SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...9)Terminal Jive
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie Bucket
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll shamefully admit that my expectations were low for tonight, this did after all have to follow my favourite album since I was 5 years old, but as the saying goes..."A pessimist is never disapointed" and I was certainly not disapointed by tonights performance. The new life breathed into the songs by the band was phenomenal and a great time seemed to be had by all. If ever the idea of a Plagiarism 2 is brought to the table tonight certainly offered a few contenders for consideration. Excellent work by almost all involved, the sound wasnt too bad from where I was but could've been better, Im afraid it might take something like the FOH guy and the monitor guy to switch places for a night for the band to really hear the extent of his capabilities but the vibe of the shows seem to make any glitches seem inconsequential, especially as my singing voice sounds a million times worse, the people around me are probably getting a really bad sound!! :)
Billy Stevens
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can i just say that I haven't got a problem with the album!( I like it, Iv'e got it!) But online ( and this cuts me out of any real criticism) they just didn't seem interested! I am sure it wasn't the same in the academy and maybe I am just bitter because I wasn't there! Roll on june 7th. When I shall make my return in vengeance! But again I must say they didn't look up for it at all tonight!
fatherjack
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello young lovers!
I am back after many months of soulsearching, particularly as I named my youngest boy Ron Russell and I was not happy about some of the responses.........
Nerenernernerner. He is the most handsome 4-year old you would ever want!
My lovely Wife bought me the golden ticket for Christmas, she has sacrificed going to see some of her favourite albums (No.1+Terminal Jive onwards) so that her hubby can be there for them all (babysitters cost a LOT!).

NOW!
21 nights..... I have been to all of them (I live the other side of London but what is the point in moaning when...).
I have met 3 people from the US (one was his first time outside there HELLO PHILADELPHIA).
2 from Norway,
4 from France
2 from Scotland
2 from Luton (UK) in a pub elsewhere that night.
Ian Hampton. (A gentleman)
Joe Elliott (Def Leppard). A fan of Kimono & Propaganda.

I saw Jonathan Ross but he was sharklike getting to & from the bar..but at least he did turn up after saying he would do so.

But thus far, my total and complete admiration goes to the guy from Japan.....He is here with his golden ticket as I am but he has come all the way over here to watch all 21!

All together now.

WE ARE NOT WORTHY!
WE ARE NOT WORTHY!
etc.
etc.

Regardless of what the london tube & buses have thrown at me, I felt so humbled.....

(Will find out his name one day, have spoken twice to him-his english is on par with my japanese..).

1.Sparks/Halfnelson. Sooooo good.(High point-Simple Ballet).

2.Woofer.Russell's voice was coming into show (I was worried that it would go.....)(High point- Le Louvre).

3.Kimono.Very,very packed.Not good if you are 5'2" (short in metric) but tearful hearing Equator.(High point-see previous comment).

4.Propaganda. If the full force of hearing this album live came out on your PC then the live shows relaesed on DVD (inevitable) (hopefully..) will be unbelieveable!(High point "Hello soldiersoldierboy.etc.).

5.Indiscreet. Once again, I saw it live before but it was like a different album..ROCK! (High point-Happy Hunting Ground).

6.Big Beat. (My opinion). The Best Night So far... not my favourite album (It's Kimono) but they blew us away!(All high points....).

7.Introducing. So good! harmonies,no slushy stuff as they ROCKED the songs. (High point has to be Goofing Off as Russell loved doing it and said so (don't let this influence your votes.......).

8.No. in Heaven. Venue too full. (still only 5'2") apparently it sounded good on the PC but a lot of the sound from the stage was drowned out by "biggerblokes" singing & moshing.(Ta for spilling your cider over me, at £3.50 a pint, I am still licking my shirt!)(Humour).

9.Terminal Jive. Not one of my favourites BUT!!! put proper guitars/drums/bass it becomes a different monster! I realise that Rock'n'Roll People in a Disco world was Ron's backlash at being slated for going down a different route but it sounded so much better "rocked-up". (High point has to be Singing in the shower......sad but beautifully done).

Tomorrow is Whomp that Sucker. REALLY looking forward to that (maybe not so Saturday 31st or 3/4th June-work it out..).

The band truly rock!

If they don't I will tell them during Interior Design......

(Not many people that night I reckon...).

Billy Stevens
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Bucket, you have hit the nail on the head, I can't sing and dance about at, work!
Billy Stevens
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Father Jack (Feck Off, Drink!) you look like me!
kev hook
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Bucket wrote:
especially as my singing voice sounds a million times worse, the people around me are probably getting a really bad sound!! :)

LOL Wanna join a band Charlie ? Ha ha

http://www.myspace.com/alphamael
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Stevens wrote:
If I had of been there...

Had of...???
Charlie Bucket
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkRae wrote:
Billy Stevens wrote:
If I had of been there...

Had of...???

You must hate the Yoda scenes in Star Wars! LOL! :)
powpowpow
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think this was the best night so far.. not a huge fan of tj but i like it well enough. r&r seemed totally happy, at least from where i was standing (second row-ish), and looked like they were having fun with it, a lot more relaxed than on previous nights i think. no1 was beyond excellent, but i got the impression they were all concentrating so intensely. i've felt for a few days that they've been plowing through the albums a bit, and this came across as less of a challenge to pull off, despite russell's constant 'this is the end of the 70s' banter.

and i thought the sound was almost spot on for once.. the smaller albums are definitely going to be the winners for me.. they've all been like little private parties where yeah, it's terminal jive, but everyone's singing and dancing and there for a reason and it's all a bit more united. rather than at the sold out shows where you just get drunk people getting pissed off with each other and heckling ron.

john thomas was a picture of pure delight, the grin on his face for the entire night, wow. made the evening completely.

and yeah rolf, your batman tshirt was superb
Robin Davies
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kev hook wrote:
Not one of my favourites by a long chalk, but the second half was as tight as it gets I thought........

As an aside from the performance though, it was nice to catch a couple of people at the end of the streaming complaining to the guy on the sound desk about the lack of keyboards in the mix. And this is coming from someone who likes their guitars LOUD. What a load of old baloney from the sound tech - sound on stage going blah blah blah - we havent been able to hear Ron from the word go - even the one line he had to speak (Under the table) was screwed up by the mic either not being on or not being loud enough. If what is expected hasnt sunk in yet then theres no hope - after all theyve had 10 days now to perfect it. Ron being Ron, he would have ensured all the keyboard sounds were stored at the correct levels during 4 months of rehearsing surely, so that cant be used as an excuse to pass the buck either. I can only assume they have a cracking monitor mix on stage and are blissfully unaware of the sound out front. Perhaps the sound people should be reading these posts - what on earth must they be doing during the daytime rehearsal and evening soundcheck ? Faultless band, but Sparks are Russell AND Ron. If they need another pair of attuned and experienced ears just shout in this direction please.........you are not doing this fine bunch of musicians justice. Have a word please Republic. Rant over

Very well put! It's hard to believe that some people thought the sound was fine when Ron's keyboards were virtually inaudible for about half the show. Full marks to the band for another spirited performance but the sound crew really are letting the side down.
Noisy Boy
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

powpowpow wrote:

but everyone's singing and dancing and there for a reason and it's all a bit more united. rather than at the sold out shows where you just get drunk people getting pissed off with each other and heckling ron.

john thomas was a picture of pure delight, the grin on his face for the entire night, wow. made the evening completely.

That's what I thought on both counts- there was a reverent silence when Ron spoke at the end of the evening, which was quite sweet.

John Thomas is the unsung hero of these gigs, I reckon...
rainbow
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not one of my favourites, but two highlights: Young Girls and Stereo.
Russell sang it beautifully, live the songs sounded al lot better then I remember from the album. Looking forward to woofer, but at fist a day at the office is waiting. I'm glad I'll be back in time to do the lifestreaming!
kev hook
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainbow wrote:
Looking forward to woofer, !

Woofer ? Whoops ! Whomp !!

Ennui
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Whelan wrote:

I've always had a soft spot for it, perhaps because I was in France when it was really popular. I loved Ron's beret and the faux-French accent.

Yes, I'm completly agreeing with you Andy... This is for me the movement from disco to new wave and following the avangardistic trends of upcoming MTV popmusic of the 80s, a major frech hit included here, sleazy lyrics suitable for frech people (^^), a baret on Ron's head, and you say there where a french accent aswell... just perfect!
I love the darkness and disco sound of Greates show on earth... that wraped it up for me, and then... sning in the shower - - wow!!!
Now, the 80s which I preffer and like the most!!!!!!!!!!!
E-Clect-Eddy
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RODDON wrote:
......and so to my (and I suspect many others') least favourite Sparks album. Would it being played live make me like it any better? Well, whilst the boys and the band did a good job of trying to beef it up and breathe some life into it - no!! The best thing I can say is Russell looked really good. Ron was, er....well....Ron. Not sure the beret was a good idea. Saying all of that though, Just Because You Love Me sounded a lot better live, as did Young Girls (are we allowed to like that one now?). Singing In The Shower was a nice surprise (RIP Fred). Let's draw a veil over the rest.

don't roll your eyes that much you'll get a headache! The beret was a reference to the huge hit they had in France with this album or alt least one of it's songs. There were enough of us singing and jumping to this album

Singing In the Shower.... is good but Live in Las Vegas would have been grand. As Catherine & Fred did that one in Belgium at Les Ardentes.

www.last.fm/user/E-Clect-Eddy
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron wearing a beret is cool of course-did'nt go for the onions though...When I'm With You was their biggest hit in any Country SO FAR with sales of near a million if i remember.One of my best mates girlfriend's-stunning French girl came round to our house around 5 years ago and was staring at a framed photo of Ron & Russell on the wall.After about 10 seconds she yelped out-Singing in the Shower-talk about made my day.. Morrissey if released? will be the one to springboard them back into the multi sales status.Sorry a little off subject here.
themightybishop
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i loved it. it's a shame for the musos who are picking up on the problems with the sound. but i am a dull and simple man etc. the beat was great, the tunes great and plenty of room to jig about.
scroobius was great too.
RODDON
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK OK OK!!! I withdraw the beret comment. I know the history - I have followed Sparks since day one after all. All I meant was that I didn't think that it suited him. All the rest that I wrote still stands though.
kev hook
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely hat. Would have been nice if the onions had put in an appearance though

You've Got Mael
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Terminal Jive Reply with quote

I thought it was wonderful! The sound was fine from where I was. The band was in fine form. Ron's faux French accent was hilarious, as was the cigarette dangling from his mouth when he walked onstage. Jim Wilson, Marcus Blake and Steve Nistor popped into the Edward VI for about an hour after the show. I was having so much fun that I missed the last tube and had to get a taxi to my hotel! Whomp tonight!

Last edited by You've Got Mael on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: