SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Books, what are you reading now?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miss sparks
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:17 pm    Post subject: Books, what are you reading now? Reply with quote

Just finish reading Stunt Rocker, the many adventures of Andy Ellison. Who was the lead singer with Johns Children, Jet and Radio Stars. Book starts from his childhood, his time with various bands up to 2020. Very interesting read, would recommend.
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, my other obsession!
Terry Pratchett - Guards Guards.
If there were no other books, I would happily read and re-read Terry’a Discworld books until I die.
Apparently, other authors are available.
J. Prufrock
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently finished This Is What It Sounds Like: What the Music You Love Says About You, and found it an interesting exploration of various aspects of music, how one develops preferences in music and how preferred sorts of music can be found across various genres - though without mention of a certain band's MiniPop example of making enjoyable music with great variety.

... I miss Sir Terry too, highersynth.
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished the 3rd book in The Thursday Murder Club series...The Bullet That Missed by Richard Osman. Comfy cosy murder solving with plot twists and nothing graphic...no wonder Spielberg wants to film this but then again remember what he did to Doctor Who.....
Prior to that I had read(re-read) Joseph Knight by James Robertson based on the true story of a slave who was brought back to Scotland by his "owner" and how he won his freedom.
Currently I am ploughing my way through I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes...ploughing being the operative word...started off what seemed like a gruesome murder mystery...but is diverging into so many back stories, the murder investigation, is a dim and distant memory...plus the protagonist is a bit full of himself and keeps banging on about how great he is....the only thriller you need to read this year according to The Guardian....I'll be hard pressed to finish it tbh
waterloosunset
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver, winner of the Pulitzer Prize for literature this year. It is a recasting of David Copperfield, but instead of being set in mid 19th century England, it's set in the poverty and drug addiction of Appalachia. The narrator is a young boy whose life is hellish, but it is told by the protagonist in such a way that you just want to keep on reading. Barbara Kingsolver is one of the best American authors of the past 4 decades.
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J. Prufrock wrote:
I recently finished This Is What It Sounds Like: What the Music You Love Says About You, and found it an interesting exploration of various aspects of music, how one develops preferences in music and how preferred sorts of music can be found across various genres - though without mention of a certain band's MiniPop example of making enjoyable music with great variety.

... I miss Sir Terry too, highersynth.

Thanks for that recommendation - just ordered it.
Only just spotted your PS! I wish he were here and well, to keep writing. (Bit selfish of me...!)
J. Prufrock
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.S. Villoso's fantasy books aren't funny like Pratchett's were, but I just finished The Dragon of Jin-Sayeng (last in a trilogy starting with The Wolf of Oren-Yaro.) Fantasy fans will find many of the common elements, but not in the usual ways; these aren't short reads but I found the trilogy satisfying.
Kermit!
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading 'Let's make lots of money' by Tom Watkins who was the manager for various '80s bands. Pet shop boys, Bros, E17 etc. It's a great tell all bitch about so many artists of the time. I first met Tom when he was involved in doing the artwork for the Frankie goes to Hollywood cover of the 'Relax' 12" which was all very controversial. He sadly died a few years ago but this is an easy fun read. We always got on well but if you got on the wrong side of Tom he could be a total bitch & then watch out.....he was never backwards at coming forward with his opinions & this book is full of loads of them.

The Future! The Future!
Spyke
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The British Library has published several collections of short stories in their 'Tales of the Weird' strand. The stories tend to be of the supernatural / spooky type from the 19th and early 20th centuries and each collection is themed - I'm currently reading their 'Cornish Horrors' book. Good stuff for a dark evening!
highersynth
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently finished "Bodies - Life and Death in Music" by Ian Winwood.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bodies-Death-Music-Ian-Winwood/dp/0571364187

It wasn't always an easy read - some very stark stuff in there - but on the whole I enjoy his music-journo style, and found a lot of the content extremely eye-opening, as to how the music industry actually works.
jessie6413
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading Kathy Reichs' latest "The Bone Hacker" and it's not grabbing me. I'm more than a third of the way through. and after all these years of preordering her books, I think in the future I'll be waiting to see how they're rated before buying. If you don't know her, she is/was one of the few certified forensic anthropologists in the world for most of her career splitting time between teaching in NC and working in Montreal in the coroner's department. Her protagonist is based on herself.
And no, after trying the show Bones a couple times and never making it past about 10 minutes, I can't compare it favorably to the books. Not even the last few that have seemed stale.
J. Prufrock
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was feeling some middle-aged angst (not the kind in one's pants) so picked up Congratulations, The Best Is Over! (R. Eric Thomas, 2023.) I found Thomas' stories about his own life events generally relatable and funny in that 'you gotta laugh to keep yourself from crying and/or cursing' sort of way, with much of it very much of this time -
Quote:
I loved life. I could be happy here. The new story for me was all just beginning.
The rest of this wonderful life awaited just past the holiday, in the glorious new year, 2020!

(I really hope 2024 turns out better for us all than 2020 did.)
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOST DUNDEE... Dundee's Lost Architectural Heritage
This covers the building and demolition of once iconic buildings in Dundee, there were some still there in my early youth. So it's a bit of a niche read.
Crabby
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, l've just finished reading Spaceman of Bohemia... Jaroslav Kalfar..
I'm not sure what l was expecting having read a bit about the film and seeing that it won the Arthur C. Clarke award for science fiction...... Well, there is a spaceman and an alien and quite a bit of outer space... But as some group once said, there is all that and more!
Much much more, l'd love to know how it transferred to the big screen and how the very detailed back story was treated.

I would definitely recommend it, and l think l feel the need to read his most recent book.
(much as l'd like to see the film, mostly out of curiosity l have a bit of arachnophobia so it might be a tough watch.... Unless the spider's called Boris)
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crabby wrote:
So, l've just finished reading Spaceman of Bohemia... Jaroslav Kalfar..
I'm not sure what l was expecting having read a bit about the film and seeing that it won the Arthur C. Clarke award for science fiction...... Well, there is a spaceman and an alien and quite a bit of outer space... But as some group once said, there is all that and more!
Much much more, l'd love to know how it transferred to the big screen and how the very detailed back story was treated.

I would definitely recommend it, and l think l feel the need to read his most recent book.
(much as l'd like to see the film, mostly out of curiosity l have a bit of arachnophobia so it might be a tough watch.... Unless the spider's called Boris)

I might just look this book out now.
Crabby
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do hope you enjoy it, if you don't l shall hang my head in shame......(l'd be interested to know what you think about the 'hero' of the piece) . I'm off back to my film noir book now! Sunset Boulevard here l come.....
Buckeye Randy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crabby wrote:
I'm off back to my film noir book now! Sunset Boulevard here l come.....

I received "The Rough Guide To Film Noir" for Christmas a couple years ago. It's a great guide to over 50 movies plus a quick reference to the stars of the best genre ever.
Crabby
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one l have was also a present! It's the Taschen Film Noir, full of great photographs and really comprehensive, you wouldn't read it in bed though, if it fell on your head it'd kill you.........
deadcalm
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up a copy of "The Armageddon Rag" in Sainsbury's today . George RR Martin before his GOT thing got started. Something about the 60s Rock scene as the plot.
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Death In The Parish by the reverend Richard Cole ( formerly of The Communards game).
This is the second book in his "crime solving vicar" series.
I missed the first one but may look it out and read it in retrospect.
It's quite cosy in that Father Brown or Midsommer Murders way. Or as cosy as grisly death in England's green and pleasant can be. I can see this being made into a TV series, all in all a well written jolly who-dun-it.
I'd say if you like your murder mysteries not too serious, but still not too frothy, this is one for you to delve into with a mug of tea and a couple of Tunnocks Caramel Wafers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Stuff and Nonsense All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: