SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Sparks the best band ever ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is Sparks the best band ever?
yes
68%
 68%  [ 46 ]
no
31%
 31%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 67

Spyke
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it was a toss-up between Sparks, Roxy Music and Siouxsie and the Banshees. Sparks got the vote because they've been around longer and changed with/against the times.
david uk
Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, I voted yes, because my 2 other favourite artists- Janis Ian and Marc Almond are not bands- otheriwse it would have been tough!
Annika
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of great bands, like Queen that i also love.
But I would rather listen to Sparks anyday.

Sparks in my opinion are the best!!!!!!!!
Candy Darling
Certified Fan

Location: I'm drinking Henessey With Morrissey On a beach Out of reach Somewhere very far away

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted no. I only think Sparks have had three moments of genius, the Kimono era, No.1 in Heaven and Lil' B/Hello Young Lovers. I also wouldn't consider Sparks as a band, more Ron and Russell and whoever they've choosen to perform live with.

For me the best band ever would have been The Smiths. They speak to a lot of people in a way no other band has and for the influence they have cast on everything since.
Sparksswede
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted yes (ofcourse).
OK there are many great bands /groups and artists but no ones compared to Sparks.
They´ve done SO MUCH GREAT.
Inspector Muffin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it all depends on your own personal definition of "Best." Does that mean the band you listen to the most? The one you like best? The most hits? The most talented? And it also depends on the genre. Some group might be the "best" in a category of music that us Sparks fan wouldn't even listen to. That's why they have different categories at the music awards (as if that's any judgement of what's good...)

So maybe we should have a poll about who everyone's favorite (or next favorite after Sparks, that is) bands are. One would think we'd all have similar likes, but I think we'd be surprised. After all, you have to be pretty open minded to be a Sparks fan!

- Inspector Muffin

"The man without a quote"
E-Clect-Eddy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspector Muffin wrote:
I think it all depends on your own personal definition of "Best." Does that mean the band you listen to the most? The one you like best? The most hits? The most talented? And it also depends on the genre. Some group might be the "best" in a category of music that us Sparks fan wouldn't even listen to. That's why they have different categories at the music awards (as if that's any judgement of what's good...)

Your absolutely right there. It also depends on the AGE you got. Some of the kiddies on this forum might not even know Buffalo Spingfield, the Kinks, the Damned, Killing Joke or Simon & Garfunkel?

www.last.fm/user/E-Clect-Eddy
Alan Liddell
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have loved Sparks music for 32 years but could not in all seriousness place them above The Beatles.

As well as being genius songwriters (who basically invented the 'singer/songwriter') The Beatles pioneered through the 60's with every sinlge and album evolving and setting new trends in music and life.

They were the 4 most famous people on the planet.

IMO The Beatles back catalogue is the best collection of songs written and performed by any artist.

I agree with the earlier poster who said Sparks truly genius moments are Kimono/Propaganda/Indiscreet/Li'l Beethoven/Hello Young Lovers. I'd put them up there with Bowie who has at least 5 brilliant albums.
Leam Srehtorb
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno really.
straightlookingenie
Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspector Muffin wrote:

So maybe we should have a poll about who everyone's favorite (or next favorite after Sparks, that is) bands are. One would think we'd all have similar likes, but I think we'd be surprised. After all, you have to be pretty open minded to be a Sparks fan!

- Inspector Muffin

Good points. I don't think I could say one band or another was the "best" but more likely what my favourites are. Sparks are in the top 5 - right up there with Pulp and Redd Kross - who interestingly enough, were members of that list before Sparks were. I think it's amazing that Steve McDonald is playing with them now.
Raoul
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would I have been aBeatlesfan when they still exsisted as a band?Probably!But for temporal bands:Yes,Sparks ARE best!It's a band you can respond to while they're still creative.
fossilise_apostle
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks are great, but they aren't consistent enough to be the best band ever. My pick would be XTC, simply because they never realased an album that wasn't brilliant and inventive, apart from their first two which are merely a disappointing "excellent". But both White Music and Go2 beat Music You Can Dance To with their arms tied behind their back.
Leanne
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Queen are tough to beat. I also think U2 are one of the best performance bands. I'm a huge Beatles fan. Pink Floyd are up there too. Take That are great, and have just reformed.

Sparks are new to me. I kinda knew they were big back then, But I don't know much about them, TBH, although, I remember using one of their lyrics on my signature on the Sinatra forum, way back when I was 18. I'd hear this playing in our club. and me and my mates thought it was a cool lyric.

"Don't try to talk my dear your tiny little mouth is full
Here's a flavour you ain't tried you shouldn't try to talk, your mouth is full"

I just can't believe I'm now into Sparks. It's freaky.
Sparksswede
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks have MANY cool lyrics. Atleast some of them are also two dimensional (or how to say it in english,I meen the lyrics in one song can have two meenings).Cool songs aswell,most of them,I think.
Cool brothers and GREAT.Great goes for the whole band and Sparks bandmembers in the past aswell (well I don´t know so much about ALL of them but many were/are GREAT,I think).

Sparks is also one of the most influentical of all artists/groups/bands in pop/rock history.
They have influenced (correct gramatic???) among others Queen,Depeche Mode,Pet Shop Boys,Erasure,Devo,New Order,Pulp,Björk,Morrissey,Franz Ferdinand,Scissor Sisters and I´m sure I´m missing some.
Russell has atleast one of the best singing voices in pop/rock.... history,I think.I just have to listen to his singing now and then (that goes for the music aswell).
Ron is a musicmaker and lyric genius (that goes for Russell at some point to).
A world without Sparks is a world I can´t think of.It would be strange and poor.
Sparks is the best band in the world ever and probably will be,I think.
maelstrom
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From 1972 to 1984, yes!
MrNormall
Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Japan is/was.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Polls All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: