SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Album Club - Sparks catalogue reviewed over 24 weeks (2023)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oscar
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy M wrote:
Now we've skipped Seduction anyway, why not go with highersynth's original plan, which polishes off the "traditional" albums before Christmas, and then tackles the rest of the Maels' oeuvre in the New Year?

I vote for this plan.
phdave that afternoon
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscar wrote:
Andy M wrote:
Now we've skipped Seduction anyway, why not go with highersynth's original plan, which polishes off the "traditional" albums before Christmas, and then tackles the rest of the Maels' oeuvre in the New Year?

I vote for this plan.

Me too, for selfish reasons. It allows me to space out digesting new albums (for me). I have not heard anything from Seduction yet but know Drip Drip and Latte. I'm still digesting Hippo, so I'd rather space out the completely new albums.
Oscar
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a ton to say about Hippopotamus. It's fun, funny, moving at times, stylistically diverse... I wouldn't hesitate to call it a Great album. One thing I love about Ron: if I were him and I'd come up with the idea for "Edith Piaf," I probably would have said "no, this is too similar to 'When Do I Get to Sing "My Way"' and tossed it aside, but Ron did no such thing, wrote the hell out of it, and created yet another Sparks classic. I'm so glad we have both songs.

My favorite is probably "A Little Bit Like Fun" though. It's unlike any other Sparks song except for maybe "My Other Voice," where the atmosphere/production is at least as important as the lyrics and melody. But the lyrics to "My Other Voice" are almost nonsensical anyway. "A Little Bit Like Fun"'s lyrics (all three lines of them!) carry a lot more meaning, to me, at least. "Mrs. Lincoln" is another favorite, and also one of the Sparks songs I would most like to see them do live.

There are a few songs on the album that don't do much for me, like "Mr. Repeat" and "French Director." I've come to appreciate "Bummer" more than I did at first. The one I've never really cared for, though, is "Giddy Giddy." It's just very...dorky, and not in an endearing way.

8/10
waterloosunset
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Oscar and Andy - let’s do the “traditional” albums first and go for Seduction and Annette later.
Toughest Girl In Town
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hippopotamus" did pretty well in the UK charts when it was released, and it's not very surprising because it's just so brilliant and clever.
It starts with a very enigmatic song "Probably nothing". To this day I still don't know what it really is about... a man who chickens out before declaring his love to someone, or a man showing early signs of dementia? What do you think?

There are so many good lyrics in this album, Ron did a great job on "I Wish You Were Fun", "Bummer" and "The Amazing Mr Repeat" which are all so funny to listen to.
All the additional musicians also did a good job on this album, especially the drums that sound really cool on this record. That drum part on the song "Hippopotamus" is irresistible, makes me want to dance each time! We also have more guitars (which is always a good thing to me), and Rebecca Sjöwall's powerful voice is definitely at the right place on this album. Her high C at the end of "Life With The McBeths" is very impressive, and such a grandiose way to finish it.

"Missionary Position" is just a perfect example of how a good pop song should sound like. I love it so much, every bit of this song is just excellent. There are many great songs in this album, but this one has to be my favourite. And Russell's voice is out of this world, as always. I wish I saw it live but who knows, maybe on their next tour (fingers crossed).

On the other hand, I lack enthusiasm for "Unaware" that I find somewhat slow and boring.
I'm not a great fan of "When You're a French Director" either, a bit too cliché maybe. Sounds too much like Amelie soundtrack, I suppose I just got fed up with the accordion !

9/10
phdave that afternoon
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the songs seem to be about aging and being boring. Most of the ones that are not explicitly about that might have some indirect connection.

The inclusion of the reference to sundown makes me think that Probably Nothing is about cognitive decline/aging/dementia. Ron has used this as a subject before.

I'm having trouble figuring out what The Amazing Mr. Repeat is about. Any ideas? Another reference to short term memory loss?
waterloosunset
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a long hiatus from being just Sparks, Ron and Russell created a delightful selection of songs for Hippopotamus. The melodies are varied and enticing. Many/most? songs are funny and silly (Missionary Position, I Wish You Were Fun, Hippopotamus, Giddy Giddy, Scandinavian Design, et al.), while others are touching and sometimes sobering (Probably Nothing, Edith Piaf, Bummer, A Little Bit Like fun). I don’t think there are any bad songs or songs that I skip. I have read the other posts, and I find it interesting that we all seem to like the album a lot, but our favorites can be radically different. For example, Bummer is one of my favorite songs. I think that my top three are Edith Piaf, Missionary Position, and Bummer. My least favorite 3 (by no means bad songs) are When You’re a French Director, What the Hell Is It This Time, and Unaware (but the break is great); I don’t dislike them, but I find myself getting bored, ready for the next tune. All the songs in the mid-section are just some more perfectly crafted Sparks tunes. How do they do it?

Favorite song: Edith Piaf (Said It Better Than Me) and sometimes Bummer
Least favorite Song: When You’re a French Director
Score: 9/10

Can someone help me to understand So Tell Me Mrs Lincoln? Yes, I get the somewhat sick humor in the title, but I've never been able to understand the song as a whole.
dinky
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phdave that afternoon wrote:
Most of the songs seem to be about aging and being boring. Most of the ones that are not explicitly about that might have some indirect connection.

The inclusion of the reference to sundown makes me think that Probably Nothing is about cognitive decline/aging/dementia. Ron has used this as a subject before.

I'm having trouble figuring out what The Amazing Mr. Repeat is about. Any ideas? Another reference to short term memory loss?

I think the slightly off key piano in ‘Probably Nothing’ gives it away. Something wrong, but you don’t realise
Oscar
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Probably Nothing" is pretty ambiguous and I think all of these interpretations are valid. If I remember right, Michael Silverblatt said on Bookworm that he thinks the narrator wants to propose to the person he's talking to, but can't quite get up the nerve. Could be!

"The Amazing Mr. Repeat" is kind of like "More Than a Sex Machine," except this guy is a sex machine, almost literally. There are people who want to profit off of his abilities, but he refuses to be exploited.

"Mrs. Lincoln" seems to be from the point of view of a guy listening to his significant other complain at length about him or their relationship, and he's just nodding along and not paying attention, hoping she'll just get to the point so he can get out of there.
phdave that afternoon
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscar wrote:
"The Amazing Mr. Repeat" is kind of like "More Than a Sex Machine," except this guy is a sex machine, almost literally. There are people who want to profit off of his abilities, but he refuses to be exploited.

I guess when Sparks lyrics are unclear just do the thing that people do with fortune cookies: Add "in bed" to the end and it will make sense.

Oscar wrote:
"Mrs. Lincoln" seems to be from the point of view of a guy listening to his significant other complain at length about him or their relationship, and he's just nodding along and not paying attention, hoping she'll just get to the point so he can get out of there.

Agree. Someone bored out of their mind in this conversation saying that joke punchline over and over to themselves to pass the time.
waterloosunset
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you phDave and Oscar for your comments on Mrs. Lincoln. They make complete sense to me.
Oscar
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phdave that afternoon wrote:
I guess when Sparks lyrics are unclear just do the thing that people do with fortune cookies: Add "in bed" to the end and it will make sense.

Ha, yes, probably a safe bet.
phdave that afternoon
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it is time for me to give thoughts. I feel like I need to come back to all of these albums later to get a more accurate rating and ranking, especially the ones I really like.

I really like Hippo and will give it another 9/10. I enjoy all of the songs with maybe the exception of French Director, which is just meh for me. It does not bother me but I find myself wanting to skip it. I feel like I want to dislike Giddy Giddy but it gets stuck in my head and the lyrics about researchers studying why they are giddy and needing a bigger grant makes me chuckle. I feel myself excited to hear each song as it comes on.

My top favorite is Edith Piaf. Maybe after that Missionary Position, IWYWF, ALBLF, but close behind are the rest. I really like the various subtle sounds that are different for each song. Sometimes they are recognizable instruments, sometimes just sounds that set the mood in different ways. I like listening with headphones to hear the intricate production.

There isn't one song that I feel like is an all time Sparks song that I would specifically listen to just on its own over and over like I do with songs from other albums. But I really enjoy listening to the album beginning to end and I enjoy them when they come up in shuffle.

I guess I'll re-evaluate this again over the next couple of weeks, but I feel like this album has a lot of similarity in style with Drip Drip and Latte. The songs themselves are diverse on each album, but there is some consistency in approach that carries through each album. I can't quite put my finger on why. Perhaps it is because they are fully self sufficient in making these albums more than they were in the past, so they are more direct from their imaginations to the final product. I feel like these three albums go together maybe more than any three consecutive albums they have done. These three feel more like a trio than LB, HYL, and ECOTD, but perhaps I will think differently after spending more time with Drip Drip and Latte.
phdave that afternoon
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something about "a little bit like fun/joy/love" that really gets me. Such subtle phrasing to basically say it is NOT fun/joy/love. And to have a whole song where it is sweetly sung over and over.
Eric Murray
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought A Little Bit Like Fun .... fun/joy/love .....could have been used in a Christmas TV Ad
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very late with my homework this week!
It's been a busy week full of activities out and about with hubby, so annoyingly, I haven't had chance to listen really carefully right through. I really love this album and could listen to it again and again, and it's ironic I've had time on my hands when required to study some of the ones I really didn't enjoy on the relevant week!

Anyway, it's easily a 9/10 for me - and overall, a joyful album, whatever the subtext when you dig down. This is a lazy review unfortunately - very me me me - sorry!

First, the also-rans, not actually because I don't enjoy them - it's just they don't lift my heart or "stick" with me in the same way. I don't really count "Probably Nothing" as that's more an introductory vignette than a song in its own right (and no less interesting for that). In descending order:
"Bummer" - fun track when it's playing but not sticky.
"Unaware" - interesting song, similarly lacking traction for me.
"A Little Bit Like Fun" - nice, possibly a riposte to "I wish you were fun?" - has a hopeful tone for me, rather than a downbeat one.
"Giddy Giddy" - should be irritating, isn't. Can't find the substance to this one - maybe there is none?
"When You're a French Director" - I really haven't looked hard enough at this one.
"So Tell Me Mrs. Lincoln Aside from That How Was the Play?" - ok when playing, but complete teflon
"The Amazing Mr. Repeat" - the only track I don't like very much.

That looks a lot, and makes me question my 9/10 - but I thoroughly enjoy the album as a whole and these are all good songs, just not, imo, as good as my favourite tracks.

The majestic Edith Piaf - Sparks at their soaring, elevating, masterful best. What more can I say?
Very closely followed by Missionary Position - more of their best, and in typical Sparks fashion, entirely different from EP in mood, style, delivery... a joyful romp, appropriately enough.
Hippopotamus - love the ridiculous lyrics and situation. I delight in speculating where on earth the inspiration for this came from!
I Wish You Were Fun - jolly song, makes me chuckle every time, for some reason especially at "you say that your favourite colour's brown". Why would that tickle me so??

Division 2 are tracks that were originally on the Also Ran list, but I found I needed to promote them!
"Scandinavian Design" - I love the musical themes in this when they're playing - just wouldn't occur to me to sing them to myself.
"What the Hell Is It This Time?" This DOES replay in my head, and very catchy it is too. Just not top of my personal chart.
"Life with the Macbeths" - such a clever song riffing on the grim and rather tasteless nature of reality TV like "life with the Osbournes". It reminds me musically of some of Lil' Beethoven, and would be higher in my list if it contained a bit more interest, but it's a bit treacly for my taste.

Safe to say I'll be playing all the tracks again and again - brilliant album.
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Week 23 of Album Club - w/c 10th December - A Steady Drip Drip Drip

You can find a link to the album on Spotify here:

https://open.spotify.com/album/4fU4XhSsBtgsCdXi3JoLyM?si=0pkotr3tT5OvUzxEZQE7kQ

Prompts for discussion, if needed, and scores for previous albums, at the top of the thread.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions about Ingmar Bergman. Consensus seems to be to pick him up in the new year along with Annette and the various other atypical projects.
Andy M
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Started at the top/Then I took a drop”

After No 1 in Heaven, we had Terminal Jive. After Lil’ Beethoven, we had HYL. And after Hippopotamus . . . well, you get the picture.

Like HYL, the album consists of tracks I love and ones I definitely don’t, though this time there’s more of the latter and more I’m indifferent to. Best: I’m Toast, Lawnmower, iPhone and Self-Effacing. Worst: Sainthood and All That. I realise that I may be a minority of one as to the latter, but for me Sparks have never been a guitar-strumming, wave your lighters/phones in the air type of band and I simply can’t warm to it at all.

I’m indifferent to the cover, but the Sparks logo for this album is great. Best physical version? There are three LP covers with varying amounts of drip, drip, drip. Choose one!

4/10
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlike Andy, I feel this album outshines it predecessor. I loved All That from it's first airing, and for it to become a lighter waving anthem ( ok i-phone waving anthem) as a spontaneous action at The RAH was almost tear jerking. Well my eyes watered.!!!

Back to the album, the way tracks were drip fed to us was a clever ploy... heightening desire to own it...when videos were being shown, i thought, as i have with some other Sparks albums...this is going to have a Blu-ray all track video release at some point...maybe a future album.*
This album is a total masterpiece, who could dislike Left Out In The Cold or rather who couldn't love it? Lawnmower is definitely the clever sibling to Hippopotamus, even with the ecological protest of Please Don't F**k Up My World this album is a "smiling all the way through" listen.
A definite 10/10 from me!!!

*Has any group ever released an all video album?
Oscar
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see Alex rate this one so highly! It's honestly my second favorite Sparks album, after Propaganda. This has a lot to do with the lyrics, which just happen to be even more on my wavelength than the lyrics on other albums are.

The real sweet spot on the album for me is the run of songs from "Sainthood" through "One for the Ages." I like "Onomato Pia" and "Lawnmower" quite a bit, but they don't reach the heights of what comes between them. "Sainthood" is really neat, with the interesting halting vocal melody in the verses and clever production touches throughout -- a perfect deep album cut. "Pacific Standard Time" is beautiful, "Stravinsky's Only Hit" is wacky fun, "Left Out in the Cold" is cool and especially funny to me as someone with a lot of Uniqlo clothes. "Self-Effacing" is kind of a '60s-sounding rock song with astonishingly well-executed lyrics. "One for the Ages" is my favorite and hits very close to home -- it feels like such a classic theme, but I can't think of any other songs that tackle it.

The other big ones for me are "iPhone" and "Speed of Light." The appeal of "iPhone" is obvious, I think. "Speed of Light" is maybe the best example of Sparks blowing up what should be a mundane moment to epic proportions. In this case, it's someone rushing to meet the object of their affection because they know this person won't wait long for them. This person is so desirable that they're worth breaking the laws of physics for, which, obviously, means that the laws of physics have to be revised.

The rest: I love the bridge of "I'm Toast" and the way the synth-strings layer over everthing in the last round of the chorus, but otherwise I find this one a little cheesy. I think I like "All That" more than Andy does, but I do agree with his criticisms. Love the sentiment behind this song, but the chord progression and melody mostly bore me, and they're not really executed in an interesting way. I warmed to "Please Don't F**k Up My World" after deciding that the production and instrumentation are probably meant to be kind of corny. "The Existential Threat" is my least favorite. I like it in theory, but I don't really think it pulls off the feeling of manic paranoia it's going for.

Despite some shortcomings, I love this album so much I can't not give it a 10/10.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Music Only All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 27 of 29

Jump to: