysunbathers wrote:
(Waterproof being, in my opinion, one of the greatest songs Ron has ever written which totally wipes the floor with anything on ECOTD).

But that's kind of silly really. I mean it would make sense if you said oh well such and such is one of my least favourite Sparks songs yet it wipes the floor....but when you say the album doesn't have one of Ron's greatest songs ever, well it's not a great argument!

I would say Strange Animal is one of Sparks most lyrical and musically intriguing songs.
Lady Is Lingering
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noisy Boy wrote:
Dick Around was fabulous (I wonder what Ron & Russell’s disagreement was before that one started?)

I'm a bit late in responding to the question but as I was centre front on the night it seemed to me that the 'disagreement' was about whether or not Ron would stand up and do the mime at the beginning of Dick Around. My impression was he wasn't going to but Russell gently persuaded him that he should, so he did and hurrah!
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: sparks nut Reply with quote

I KNOW IM LATE BUT IVE HAD TROUBLE GETTING MY PASSWORD SORTED SINCE 1979! I THOUGHT ECOTD AND THE B SIDES WERE DONE BRILLIANTLY,IVE SEEN THEM AT SHEPHERDS BUSH A COUPLE OF TIMES OVER THE YEARS AND THINK THIS VENUE SUITS THEM MORE THAN ANY OTHER,ALTHOUGH I COULDNT MAKE THIS TOUR DUE TO FINANCES I REALLY ENJOED PLONKING THE HEADPHONES ON EVERYNIGHT AND WATCHING THE STREAMING WHICH MAY I SAY WAS A LIFESAVER AND WHOEVER SET IT UP MY A THANK YOU SO MUCH.ANYWAY EVERYTHING HAS VIRTUALLY BEEN SAID AND PERSONALLY I COULD LISTEN TO RUSS SINGING ANYWHERE AND I WOULD BE HOOKED,BUT THE SHOW PROVED THAT THE GUYS ARE IN A DIFFERENT LEAGUE WHEN IT COME DOWN TO CLASS AND DELIVERING A SHOW LIVE,THE BURNING OF THE ALBUMS HAS TO BE ONE OF THE MOST EMOTIONAL THINGS IVE EVER SEEN SPARKS DO,I HAD TEARS ROLLING DOWN MY EYES AS THE HAUNTING MUSIC PLAYED AND RON SET FIRE TO EACH ALBUM PACKED WITH SO MANY MEMORIES,IT WAS A GOOD JOB THEY HAD A LENGHTY BREAK BEFORE THE 2ND HALF AS I NEEDED A DRINK AND TIME TO REGROUP.BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY IT WAS A FITTING CLIMAX AND I WAS JUST PLEASED THAT THE GUYS REALISED MORE THAN THEY EVER THOUGHT HOW MUCH THEY ARE LOVED BY THE FANS AND WHAT EVEN THE MOST OVERLOOKED RECORDS STILL MEAN TO PEOPLE,AN ABSOLUTE JOY AS ALWAYS FROM THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD. Ron Playing
Eve
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter. Your caps lock is on.
PETER RAWCLIFFE
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks eve,i always write in caps,but for you i will change.
Eve
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: