SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Album Club 2024 - Other Work - Week 6 Other material
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterloosunset wrote:
I don't like screaming upper case letters but I HAVE A QUESTION THAT HAS BEEN BUGGING ME SINCE THE FIRST TIME I SAW ANNETTE!!!!!!

I need your help if you have any answers. In the middle of one of Henry's rants (don't know which one and I don't think it is on the recording), Henry breaks into something like this: "Oh the Catholics, hate the Protestants, and the Protestants hate the Catholics, and the Hindus hate the Muslims, and everybody hates the Jews." Those are not, as I recall, the lyrics that Henry sings with the exception of the "everybody hates the Jews" part. However, they ARE the original lyrics from the Tom Lehrer song National Brotherhood Week https://youtu.be/aIlJ8ZCs4jY?si=an5w0WkwDNF1-cmA&t=64, which is exactly what Henry is paraphrasing. Does anyone know anything about this? I was brought up on Tom Lehrer (singer-songwriter/pianist/math lecturer at both Harvard and MIT....) and was jolted when Henry broke into a much beloved song from my childhood in the middle of his shtick. I expected there to be more songs from outside of the Sparkssphere in the movie, but there weren't. When I first heard National Crime Awareness Week, its cynical humor made me wonder if R&R had ever heard National Brotherhood Week. Clearly they had.

What was the question? I got a bit lost there [smiling]
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Week 3 of Album Club II - Two Hands One Mouth

You can find a link to the album on Spotify here:

https://open.spotify.com/album/4AZqNno9z8jFOPO95Vqq7M?si=4hqHyJpYSaGxFHfWOCvKRg

Prompts for discussion, if needed, at the top of the thread.
Andy M
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Two hands, one mouth/That’s all I need to satisfy you”

Alas, for me – no. I’m afraid that this is my least favourite Sparks album, and the concert I attended on the tour my least favourite concert.

I enjoy the Sparks Overture and the title song, but none of the other renditions are as good as the originals.

Fundamentally, I miss the band format. Individually, the songs are fine. R&R have delivered two-handers elsewhere before, either as part of a concert or on the radio, and that’s been great, but presented en masse I find it wearying. Russell’s voice is as good as ever, but Ron’s electric piano, in supplying the rhythm, sounds too oompah.

I’ll say no more. Others will no doubt have very different takes on this!
waterloosunset
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@highersynth, the question, buried and not quite honed, is this: Why did Sparks decide to use an old Tom Lehrer song in Annette?

I don't think Brits will know who Tom Lehrer is, but Americans might.
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterloosunset wrote:
@highersynth, the question, buried and not quite honed, is this: Why did Sparks decide to use an old Tom Lehrer song in Annette?

Oh yes, he is/was known over here. Very entertaining!
waterloosunset
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highersynth wrote:
waterloosunset wrote:

Cool. I don't think many people (except my children) who are under 55 know who he is. My kids were always enthralled with his setting of the periodic table to I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major General.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcS3NOQnsQM
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterloosunset wrote:
highersynth wrote:
waterloosunset wrote:

Cool. I don't think many people (except my children) who are under 55 know who he is. My kids were always enthralled with his setting of the periodic table to I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major General.

Same!! He’s very Gilbert and Sullivanish all over.

phdave that afternoon
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterloosunset wrote:
highersynth wrote:
waterloosunset wrote:

I recognized that line and thought it was really weird to hear being sung by Adam Driver. And I’m under 55. (OK I’m 54). I remember that song from listening to Dr. Demento when I was 10 years old.
J. Prufrock
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterloosunset wrote:
highersynth wrote:
waterloosunset wrote:

Lehrer placed his songs into the public domain not so long ago; some current parody artists have re-recorded some Lehrer songs without alteration, while others have updated some lyrics. Lehrer's well into his 90s and retired both from music and from teaching, but is hopefully enjoying the latest wave of interest in his musical work (as may have been his intention with the public domain declaration.)
SteveBoyce
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already gave scores for these albums. I seem to be in a minority, I think Annette is the pinnacle of their music to date.

I think they can be proud of Bergman, my personal opinion is that it's a good first attempt but a bit rough round the edges.

waterloosunset wrote:
My favorite song hands down is We've Got To Turn Him 'Round. Really beautiful.

Same melody as Garbo and I agree very strong.

waterloosunset wrote:

Tom Lehrer was probably more famous in the UK than in the US!

My guess is that Adam Driver may have added this, the two scenes of Henry performing are Driver's contribution to the film I believe.

The film has kind of three layers, the original stage show developed by R&R, the additions by Carax (fleshing out the characters plus the material at the end after the trial which is where the story originally ended), plus finally the two performances by Henry which were Driver's contribution. (The Worth Her Weight in Gold song got ousted in favour of this I believe)
waterloosunset
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J. Prufrock wrote:

Lehrer placed his songs into the public domain not so long ago; some current parody artists have re-recorded some Lehrer songs without alteration, while others have updated some lyrics. Lehrer's well into his 90s and retired both from music and from teaching, but is hopefully enjoying the latest wave of interest in his musical work (as may have been his intention with the public domain declaration.)

I didn't know that! I'm glad that there is new interest in his songs - they are so, so clever.

Hearing National Brotherhood Week was such a jolt to my system when it showed up in Annette. I didn't mean to hijack this conversation. I will collect my thoughts on THOM during the football game.
dinky
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this at the Ritz in Manchester, a tiny venue where I couldn’t even give away a spare ticket I had. Probably the nadir of their career in the UK. Concert was brilliant though and them playing Sherlock Holmes made it all worthwhile. It was the Manchester concert that featured prominently on the live release. As the only new song was the album title. I’m not really sure what I’m giving a score on.
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dinky wrote:
Saw this at the Ritz in Manchester, a tiny venue where I couldn’t even give away a spare ticket I had. Probably the nadir of their career in the UK. Concert was brilliant though and them playing Sherlock Holmes made it all worthwhile. It was the Manchester concert that featured prominently on the live release. As the only new song was the album title. I’m not really sure what I’m giving a score on.

No need to score if there's no need to score. As it were!
dinky
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a Bullseye line that didn't make the cut
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dinky wrote:
Sounds like a Bullseye line that didn't make the cut

Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say this is more of a collector item being as it is (I think) Sparks first official live album. It's a fair collection of their career to that point almost a greatest hits album.
It was great seeing them do this tour in intimate venues and as usual the stage presence adds to the enjoyment immensely....yes it's nice having a gig with a full band but this was a sweet gesture to fans, a sort of between albums tour. So the album is a great souvenir.
dinky
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dinky wrote:

Found this review.

https://louderthanwar.com/sparks-the-ritz-manchester-live-reiew/
waterloosunset
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dinky wrote:

Found this review.

https://louderthanwar.com/sparks-the-ritz-manchester-live-reiew/

This is the kind of review that I'd like to have printed on a pamphlet for when anyone asks me, "What is Sparks," especially now that I proudly sport a button (badge) that I received for Christmas that says, "Talk to me about Sparks."
waterloosunset
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I spent the end of 2021 and the beginning of 2022 driving us into bankruptcy as I acquired 50+ years of Sparks music in physical form, there were records that were hard to find. I was able, however, to purchase the Two Hands One Mouth CD, and it opened me up to music that I didn’t know. I think that is why I have a special place in my heart for this album. It took me so long to get Indiscreet that this was the only version of Hospitality on Parade that I knew for a very long time. Now I can listen to the album as a seasoned pro (insert LOL emoji).

What strikes me as I finish listening to it in its entirety today is that it is a stunning showcase of Russell’s vocal prowess. He sounds just amazing on every song.

Andy M wrote:
Russell’s voice is as good as ever, but Ron’s electric piano, in supplying the rhythm, sounds too oompah.

I agree with Andy somewhat – there are certain songs that do not benefit from the solo keyboard; Metaphor, Dick Around, The Rhythm Thief, and Beat the Clock are top of that list. But I find other renderings especially delightful – Hospitality, Sherlock Holmes, My Baby’s Taking Me Home, Singing in the Shower, The Wedding of Jacqueline Kennedy, We’ve Got to Turn Him Round (from Bergman), and Suburban Homeboy. I think that this version of Sherlock Holmes is actually better than the original. When I hear Number One Song in Heaven, it makes me think of the closing of The Sparks Brothers, and I get goosebumps. Without that movie, there would be no Sparks in my life. I’ll stop there as I ponder that horror. “Wouldn’t it be terrible if there’s no music there.”
Spyke
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the album's a nice souvenir of a really enjoyable tour.

I think there's some wit behind the choice of songs to perform in a stripped-down way, such as those which don't seem to suit being stripped back, such as Beat The Clock, MBTMH or Dick Around. TWOJKTRM is hardly an obvious choice for a concert setlist, and other songs we wouldn't have heard without the tour/album are the overture, the Ingmar Bergman medley and the title track.

Oh, and Tom Lehrer's a clever chap and a genuine one-off. Good to hear he's still with us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Music Only All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: