SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gig Reviews
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miss sparks
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject: Gig Reviews Reply with quote

As i won't be able to attended any gigs, it would be good for Sparks fans to post their gig reviews here.
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But maybe post the set list as DMs to those who want it and keep the surprises for those attending later gigs
miss sparks
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviews can be done after the tour, so not to spoil any surprises. I will be checking youtube as there will be some videos to watch. So sad i can't attend any gigs.
PeterE
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there should be reviews

hopefully tonight ... nobody has to read them
Bristols
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up for work now so rather than ruin the surprise for those lucky enough to have tickets for the remainding dates let me conclude the following from last night…

Having watched hundreds of bands over nearly 50 years they just blew everyone away…

Q. How many established acts can you name who have the Balls to encore with a new track!

MiniPop
aussie
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bristols wrote:
Up for work now so rather than ruin the surprise for those lucky enough to have tickets for the remainding dates let me conclude the following from last night…

Having watched hundreds of bands over nearly 50 years they just blew everyone away…

Q. How many established acts can you name who have the Balls to encore with a new track!

MiniPop

looks like the boys still have the golden touch

I HAVE WON LOTTO
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miss sparks wrote:
Reviews can be done after the tour, so not to spoil any surprises. I will be checking youtube as there will be some videos to watch. So sad i can't attend any gigs.

There is, if you want to check it out, a pic of the setlist up on Facebook already (I managed to blank it, so all surprises are still in store for me)
PeterE
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no 2nd keyboarder?
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxford was astounding! Always I grapple with apprehension in the tense minutes before the first show after a break. Sparks have meant so much to me over the years, purveyors of the most wonderful and stirring music and lyrics so witty, wise and interesting. Not just life affirming, transformative. When they go on the road, I try to see them as wide and far as my purse strings will stretch. Every time, new friendships will be kindled through love of Sparks, often with folk who are going to their first show by the band (as indeed was the case last night). And I want them to share the electrifying experience I've had while wary of the decline of many of their contemporaries and many who followed. So, in Oxford, Sparks had a lot to live up to and my nerves were tingling.

No worries. As if hit with a ball of lightning, Russell exploded into life, a "real live wire", bouncing across the stage whilst a backdrop of illuminated shapes blazed along as the rhythm thundered from one song to the next. As if his own avatar, Russell seemed a creation of an artificial energy, a snapshot of a sprite "forever young", incessantly moving as if mysteriously directed by orders from high above him. As static as a pylon, the tall, lean figure of Ron perched by the keyboard, the only key to movement was if you spotted his spidery fingers. Above the duo, the now loved characters that made up the superb band were busy shadows.

No way would I disclose songs. The shock of the new awaits as Sparks once again soar dramatically ahead of the current as pop's great innovators. That might be balanced by the reassurance of instantly recognisably good songs. Invigorating, the show was the musical equivalent of shooting the rapids.

In the past I used to post a lot on Sparks related social media, discussing rare tracks in their now 28 strong album journey beloved by me, fans, and well, the so important ... A few years ago, I stopped, spotting many of these being incorporated to previous shows, fearing I'd blundered into undue influence. During my online silence, this time, the guys must have read my mind compiling the set-list sparkling with such gems. Russell could have paused to give introductions to each, like most performers of note who would be self-satisfied with a glimmer of Sparks brilliant material and the anecdotes behind it. But no, he was in his stride, pounding through the numbers, with a voice echoing the youthfulness on those excellent early Bearsville albums, with an exactitude that was almost eerie and somehow beat the clock.

I began typing this in a train carriage accommodating eight other fans as we made our way towards Liverpool. Doing it all again. For those about to see the shows, you have something very special to look forward to. This is Sparks on steroids.

Last edited by allydodd on Wed May 24, 2023 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
miss sparks
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your review, just seen the videos on youtube. Sparks are on top form love the new songs, anyone going to gigs are going to have the time of their lives.
Brightonian
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't help myself: I checked setlist.fm ... what an impressive balance of new album (7 songs), core essentials and back catalogue gems (many not played since 21x21 in 2008).
dinky
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to try and resist looking at the set list, lasted about 30 seconds before I succumbed
Toughest Girl In Town
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually the first thing I did this morning! I had no intention of waiting for 3 more weeks until I see them live :)
waterloosunset
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allydodd, thank you for that amazing review. You were so specific in your details without revealing anything to those who want to be surprised. For those of us seeing Sparks in their homeland, the wait will be difficult, but clearly worth it.
waterloosunset
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dinky wrote:
I was going to try and resist looking at the set list, lasted about 30 seconds before I succumbed

Last night, I paced around for five minutes before I broke down and looked. I’m hoping that I won’t look again and will at least forget some of it before I see them.
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From some of the gig photos...you don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to work out what at least one of the older songs is...( no not Sherlock Holmes).. but I won't say what picture is the give away so as not to spoil the surprise for first timers.
aussie
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have watched the videos on youtube, and all I can say is WOW, how can a 74 and 77 year old do that, WOW.
please come to Australia

I HAVE WON LOTTO
PeterE
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxxx

Last edited by PeterE on Thu May 25, 2023 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOOM .. And in one fell swoop PeterE spoils a surprise for some people...why???
PeterE
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Robertson wrote:
BOOM .. And in one fell swoop PeterE spoils a surprise for some people...why???

sorry, I do not understand the issue...
when I use the forum I do want infos etc.
and when I do not want infos i just avoid this topic...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: