SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Sparks the best band ever ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is Sparks the best band ever?
yes
68%
 68%  [ 46 ]
no
31%
 31%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 67

SOLDAT
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Is Sparks the best band ever ? Reply with quote

i vote for yes
platonic_lover
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a fan cannot be objective...
Stephen James
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you vote if you're undecided? 'Yes' or 'No' is too definitive!
Mike Ventrella
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course not. Sparks better than the Beatles? Give me a break. They're a great band yes, but come on...
platonic_lover
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To say that the Beatles are the best is kinda tradition.. on an instinct level.. dont wanna abuse anyone...sorry.
Mike Ventrella
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

platonic_lover wrote:
To say that the Beatles are the best is kinda tradition.. on an instinct level.. dont wanna abuse anyone...sorry.

Yeah, but maybe it's tradition because it's true!
Carl_van_breukelen
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Ventrella wrote:
Of course not. Sparks better than the Beatles? Give me a break. They're a great band yes, but come on...

When the Beatles did "their thing" there was not so much to compare with... (except maybe for Godly and Creme) - anyhow as long as Ron Mael doesn't accuse the Beatles as they were with all 4 of them and he has to do everything himself...
uberflash
Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beatles maybe was first (Or? I wasn't around these days! :-) ) but not the best. Simply my opinion.
For example, The Move. You can hear a thousand things direclty influenced by the Beatels, but the Move is simply doing it so much better.
fossilise_apostle
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just look at mccartney's output since sparks. he even took to imitating sparks in one of his videos. i prefer sparks far more than the beatles.
Mike Ventrella
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fossilise_apostle wrote:
just look at mccartney's output since sparks. he even took to imitating sparks in one of his videos. i prefer sparks far more than the beatles.

There wouldn't have been a Sparks without the Beatles, and I'm sure Ron and Russell would agree.

By the way, XTC is my second favorite band!
ladystardust
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There wouldn't have been a Sparks without the Beatles, and I'm sure Ron and Russell agree.

Just because their mother used to take them to the Beatles'show when they were kids....
I do love the Beatles but Sparks is the greatest band in the world just because they are always years ahead other bands .[/quote]
CALI
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Sparks are without doubt, the best band ever!!
Angus_Desire
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say that The Beatles are my fave with Sparks being a close second.

They basically did everything that was possible with popular music, but Sparks took their musical eclecticism and put lyrics that were more esoteric and not always on the plane that the average listener could relate to.

Sparks never really conquered America, they never got an OBE from the Queen or have claimed that they are much more popular than Jesus. Added to that, they seem to stay well away from drugs and dabbling in Eastern religions that the Beatles were known for.

It's good to see that John Lennon and Paul McCartney paid homage to them, but it would've been interesting if they could have got one of the Beatles to perform with them. I dunno what John and Paul had to say about the cover of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand", but to me it is an ingenius cover (and one that I couldn't stop laughing at when I heard it the first time).

I have John Lennon's "Double Fantasy" album and I think Yoko Ono's 'Give Me Something' sounds a little bit Sparkish, as does Paul McCartney's keyboards on "Old Siam, Sir" from the 'Back To The Egg' album.

Angus Desire

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sparksfangroup
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Girl From Glastonbury
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron hasn't ever said that Sparks are more popular than Jesus, ( though with falling church attendences in the UK I'm sure they are getting pretty damn close,) but he did say in a US interview in 1983 " what we've been doing in the band has become as all-encompassing as a religion. I'm the godhead, Russell's jesus, and we have lots of little virgin mary's who come to our concerts, and a few magdalenes out there too!"
fossilise_apostle
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps 'bigger than jesus' can be the name for their next album?
platonic_lover
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fossilise_apostle wrote:
perhaps 'bigger than jesus' can be the name for their next album?

too pretentious for them. Suits for a new movie with Steven Seagal though..lol...
Brightonian
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus_Desire wrote:
It's good to see that John Lennon and Paul McCartney paid homage to them, but it would've been interesting if they could have got one of the Beatles to perform with them.

McCartney and that 'Coming Up' video, but did Lennon ever really pay homage to Sparks?
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brightonian wrote:

McCartney and that 'Coming Up' video, but did Lennon ever really pay homage to Sparks?

I'm sure there was something about it in a newsletter in the early 80s..I think it was a tad tenuous...but IMO Lennon "homaged" a lot of music stars including Bowie,Noddy Holder and Aneka whenever the mood was on him.
Did someone print up a link to the "Coming Up" video on another thread??
If not...can they???
Angus_Desire
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brightonian wrote:
Angus_Desire wrote:
It's good to see that John Lennon and Paul McCartney paid homage to them, but it would've been interesting if they could have got one of the Beatles to perform with them.

He made a mention of them ion 1974 when discussing the music he and Julian were into.

'Julian called me up and he asked me 'Have you seen Queen?'. I said 'No, what it is it?' and he told me about them. Then I asked him 'Have you seen Sparks? They've got Hitler on the piano!" and he says 'No, they're alright, but have you seen Queen?' I think his age group is hipper to music. When I was young I was aware of music, but not all that much."

I think it'd be cool to see Sparks have a religious theme for their next album, maybe where Ron's snarling face is in the sky firing lightning bolts out of his fingers whilst Russell is hanging from a cross looking up at him and Tamara riding an ugly looking beast dressed in lingerie holding a chalice filled with yucky things inside it. ;-)

Angus Desire

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sparksfangroup
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Brightonian
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus_Desire wrote:
Brightonian wrote:
Angus_Desire wrote:

He made a mention of them ion 1974 when discussing the music he and Julian were into.

'Julian called me up and he asked me 'Have you seen Queen?'. I said 'No, what it is it?' and he told me about them. Then I asked him 'Have you seen Sparks? They've got Hitler on the piano!" and he says 'No, they're alright, but have you seen Queen?' I think his age group is hipper to music. When I was young I was aware of music, but not all that much."

I think it'd be cool to see Sparks have a religious theme for their next album, maybe where Ron's snarling face is in the sky firing lightning bolts out of his fingers whilst Russell is hanging from a cross looking up at him and Tamara riding an ugly looking beast dressed in lingerie holding a chalice filled with yucky things inside it. ;-)

Angus Desire

Thanks AD for clearing that up about the Lennon. I'd always wondered the context of the oft-repeated 'look it's Hitler' reference to Lennon (which I assume is the same reference as yours).

It's not a 'homage' though, is it? Nothing more than a 'reference to'. I wonder also if maybe people tend to read too much into the McCartney's imitation of Ron in the Coming Up video too: not so much a homage as 'Er, shit, what kind of keyboardist can I dress up as that people will recognise who I'm doing?'.

Incidentally, folks, did you know that Sparks both are and are not the greatest band in the world? 17th most important artist in the history of pop (in the wider sense of the term), but certainly the greatest band in the world in terms of my personal likes. So I voted 'yes' in the end. I respect the Beatles for paving the way for what happened in music, but I don't rate them that highly at all. Their music doesn't touch me at all, for the most part. They're number 1 in the 'most important artist' chart though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Polls All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: