SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ooh I Could Test Drive A Tonka Toy!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> General Sparks Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you see this?
Yes I remember this
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
I haven't got a clue what you're going on about (but I still feel the need to register a vote!)
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 4

Adam
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 8:15 pm    Post subject: Ooh I Could Test Drive A Tonka Toy! Reply with quote

While checking out a fanstastic website about retro TV programmes (www.tvcream.org) I came across this gem about Crackerjack, that perennial Friday afternoon kids' show:

'[The show's element of music-hall slapstick] also included the ever-present and always-cringemaking point where the cast broke out of some whimsical sketch into a full-on rendition of popular contemporary hits, eg. "Golden Years" and, unforgettably, Sparks' "Something for the Girl with Everything" sung by Don [Not-Mr-American-Pie] MacLean as he assaulted Peter Glaze with an old boot.'

Anyone remember this?!
cfsmtb
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:roll: crikey mate, sure you didn't lick the back of a smilely face before viewing this? :russ2:
Fidel Christos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the singing "Something For the Girl With Everything" but Leslie Crowther and Peter Glaisier were certainly up for a bit of mayhem when it came down to it, I seem to recall incidents involving Mick Jagger and Peter Noone, they did get subversive quite a lot although most of it went over the heads of the normal 10 years olds that watched it...what you've described is entirely plausible...I wonder if anyone else recalls this...Ron especially would find it hysterical...
Adam
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More words of wisdom from the utterly brilliant TV Cream website, this time in a long, long piece about "Top Of The Pops":

'In the pantheon of all time nutters who made their scary mark in many a child's mind via the 'Pops, you can't get better than Sparks' RON MAEL. While his singing bruv Russell skipped about like Mick Jagger via Mick Robertson (usually in bare feet, an' all), silent keyboard type Ron sat stock-still behind his organ, in a smart three-piece suit and patented "dodgy symbolism" straight-edge Brilliantined haircut and small, clipped tache. Had the unnerving habit of catching the camera out of the corner of his eye, and staring at it, unblinking, until it cut back again. One-fingered keyboard technique, with rest of upper body absolutely rigid, filtered down to New Order, The Pet Shop Boys' CHRIS LOWE, and many others.'

Check out this website! I just downloaded an mp3 of "The Great Egg Race" theme tune - a brilliant "Popcorn"-esque nugget of late 70s BBC Radiophonic Workshop electronica!
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aah..THAT episode of Crackerjack....how well I remember it...it was reprised on a Danny Baker 10 minute mini programme,"Television Heroes" or some such thing,where he proclaimed the televisionic brilliance of various TV legends..Peter Glaze,Fanny Craddock etc...He used the "Something For The Girl With .."as an example of how PG could get anything into a comedy act,even,"something as weird as a Sparks' song!"
I wonder if Danny Baker is a closet Sparks' fan??...Nah!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> General Sparks Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: