SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Best EVER Sparks' Track..(phase 4)...The Final!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best Ever Track
Equator
57%
 57%  [ 15 ]
The Calm Before The Storm
26%
 26%  [ 7 ]
Moon Over Kentucky
15%
 15%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 26

Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have explained a few times...I can put up a poll...but I can't make people vote...so if there is any dissent in the finalists.....it is only due to the lack of people voting...no point ctying over spilt milk...and coming in at the end to whinge about 3 songs which were not my personal favourites...but I DID vote for the ones I hoped might win...but none of my votes got anywhere...Am I sulking?...NO..not me..not this kiddo...well..not much!!
Girl From Glastonbury
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't whinging!!!!!
Just making a comment - I missed out on the voting, my fault entirely. And it was a joke about starting again.
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Girl From Glastonbury wrote:
I wasn't whinging!!!!!
Just making a comment - I missed out on the voting, my fault entirely. And it was a joke about starting again.
I should've put a "quote" thingy up ..it was the previous poster who was having a whine about the 3 finalists..and that was to whom my cruel and cutting comments were aimed....lol
VINCENTICELLO
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew the things you say dear Alex, and my remarks were not against you, but about the gap between the title (the beautiful meaning) "best sparks songs" and the votes, rare and done principally by a certain category of sparks fans... I mean those who have to think different... Lol What are those fans so angry about ?
I did vote by the way and I m very interesting to see the choice of the majority cause I think (hope and think) there are really objective best Sparks songs... and objective bad taste amongst Sparks fan... Lol
But please Robert, don t take it personnaly. I enjoy your work...
If you don t like what I say, just remind I m a french philosophy teacher who hates Mickey Mouse !
CALI
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VINCENTICELLO wrote:
I knew the things you say dear Alex, and my remarks were not against you, but about the gap between the title (the beautiful meaning) "best sparks songs" and the votes, rare and done principally by a certain category of sparks fans... I mean those who have to think different... Lol What are those fans so angry about ?
I did vote by the way and I m very interesting to see the choice of the majority cause I think (hope and think) there are really objective best Sparks songs... and objective bad taste amongst Sparks fan... Lol
But please Robert, don t take it personnaly. I enjoy your work...
If you don t like what I say, just remind I m a french philosophy teacher who hates Mickey Mouse !

That's just your opinion though isn't it. We are all entitled to our own opinions and just because mine might not be the same as yours, doesn't mean that I have bad taste. I know what Sparks tracks I like and that is that.
kev hook
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here Here

http://www.myspace.com/alphamael
wonder girl
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Cali..............
VINCENTICELLO
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said ?
I t s just the usual banality...
No : all the opinions and tastes have not the same value...
It s obvious that Beethoven writes much better music than The Lil'one... Even though i think its objective that it is one of the best sparks album... Lol

I respect what you like but I think (and I speak in GENERAL : people are far too much aggressive here) there are lots of bad reasons to prefer a bad song and lots of uneducated ears and feelings.

I only said that it would be possible to choose rather objective good songs...
And that the calm before the storm is not a good one... something like Terminal jive without When I m with you... no, I d rather say hardly better , which is still terrifying Lol...

Please excuse my poor english if what I said seems aggressive...
CALI
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear what you are saying - that's the problem with 'internet chatting', you cannot hear a person's tone of voice or facial expression. However I think it is still a matter of opinion. What floats one person's boat may not float another's. Now I love the track 'Instant Weight Loss' which is one that I am sure will not 'float the boat' of many others. I don't know why I like this track so much - I haven't really analysed it. All I know is that I like the melody and I like the lyrics and that goes for all of my fav Sparks tracks (which are many after 30 years of adoration so no uneducated ears here!!). I just like listening to music and I certainly don't go down the road of the why's and wherefor's of why I do.

The same analogy may be applied to the Q awards yesterday. Many of the winners are ones that I would not have personally voted for but a lot of people did and that is their choice. Life would be very boring if we all liked the same thing me thinks :-)

It is a complicated business indeed!!
kev hook
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if I tried to analyse why I like certain things I'd end up disliking them. So I don't bother. I don't give a monkey's if my taste is different to anybody else's.

Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not being "seriously" stroppy in my replies...most people who know me,know I'm generally tongue in cheek with most of what I say...(mind you having said that..next week I'm on call-out..I WILL be seriously stroppy....lol)...so I suppose it proves the point raised....not seeing someone face to face ,its hard to read their intent...unless of course you know that person's normal style.....no point banging round in circles on the same old subject though....so I will say if I've upset anyone...even unintentionally...I unreservedly apologize!!(but cross me next week once I've had to deal with a few dopey out of hours calls....apologies my eye!!!....lol)
kev hook
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poll must have taken a lot of time and effort to set up Alex. It was fun to take part (although I discovered it a bit late). So credit where credit's due. This time next year lets hope its gonna be a track off the new album that gets the top vote. And maybe the second and third places too? Now theres food for thought...

MiniPop

Girl From Glastonbury
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew! Glad it wasn't me facing the wrath of a miffed gasman!!
And thanks for the warning Alex! My Dad worked for british gas, and his moods when he was on call-out were legendary!!
baldski
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! I never normally look in the polls, someone's been very busy! Anyway I've voted for The Calm Before The Storm because it is a fantastic song.
Golden Wanderer
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been off the Forum for a bit - due to a mixture of busy at work, my own PC crashing in a major way, and spending far too much time drinking Banks's Bitter - so just catching up on whats on here.

Of the three left, I'd go for Equator - mainly cos when it came out, I was the only person I know who didn't find it irritating (especially the ending!), same can be said for Nothing Is Sacred and Beaver O Lindy.

BTW what happened to Slowboat, Girl from Germany, and How Are You getting Home?
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there it is EQUATOR... the best ever Sparks' song as voted for by "everyone" on these forums!
Girl From Glastonbury
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A worthy winner. So, though not everyone got round to voting, the poll played out nicely. Well done Alex.
Tj Sundown
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Incredible! Reply with quote

Equator?

Great to see Moon Over Kentucky at number 3.

...And Calm Before The Storm is definately the best track on the worst ever Sparks album.

Equator?

Joy
Joy
Boy from New X
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only just joined the forum (I have 'met' some of you in the chat room before) and so didn't vote in this poll. However I have to say how staggered I am that Equator got the nod. This might be stating the bleeding obvious but Equator is not even the best track on KMH, in fact I'd go so far as to say it's the worst track on that album. When KMH came out I would lift the stylus after In my Family. Anyhow, time can do strange things so I got the record out last night and played the last track and it's just as bad as I remembered (nice guitar at the start though).
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I whittled down the results...no-one was more surprised than myself at the finalists...but come on Equator isn't that bad...even to the most jaded of ears...Well I think it is a brilliant little song,regardless.That aside I have promised(after several PMs) I'll re-run the poll again next year....this time we'll have HYL to choose from too...so it'll be interesting to see who wins second time around!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Polls All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: