SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...17)Plagiarism
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Stunner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've "only" been to 11 of the gigs so far, but Plagerism was easily the best - a truly stunning night to remember.

The place was bulging, as was the stage with all those strings and wood-wind instruments, and the band were as superb as Russell's singing. How many singers could honestly not put a foot wrong during such a unique and vocally demanding song as Propaganda?

Jimmy Sommerville's appearence was genuinely thrilling, not least of all because he seemed so genuinely delighted to be sharing the stage with his heroes, and the string versions of the old Sparks' classics were at least the equal of their recorded versions.

Mind you, we deserve praise too; the atmosphere in the crowd was buzzing from start to finish, and if it's true that a band is only as good as its audience, we were the bollocks.

In a month of fantastic nights, this was the best of the lot. Wow, wow, and wow-to-the-power-of-a-billion. Encore!!
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said. It really was a stunning show, done with perfection. You could tell there had been tons of toil put in by the band members and the excellent strings, brass and woodwind players. Its perhaps a highlight of a programme of highlights. I felt really stirred by hearing so many of these favourite Sparks songs reinterpreted and performed so lushly.

I think the resounding welcome of the crowd said it all for Jimmy Sommerville when he bounded onto the stage like a Spring Spaniel pup and sung effortlessly.

Concert of the year. A treat of treats. How lucky we all are to have experienced something so flawless and fantastic.
unprinted
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themightybishop wrote:
(quoting) "After the show Jimmy told me my drumming on "Beat the Clock" made him feel like he was 18 again."

Absolutely - I was hoping they'd do this as one of the ECOTD second set just to show off how good that was.

With the run over and having seen most of them, Plagarism remains my favourite, for the incredible atmosphere and sheer (successful!) audacity of doing it live, despite how many people would need to be packed onto that small stage.
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unprinted wrote:
With the run over and having seen most of them, Plagarism remains my favourite

With the run over and having seen all of them, Plagiarism also remains my favourite.
Kermit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick belated review to "Plagiurism". It was the only one of the 21 concerts that I didn't make it too. Suffice to say that if I had gone I probably would've collapsed. By this time on the run I was just so exhausted that there was no way I could have lasted another night at the Academy without ending up on the floor so I rested at home and watched it on the livestream instead. I'm actually quite glad I did because at least I got to see how it was being streamed over the internet and what a great way to let all those that actually couldn't attend the concerts enjoy them too.
Russell was looking splendid in his red suit and black shirt.
The backing vocals were especially good on "Propaganda" with the harmonies working well. The ending to the Faith No More version of "Something for the girl with everything" was fabulous, extending it making more of the song was just fab. Russell conducting the college orchestra to "Number 1 song in heaven" was like watching our li'l Beethoven in full swing! Jimmy Somerville came on to raptuose applause and although Russ was straining a bit vocally Jimmy did his part well and going straight in to "Never turn your back on mother earth" was alway a great popular medley at previous Sparks shows.
With the favourite "Looks aren't everything" as encore the crowd seemed well pleased. "Plagiurism" itself was never a real favourite of mine as I would have preferred a different direction to some of the reworked songs but this album was a real showcase to the direction Sparks were gonna go with the next few albums. Busiest night of all too apparently. The rest did me good though and I managed the rest of the tour with no problem. Good times!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: