SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BBC BANS DICK AROUND
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leanne
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That quote was from another thread, and so he couldn't have been replying to it on this thread. His post on THIS thread is the one I was dealing with.
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies...I was multi-tasking.
parus
Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leanne wrote:
Two pages mostly condemning the BBC for banning a song, when no such thing happened. BBC LDN is only one of 40 regional radio stations in the UK, and this decision, which seems to have come from bad prep by the producer, was a local issue. As far as I am aware, there is no longer a mechanism within the BBC to ban ANYTHING on a national level, and such decisions are made my individual producers. I had already heard this song on national BBC radio and television, and far from being squares, we find this song title to be a bit of fun. Neither are we likely to feel 'traumatised' by the sight of a woman's breast at a football match.

It's all about semantics. "The Beeb" didn't actually ban it, no, but the local morning show in question wouldn't play the single they were there to plug, then lied about it in their rebuttal, saying that they had (they played a six month old single instead, not the other A side they claim to have played). This is bad form and reflects badly on the BBC as a whole. What kind of company fosters a climate where producers are too scared to make sensible decisions?

I find it interesting that you feel the need to lecture the other participants on this forum about what things are really like in the UK. If you check member profiles of the people you are arguing with, you will find that most of them are as British as you are (I'm not, but I have worked briefly in Swedish Television and I have met a few BBC employees over the years).

Mr Jones' comment about Sparks buying the BBC was a reference to their single "Now that I Own the BBC" taken off "Gratuitous Sax and Senseless Violins". It is called reference humour and is a common social device for knitting a group tighter together whilst excluding others, so you may have been right in perceiving it as impolite; obviously we got it and you didn't - so it worked.

As a media student you should appreciate this piece of advice: never ever skimp on research! It's the best advice you will ever get. If you had done your homework, you would have gone to the press releases and checked what had been written on the matter first before rushing headlong into discussing a moot point. If you had checked the Sparks discography you would have spotted the song title reference and realised it was intended to be humorous. Research is tedious and sometimes fruitless, but the alternative is always embarrassing. No-one knows this better than a certain morning show producer who couldn't be arsed (oh - dare I use that word?) to check the lyrics of a song he received more than a week before going on air.
/p
Leanne
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did research it, and I read the comments about Brits being 'squares'. I made the same points as you about the producer on LDN Breakfast. However, the decision he made reflects on HIM, and HIM alone. Since I have heard Dick Around on the BBC radio and television, and ONLY the BBC, then the claim that this song was banned by the BBC would appear to be wrong. So who should YOU be 'lecturing' about doing their research?

BTW, I have also worked for SVT and RAI.
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leanne wrote:
See,hiding your light under a bushel...you are a hot-shot.
I hope you see the useage of quotes from other threads/topics as thorough research...and recommend me to the beeb(or anybodylooking for such)as a researcher...I am hard working and my therapist says I will be allowed to work with pointed objects any day now!
Leanne
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when I reply to a post on a thread, it is THAT post I am replying to, not some other posts on another thread. If we all had to trawl through every post, to see if someone had said something else relating to the point they are making in the post we are replying to, then no one would ever post anything. When replying to a post, I will respond ONLY to that post, and my points will deal ONLY with the points that person is making in that post.
fossilise_apostle
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he wasn't saying you should reply to them but instead, use them for research. Research IS trawling through stuff, if you are a student you should know that. I seem to have spent a large part of my life trawling through long forgotten books of lore, and if you can't read a few posts on a website, may god have mercy on us all.

thank you, and good night.
Leanne
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replied to the post at the top of this thread. That is ALL I need to reply to. My points were valid, accurate and pertaining to that post. No one has said that my points were innaccurate, so what is your point?

I can take all the patronising comments you might like to throw at me. I'm used to dealing with older people. Few of you are helping to promote Sparks to people of my age. There's even a thread suggesting that younger people should be banned from here. No doubt that will be excused as humour.
kimonomyhause
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course it's not a joke.
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry..it's all my fault...I didn't realise that by remembering something someone said on a different thread would bear no relation to what they said to another one they posted on...In which case everyone will have to go over every thread to restate their points of view....or else,for example... the fact I said I was scottish on another topic means that I'm no longer of that ilk on this one...oh god where do I start...and where does it end?
parus
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leanne wrote:
I did research it, and I read the comments about Brits being 'squares'. I made the same points as you about the producer on LDN Breakfast. However, the decision he made reflects on HIM, and HIM alone. Since I have heard Dick Around on the BBC radio and television, and ONLY the BBC, then the claim that this song was banned by the BBC would appear to be wrong.

"Dick Around banned by the BBC" is a "tabloid truthoid", a simplified version of the truth that is still true in a specific sense. Tabloids do this all the time. "Serious" newspapers often do, too (unfortunately). They don't say "An employee of a small branch of company X says he doesn't think his company should promote Y" - at least not in the confines of the headline - they say something like "X bans Y" instead. Sparks management did the same in their press release. Whilst not true in every possible understanding of the words, it is still "true" in that "Dick Around was banned from a single airing by a representative of the BBC". It really did happen, and there is no disputing that. The official rebuttal in which it is claimed that the flip side ("Waterproof") was played instead, when in fact it wasn't, makes it worse. That should reflect on the BBC if nothing else does!

The decision made by a company's officials in the line of duty always reflects on the company. I can't understand how you can seriously claim otherwise. Do you think every decision attributed to companies in the popular press was clubbed at a board meeting?

Leanne wrote:
So who should YOU be 'lecturing' about doing their research?

You, and unfortunately you still don't get it. Besides, are you throwing capital letters at me? That would be fine if you hadn't previously pointed out how rude that is. Ergo, I know you are being intentionally impolite. Don't be, it isn't nice.

Besides, Brits aren't squares, they're increasingly ovoid. If you spend time outside the Anglophone cultures, you will eventually see the dualism of the British self image - prudish and at the same time obsessed with s-e-x. If you think about it, it is impossible to be a successful prude unless you think about sex all of the time. What the producer was really afraid of was that someone else might spot a sexual connotation he may have missed.

Leanne wrote:

Now that's cool. Any projects we might have heard about? Did you spot any marked differences between the company cultures?
/p

PS. My favourite example of creative use of truthoids is the "rages against" headline. It works like this:
• Journalist spots truthoid that, if presented the right way will probably irritate famous person Z.
• Journalist calls Z and informs him of truthoid, then asks his opinion.
• Z displays moderate displeasure.
• Next day's headline: "Z rages against ... whatever".
Add stock photograph of Z looking angry or tired and you've sold another 100 000 copies. If Z takes himself too seriously and has little media handling experience (e.g. a reality show participant), chuck the stock photo and send a photographer over with suitable props and you're looking at a new circulation record - and you haven't even had to lie to anyone.
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gtreat track though hey Leanne.
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Great.
Leanne
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Fluctuations at a minimum Reply with quote

parus wrote:
it is still "true" in that "Dick Around was banned from a single airing by a representative of the BBC". It really did happen, and there is no disputing that.
No it wasn't. One person chose not to play the song on that occasion. That isn't the BBC banning the song. It is one person using his discretion. Maybe on another BBC station, a producer once chose not to play White Christmas by Bing Crosby. That wouldn't mean the BBC had banned it.

My capital words are to stress the words I would emphasise if I was talking to you in person. Very much as you write some words in bold. It is not rude, and is quite different from someone writing an entire post in bold, presumably to indicate anger.

You are right that Brits are not all squares, just as not all Swedes are overly serious all the time. We are not all the same, but the article I read made reference to Brits being squares, as though we are all defined by the actions of one radio producer in London.
Sparksswede
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! but the ONE person that didnīt play "Dick Around" on that show did it BECAUSE OF THE TITLE that he thought was inappropriate (Iīm not sure correct spelling?).That was atleast a wrong decision by him (if not the whole BBC so to speak).Atleast HE could had listen to the lyrics and then HE would have found out it was no reason to not play it.
Afterall the show was an interview with Sparks and about that specific song (their new single) so you canīt in any way compare that to someone in another show that choose to not play "White Christmas".Thatīs something completely different (itīs not that this is all about).

Also lying to say that he played another song from that single ("Waterproof") when in fact he played "perfume" that was many months old then.
Leanne
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFS. Have we not already been through this? It's ONE producer who made the decision. YES, he should have done his homework, I have never denied that, but it is one producer out of thousands. It was HIS decision, not the BBC's. It was ALWAYS going to be his decision, and NEVER the BBC's to make. The BBC have NOT banned this song. This is getting tiresome.
Sparksswede
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! but anyway you did wrong to compare it with a ONE producer that choose to not play "White Christmas" because the ONE producer that didnīt play "Dick Around" did that because of THE TITLE that HE thought was inappropriate not because of that he just didnīt want to play it.
So thatīs a COMPLETELY different case.
Iīm totally with you in that itīs not THE BBCīS fault. Itīs ONE producers fault.
Iīm not sure whoīs fault it was to say "waterproof" was played instead of "Dick Around" (from the same single) when infact "Perfume" (a then many months old single) was played.OK Iīm rather sure itīs not the whole BBC`S fault.
loz
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leanne wrote:
FFS. Have we not already been through this? It's ONE producer who made the decision. YES, he should have done his homework, I have never denied that, but it is one producer out of thousands. It was HIS decision, not the BBC's. It was ALWAYS going to be his decision, and NEVER the BBC's to make. The BBC have NOT banned this song. This is getting tiresome.

YES! It is getting tiresome. Please lighten up.
If it means anything to you, I personally think that the BBC is the world's greatest broadcaster. I adhere to their standards. "Dick Around" was excluded from a minor show, because, as you said, the team had not done research. It is not a life changing issue.
Please! Drop it everyone!
fossilise_apostle
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loz wrote:

Please lighten up.

HAHAHAHAHA
loz
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fossilise_apostle wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA

This is a Sparks forum. Nothing to do with Norwegian 80s bands.
There! I lightened up. ;-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Official Announcements All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: