SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many years have you been listening to Sparks?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

So how many years
Up to 1 year now
6%
 6%  [ 8 ]
1-3 years
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
3-5 years
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
5-10 years
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
10-15 years
9%
 9%  [ 11 ]
15-20 years
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
20-25 years
5%
 5%  [ 7 ]
25-30 years
13%
 13%  [ 16 ]
30 years and beyond
50%
 50%  [ 61 ]
Total Votes : 120

Alan Liddell
Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought This Town as soon as I heard it on the radio (it was the strangest and best record I had ever heard). Loved the Top Of The Pops appearances, bought Kimono My House, joined the fan club and got Propaganda and the 1st two albums, Then my first ever gig with my pal Eric (who also posts on here) Sparks at Dundee Caird Hall (it was like Beatlemania) all in 1974, I was hooked.

I went to the Indiscreet tour at Edinburgh Odeon in 75 never thinking it woud be the last time I would see them for 20 years until the Gratuitous Sax tour. I lost track of them after Whomp That Sucker for a few years, It was Gratuitous Sax that reconvinced me they were still brilliant. Got right back into them and collected the albums I'd missed.

Flew down to London for Morrissey's Meltdown performance of Kimono My House & Li'l Beethoven, that was fantastic.

Bought the new album on 1st day of release and saw them for the 5th time at Glasgow Carling Academy, They are my favourite band again and I'm about to rejoin the fan club after 32 years. Funny old world MiniPop
Songbird
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 10 years I think... Seems like Sparks have always been there as long as I'm into music. :)
mr.pineapple

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First bought "Number 1 Song In Heaven" single in 1979, it was my first picture sleeve! Then bought "Beat The Clock". I was 12 at the time. My next purchase was, shamefully,15 years later with the "Gratuitious Sax" album. Since thenI haven't looked back and I have got Plagiarism, Balls, Lil Beethoven, Terminal Jive, Indiscreet and of course the fantastic Hello Young Lovers. I am currently trying to get the entire back catalogue even though one or two seem hard to get. Only seen them live once this year at The Sage. Unbelievable!
STEViE
Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

25-30 for me

This is the Number one song in heaven - that was when I became a fan

although I can vaguely remember this town on top of the pops in 74
parus
Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: 30 years of Sparks ... interrupted. Reply with quote

I was not a great radio listener in the mid-70s, but I had friends at school who brought Kimono and Propaganda to a school party in fifth grade (which would be 1975). Soon both albums and Indiscreet were on heavy rotation in my home.

After that - nothing. Big Beat wasn't marketed much and I never noticed it arrive. A few years went, many record stores still had the "three great British albums", but no new additions. I was under the impression that Sparks were gone for good. In the early 80s, a friend tried to convince me that they had made another album, one where they wore boxing gloves on the cover and played hard rock. Yeah, right.

Then I found "Music that you can dance to" at a record sale. Soon after, i found "Pulling Rabbits" at a similar sale. These were clearly over-stock from American record companies sold for the sole purpose of being dumped at clearance sales. Record contracts usually have a clause about the company's permission to sell over-stock as "cut corners", with no royalty to the artists. Although I felt bad about RnR not getting paid (and angry at their poor distribution in Sweden), I was happy I had found my idols alive and recording. When I found the Interior Design CD at another record sale, it prompted me to go buy a CD player.

Then came "Gratuitous Sax" and everything changed. Suddenly Sparks were everywhere, and easily obtainable in Swedish record stores. I gleefully bought the CD re-issues of all the albums I had missed (and the ones I hadn't), and by the time Plagiarism came out, I had the entire back catalogue on CD (except "Introducing", of course - and that elusive "National Crime Awareness Week" ep).

So, have I really listened to Sparks for more than 30 years even though I missed the late 70s and early-to-mid 80s? Indeed I have. I stuck with the three albums I had. As a body of musical work, they are quite a universe in themselves. When I got my first "music computer", an 8 bit Yamaha CX5M with integrated 8 voice FM synth, I immediately set out to record a cover of "Mother Earth" (only to be reminded that Russel Mael is a great singer and I am not).

One of the joys of the Internet is that one need never lose track of a band just because it has disappeared off the local charts.
/MSj
Annika
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparksswede wrote:
Itīs very soon 30 years for me (in April) off and on (mostly on).
The first Sparkssong I heard (as I know) was "Donīt Leave Me Alone With Her" on swedish radio in 1976,still one of my absolute favorite song.

When I saw Sparks in picture for my first time doing "Get In The Swing" on swedish TV xmas eve 1976 (moving picture,I havenīt seen any pictures of Sparks,I think, before that)I was hooked on Sparks after that.

OK I heard a few Sparkssongs on radio between april and xmaseve 1976 that I really liked but from xmaseve 1976 I was really hooked on sparks.

Hey Swede, since i am a Swede myself and growing up listening to Sparks in the 70's ( I was young!!!!) I used to sit at the library with head phones and listen to them and i have been hooked ever since.
"Ar dom inte helt otroliga??" OK enough with the Swedish, just said the are truly amazing.
I just saw them live at the Avalon in LA and it really was a dream come true, hope to see them again.
LadyGodiva
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since I'm born, 18 years
MrNormall
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only since 1994, but I've bought all the albums and some singles since then.
Loreley
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7-8 years.

I was 10 years old, and I read my father's music magazines.

I didn't understand much, since I'd only been learning english for a year, but I saw a picture of Sparks and I thought Ron looked cute.

The next year I heard them on the radio, found out that they were the guys from the picture, and I was a fan.
fossilise_apostle
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too many geezers! TOO MANY GEEZERS.
Missy en ski
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FA, were you born angry or has life just treated you badly? The tolerance towards the other people is one form of intelligence.
E-Clect-Eddy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, i think he's just praying for a party

www.last.fm/user/E-Clect-Eddy
Missy en ski
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or LOVE! FA, open the doors of your soul to Love and you will see the sunshine!!
E-Clect-Eddy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, he can get under the table with her

www.last.fm/user/E-Clect-Eddy
fossilise_apostle
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

may God have mercy on us all.
Martin Jordan
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

33 years, now that makes me old, will see them live for the first time this year in Cambridge
bigbaz
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

32 years now,I first bought the "Kimono my house" album after hearing "Amatuer hour"on top of the pops.Just thought "This town ai'nt big enough for the both us"was a bit too weird for me at first.
Lyekka
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since 1982 - when I was two! I quickly became obsessed with my dad's copy of Kimono My House. So basically all my life!!!!!
Wraith
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 9 years old when This Town came out and I was totally hooked on Sparks. There are certain things which leave a mark on your life.......Ron and Russell did back then and they've been doing it ever since!
Jaws
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under a year, Wraith introduced me to the dvd he had of sparks a while ago and i've loved them ever since :D.I feel like I've been born since 1970s now but I am only 14 lol!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Polls All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: