SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who was on your bedroom walls as a teenager?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> General Sparks Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kermit!
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:55 am    Post subject: Who was on your bedroom walls as a teenager? Reply with quote

I was just leaving a note in the Song Association game a minute ago & I thought it would actually make quite a fun topic. So, the question is....Who's posters were on your bedroom walls as a teenager? 13-19 yrs old, which are our formative years when we sponge the best music around at the time.
Some people might not have put posters up at all or maybe you had posters on a different theme. Depends on wether you were allowed to disgrace your bedroom walls in the first place but everyone will have a different story to tell, which should be a fun & interesting read.
For me, the biggest wall, onwards from 1974, when I was 14, was of course dedicated to Sparks. They were in every pop magazine & I still have all the posters & cuttings in a cupboard somewhere.
On the opposite wall I had Donna Summer everywhere. I just loved the Giorgio Moroder albums he produced for her, so you can imagine how happy I was when 'No 1 song in heaven' came out. Total bliss!
Third wall, getting smaller now, I had Queen. Their '70s output was exceptional, so again there were posters aplenty.
It's great that I can say I've been lucky to meet all of my 3 walls of stars later in life.
4th wall was KC & the Sunshine Band. I just loved their funky music but I've still yet to meet KC in person. There's still time I guess. They did share that last wall with Abba though. Who didn't like Abba in the 70s? Such massive well deserved success, the group gave us many wonderful tunes.
I left home when I was 17 so they all had to come down but as a teenager I was surrounded by the music that I loved. I've only kept my Sparks posters though. I couldn't get rid of them.
So if you're happy to share your stories from your teenage years, that would be fantastic & I think it'll be a good contribution to posterity. Lol...

The Future! The Future!
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea for a thread!
I had a nice little room at the back of the house, and my bed fit snugly against the short wall furthest from the door. I had an assortment of posters and albums slipped into plastic covers that were fixed up to the wall. In all honesty, aside from Russell Mael posters, (one from My Guy with a yellow background was my favourite) I don't actually remember clearly the others - but I'm almost sure they included David Coverdale as depicted on the cover of Whitesnake's "Live in the Heart of the City. The Sparks albums I owned (and therefore were up there) were Two Originals, Kimono, Propaganda, Indiscreet, and Big Beat both outer and inner sleeves. I also had No1 in Heaven, but didn't display it. I suspect ELO's "Discovery" and "Out of the Blue" were up there too - they were certainly in the room, along with "Godspell". And ABBA. Loads of ABBA, up to and including Name of the Game, though almost certainly not on the wall.
miss sparks
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look in my family photo album. There are photos of me in my bedroom with posters of Queen, Sparks and David Bowie in 1975.
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be slightly odd, I had a poster of Dracula, a picture of Jesus and illustrations of Queen Victoria (as a young lady) and one of Bodicea ( before she was called Boudicca) which came from a Christmas annual.
Yes...a good shrink would have a field day with me.
Kermit!
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Robertson wrote:
I must be slightly odd, I had a poster of Dracula, a picture of Jesus and illustrations of Queen Victoria (as a young lady) and one of Bodicea ( before she was called Boudicca) which came from a Christmas annual.
Yes...a good shrink would have a field day with me.

That does explain quite a lot Alex. How you coped with those figures around you at night time is really surprising but then that's the fun of these stories as we continue. To think of it, I'm not so sure I've ever seen you in broad daylight actually. Lol....
Good to see the other posts so far as well. It'll be interesting to see what the newer & younger fans will have to contribute.

The Future! The Future!
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true, I don't venture into daylight if it's broad....I prefer narrow daylight 😜
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teenage bedroom was a product of my parents letting me express myself. Thank you.

I had a couple walls dedicated to Queen which was my favorite band as a teen not to mention their posters were readily available at record stores and the back of magazines. I also had double digit promo album covers from record stores of ANATO and NOTW. I'm sure I'm not the only one that hung out at record stores.

Other walls were filled with Todd Rundgren, Bowie, Mott The Hoople and a huge Sweet poster that was very UK, not the tamed down US Sweet.

My ceiling was postered and had hand painted albums dangling on wires. I had a pyramid with the faces of Utopia (promo from RA album) hanging above my bed. The best (worst) was my closet with sliding doors removed and I had the legs of a mannequin hanging wearing pants and socks. A real conversation starter. I also had a goldfish named Sweet Jane.

Good memory....
Brightonian
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread!

I got into Sparks c.1979 at the tender age of 13, so subsequent decorations didn't have recourse to all the print euphoria of 1974-75. (I was always struck by the lack of Sparks publicity/promo/poster stuff available in 1979/80, despite the clearly obvious brilliance of No 1 in Heaven).

Also, once I had overcome conservative-minded parental hostility to putting up anything on my bedroom wall, it was probably closer to 1983/84, by which time Sparks had essentially become forgotten about in the UK apart from the by the devoted few.

Consequently: no Sparks posters on my wall. I do remember, among a load of other stuff, a Spider-Man movie poster and a portrait of Siouxsie Sioux. Everything else has faded with memory...
SteveBoyce
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wall was covered with a huge map of Europe where I was planning my escape route !
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveBoyce wrote:
My wall was covered with a huge map of Europe where I was planning my escape route !

Or planning world domination...
Oscar
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a young teen I mainly had posters of classic rock bands/artists: The Beatles, The Kinks, Hendrix, Rolling Stones, Jim Morrison. Plus a guitar chords poster. The Beatles and Kinks posters were the only ones I kept up as I got older. Can't remember what I replaced the other ones with. I didn't have a Sparks poster until I was in my early 20s, when I got this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/145027570307 -- though I definitely didn't pay anywhere near $175 for it at the time!
NudieZoot
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2008-2012

I had... clippings from Tiger Beat all about Fall Out Boy, a full sized poster from the Dark Clouds and Underdogs tour... A full size glamour poster of Green Day. I had moved across three bedrooms during that time period so things get spotty. Harry Potter bedspread. One of the rooms had painted purple butterflies all over the walls. Oh! I stole my grandfather's copy of the insert from Queen's Bicycle Race. I had that up in the closet of the last bedroom before I moved out of our second house. Came home from school to find it missing. Oh and plenty of decals from IKEA.
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NudieZoot wrote:
Oh! I stole my grandfather's copy of the insert from Queen's Bicycle Race. I had that up in the closet of the last bedroom before I moved out of our second house. Came home from school to find it missing. Oh and plenty of decals from IKEA.

I remember displaying the Bicycle Race poster once I moved into a basement bedroom. I’m pretty sure it’s now safely put away in the Jazz album sleeve. It’s not like I can display it with grandkids running around!
Kermit!
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckeye Randy wrote:
My teenage bedroom was a product of my parents letting me express myself. Thank you.

I had a couple walls dedicated to Queen which was my favorite band as a teen not to mention their posters were readily available at record stores and the back of magazines. I also had double digit promo album covers from record stores of ANATO and NOTW. I'm sure I'm not the only one that hung out at record stores.

Other walls were filled with Todd Rundgren, Bowie, Mott The Hoople and a huge Sweet poster that was very UK, not the tamed down US Sweet.

My ceiling was postered and had hand painted albums dangling on wires. I had a pyramid with the faces of Utopia (promo from RA album) hanging above my bed. The best (worst) was my closet with sliding doors removed and I had the legs of a mannequin hanging wearing pants and socks. A real conversation starter. I also had a goldfish named Sweet Jane.

Good memory....

Wow Buckeye Randy, that sounds like a totally brilliant & bonkers bedroom! That takes real dedication to be so creative & then end up with such a fabulously OTT teenage bedroom. No wonder you're a Sparks fan! I'm sure Sweet Jane was having a seriously wild time keeping you happy too. I hope you took photos for your own memories.

The Future! The Future!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> General Sparks Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: