SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...13)Pulling Rabbits Out Of A Hat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldgraves
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrible audio feed BUT it sounds like this might be one of the best concerts. yet. Lots of energy and everyone seems into it. I thought I liked "Sparks In Outer Space more (the album) but I guess I was wrong...
RODDON
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think there's any chance CD Pulse might show it tomorrow as it's a rest night?? We can only hope...............
sparksfanlm
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame the live stream was so poor tonight, I only know a couple of songs from "Pulling Rabbits Out Of A Hat" so was really looking forward to hearing the rest but, oh well, these things happen. Russell sounded like a robot and I kept getting distracted by the folk talking on the chat room, lol. Strange they did "National Crime Awareness Week" tonight, thought they would save that for the GSASV show. At least I'll be at that show in person and Plagiarism, my eyes hurt from staring at a computer screen so much, lol. Sorry for sounding so ungrateful, I really appreciate the guys behind the scenes getting the live stream put up for those of us who can't make most concerts or any at all. Ron Playing
jidlomonster
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was an interesting listening experience - a version of Rabbits slightly speeded up and sung by a Dalek underwater. But I am not complaining. Someone has obviously worked his or her socks off to get this stream up and running in time and deserves a big THANK YOU!

I don't know what others felt about the stream but, sound aside, this was an improvement for me. On the whole the visual was a lot more continuous than it has been up till now, and on the few occasions where it dropped out there was a Sparks video to watch.

Russell seemed in fine form tonight and I hope this performance reminds people what a delightful album it is.

I couldn't catch what Russell said at the end, but it seemed to be about appearances on either TV or radio - if anyone can tell us what's happening it would be great.
rainbow
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, at least we could see (better) and hear, it was an interesting underwater concert! I am very grateful to the people that made this possible, so we did not have to miss the whole concert. Thank you!
There was a lot of energy going on, seemed to be another great gig.
And, there is a day in between to fix the thing...
Lady Is Lingering
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jidlomonster wrote:
a version of Rabbits slightly speeded up and sung by a Dalek underwater.

Exactly! But better than nothing of course. It did seem like a really good set tonight from what I could make out! It froze a little less than cd pulse but for me BOTH sound quality and picture quality were MUCH diminished... here's hoping cd pulse is up and running next time.

Ron was in a T-shirt. Very 80s. Nice gift thrown up on stage at the end too. What was Ron doing on the ground at the end? Testing it for breaking dancing quality?
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a nightmare! The gig was half over before I found the other place and got sound and pictures working. Haven't heard sound like that since someone dropped a glass of orange juice in my tape recorder back in 1974. I love NCAW, gutted I could barely hear it.

Did Ron fall over? What did they say? Couldn't make out a word.
E-Clect-Eddy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked like Russell 'gunned down' Ron just before NCAW was performed.

www.last.fm/user/E-Clect-Eddy
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady Is Lingering wrote:
If all the people that are enjoying 21x21 by live stream miss this one it will no doubt go down as the 'legendary' great gig we all missed and the 150 or so people there tonight will suddenly go down in history as 2,000 people who will all have claimed to be there. All of whom will delight in telling the rest of us poor sods how great it was.

I'll get me coat...
Actually, no need as I had to have it with me all evening as the cloakroom was closed because there weren't enough punters through the door...
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back home.

Tonight was truly superb, even though it was the smallest crowd so far - just over 100 according to the venue... Nevertheless, I'm sure we made up for it in volume.

PROOAH is one of those "special" albums for me, as I was in my early 20s and living in France when it came out. Just hearing any of the songs from it transports me straight back to the outskirts of Paris...

Anyway, the slimmed down band really nailed the songs tonight. Highlight for me was With All My Might - just wonderful! Great to hear National Crime Awareness Week too!

Ho hum, so a night off and then MTYCDT and ID next week. Must admit that those are the two shows that I'm looking forward to least, but is there any way that I won't be there...? You must be joking!
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DustCoveredPhone wrote:
Did Ron fall over?

No.
powpowpow
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh wow, what a gig
there were loads of problems with the streaming, but republic were running around before the show trying to get it all sorted out, and from what i can understand, there was at least some kind of av feed going out over the internet for some of the gig at least, so hats off to them for sorting it out at such short notice.

the sound was spot on, no complaints at all, and as usual, a smaller crowd = ever-huger enthusiasm. danced nonstop throughout, and i don't think i was the only one. so many people have come down with some cold/cough combination, but people are still going for it. a big get well soon to everybody.

a song that sings itself, wow. undisputed highlight. ron wore his white t-shirt, as per the album cover. sparks in the dark was incredible, enormous party atmosphere, and russell obviously enjoying just dancing around and not having to sing.. he introduced ron as 'the guy whose lyrics are a bit weak, but whose instrumentals really rock!' or something to that effect.

i think ron was on the ground at the end because he accidentally played the 'psycho' chords from NCAW before the introduced the song, thus giving the game away about the secret obscure track. sat on the floor out of mock-embarrassment. russell started saying he was going to start pulling up audience members to introduce the band at the end of shows because he's so bored of it now..

the thing about the tv appearances was them saying they'd be filming the culture show tomorrow, and trying to work out what day it was going to be on tv. tuesday and friday i think.

oh wow. each and every gig is turning into such a huge party, there's so much love between everyone. i think the regulars all know each other by now, and it's such a lovey dovey happy atmosphere at every show, coughs and sneezes and hugs and dancing, lovely lovely stuff. what a happy month!
Polish Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tremendous gig..absolutely spellbinding. From the opening title track to a wonderful Sparks in the Dark to climax a total joy. Once again too many highlights but for me I think A Song That Sings Itslelf just too it. A great version and if as Russell said they play it again at Shepherds Bush then I for one will be happy.

For those on the streaming, Ron went down on his knees at the start of the encore because he let slip it would be NCAW by playing his synth (to much amusement from all) while Russell said they are recording 2 songs for the Culture Show (to be shown on Tuesday and repeated on Friday - may be available through BBCi player?)
lilywearsmoschino
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fantastic show, got to be in my Top 3 so far without a doubt!!! I was still buzzing at 3am, unbelievable. From the very first song to the very last, so much energy. The band rocked, Ron looked very fetching in his white tee-shirt, and Russell's voice was as strong as ever considering it was the 13th show. NCAW great choice for an encore, first time I've seen it live.

The after-show sing along in the pub afterwards was a blast too - everybody at the show - you should have been there, what a night!!!

T.N.K.
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a fantastic night, the band seemed to be having a good time as well as Russell and Ron. Shows what excellent songs are on these (lesser known by some, not us!) albums. Progress, Might and Song were top-drawer, 100% awesome, and my favourites last night.

I love you Sparks.
Small
BigManRestless
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably my 20th favourite Sparks album, but that gig was stupendous. That was the first one that has made me reassess the album. I was feeling the strain a bit and was actually debating whether or not to give this one a miss, but I’m so glad I didn’t. It was about 100 times better than the record. I know it is fan heresy but I still can’t get into either With All My Might or A Song That Sings Itself but the rest was top notch. And what energy the band had, such a shame there were so few people there.

Highlights: Pulling Rabbits Out Of A Hat, Love Scenes, Sparks In The Dark / Everybody Move, Sparks In The Dark (Part 2) (surprisingly!) and National Crime Awareness Week.

And my word – good sound for two gigs in a row!
Kermit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH MY GOD! What a night! I was so looking forward to this one. "Pulling Rabbits Out Of A Hat" for me has always been such a special Sparks album. It truly is the one Sparks album that is full of so much FUN! I don't know where Ron & Russ were at the time of recording this one but for me it's got a real fairground feel to it. Did they get free passes to Disney that year after the whole "Minnie Mouse" affair? This album is full of tunes that perfectly match the essence of all the fun of the fair. Merry-go-rounds and rollercoasters, candy floss 'n all that! If they beamed this one over Disneyworld there would be smiling faces for sure! Shame todays gig was all happening on the day Universal Studios was going down in flames over in LA but tonight you could surley feel the heat and anticipation in the Carling Academy Islington.
I don't think it ever got an official UK release, I managed to get an import copy when it came out but it's one of those if ever you're down put it on and your spirits will be raised way up high within minutes. So obviously it not being a well known album here the crowds were gonna be low. Not a brilliant turnout but hell it didn't matter. Everyone here was gonna enjoy the party and party they did! Ron in his white T-Shirt, no pie in the eye tonight Mr, and Russell in his shiny silver suit were looking great, eager beavers in a party mood ready to rock and pop with all of their might!!
So from the opening stormer of the title track we knew we were in for fun, fun, fun!! It almost felt like we had sensurround going on in the N1 tonight and a rollocking tight version of "Pulling Rabbits" got all the applause, applause, applause that it so duly deserves! It's a real shame to read that the live stream wasn't going out too good. Let's hope they got a decent recording of the show though for future prosperity.
"Love Scenes" next and again another great merry-go-round affair! You wanna make someone fall in love with you?... put this on and take them to the fair and your wish will be granted.
Then things get really cranked up for the bopping "Pretending To Be Drunk". With it's "Wooh woohs" retorts it's such a party song. Smiling faces abound and the sheer joy of fun and special times really come alive to this one. Any parents wanting to turn their children in to Sparks fans put this one on and they'll be hooked.
My favourite on the album "Progress" next. The way Russell yells "I know it's progress" is one of his best moments on any Sparks toon going. Love it!!
"With All My Might" had the crowd that knew it swaying away and arms in the air and singing back. Fantastic! Then things get cranked up again for "Everybody Move". Party, Party, Party! What an uplifting toon. If you kept still to this one then there must surley be something going wrong in your life and get down to your doctor quick for some vitamins!
But what an unexpected hightlight we got with "A Song That Sings Itself". Everyone was really in that fairground feel by now I was waiting for that bit in Mary Poppins where the horses break free from the merry-go-round to occurr! Such joy in a song. Marvellous!!
"Sisters" is another great sing-a-long-a-marathon. Jolliness in a bottle! "Kiss Me Quick" slows it down a bit, everyone needs a rest, jeez!
Hold on though cos we have to get back on that merry-go-round for the wonderful instrumental "Sparks In The Dark". I was half expecting the lights to go out and have the place in darkness for this one. I can't imagine Sparks in the dark but tonight we got a full technicolour version of a lost album that surley must rate as one of Sparks finest.
But what a treat we were in for with the encore. Ron gave it away that we were getting "National Crime Awareness Week" by playing too soon thus falling to the floor and thumping the ground for giving it away. I thought we were gonna get this one on "Gratuitous Sax" so to get it tonight was a real extra added bonus. Another lost Sparks classic that should have been a hit. Russell stabbing Ron with his microphone like a demented Tony Perkins was just priceless. I love this track. The fairground feel again of it all does so perfectly match "Pulling Rabbits". The team up with Fini-Tribe I thought at the time worked extremely well. I love their own "Das Testimony", a scorcher of a toon back in the acid house days of '88. Was it just a one off does anyone know?
For those that thought it wouldn't be a cracker and didn't get tickets, you missed out on one hell of a party. I'm glad I was there to have such a wonderful night. Thank you again so much Sparks for making me a very happy guy.
But the fun wasn't over. Over to the Eddie for after drinks and it being a quiet Sunday night in the Eddie they allowed us to put on some Sparks tunes that are usually reserved for pre gig meets upstairs. Well....I've never seen anything like it. Ron & Russ, if you had ever wanted to see what joy your music creates in people then you should have come over to the Eddie tonight because it was truly magical. The staff and regulars just looked on with open mouths as Sparks fans danced and sang to every word of their favourite toons. What a Sparks party! It's a shame the band were resting tonight for tonights Culture Show recording cos they would surely be a-gog with tonights antics. A pub full of Sparks fans singing and dancing and having the time of their lives will be one of those happiest memories that I will treasure forever and I thank each and every one of you that were there for making this night a truly memorable night of fun, love and friendship. (You know who you all are!!!). Keith, we will so miss you special man. Your last night before you go back to LA. What a high to be going back on though? Overwhelmed and tears goodbye are such a joy to see as we see such happiness in people that Sparks music creates. "I Like Girls" got changed to "I Like Boys" & "Ladies" got changed to "Laddies" but what a rocking chorus to "Goofing Off"! The Eddies roof was surely lifted tonight and apologies to the neighbours but we'll make Sparks fans of you yet! We closed to a pub full of fans singing "Equator" on a Sunday night as if Russell was singing for us all up on the bar. Photos outside could have gone on all night but it's time to go home...and quietly please!!!
So looking forward to "Music That You Can Dance To" on Tuesday. Some great tunes on that one and another album that is so going to be transported by playing live. See you all there! Lovely times.....
themightybishop
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey bigman. you and me both.
sat in the kitchen. wife asks if i'm going, to which i reply "no".
she asks why. i tell her there is nothing about the album i like.
she tells me i'd regret it if i didn't keep going and get to every show.
so i go, wondering if she's having a secret liaison from 8-11 each night!

i arrive at 9. the show was absolutely superb. some of the songs sounded so good live, especially song that sings itself, all of my might and the instrumental at the end. i just couldn't believe how much my attitude was changed by the band that surely is the best sparks band ever.
the cherry on the top was national crime which i expected at gratuitous sax. it sounded very thin though compared to the rabbits tracks aided and abetted by the band.

so back at work today after half term. feeling a bit knackered. but so many more great nights to look forward to....
cactusboy
Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of my faves.. glad a few things are up on youtube. when might sparks do 'breaking out of prison'?? maybe at final night encore
Andy Whelan
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe you guys were seriously going to miss a show - there's nothing that would stop me making all of them!

I thought the atmosphere was fantastic for this show, and the enthusiasm both of the band and the audience more than made up for the lack of numbers. Highlights for me were the title track and Kiss Me Quick, which I've always particularly loved - we didn't get the "jungle fever" drums though...

And I thought National Crime Awareness Week would come later too, but it was great to hear it all the same. As it happens I picked up the UK 12" of this on Saturday, not that the version on that sounds anything like the version they played live.

The sound was excellent for the second night in a row, with both of Ron's keyboards coming over loud and clear. Perhaps the technical guys have got this sorted at last!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: