SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...9)Terminal Jive
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brightonian
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there at the show and have to say found the poor attendance rather shocking - I guess there must have been around 150 there by the time Sparks came on.

I'm not going to all the shows, but I've only missed 1 so far which I saw on the live-stream, however I've always rather liked TJ. OK, it's not a patch on N1IH, natcherly, but I think it gets an unfair amount of bad press, not least from Ron and Russell themselves!

I've defended TJ a few times on these boards - for me it's a very interesting disco-rock curio and I actually believe it has dated a little better than some of the 80s albums that followed.

So, how was the live experience for someone rather fond of the album? Mixed feelings really:
- the (as-ever excellent) band gave the songs a jolt of adrenaline;
- some of the playing was a little sloppy in the earlier part of the set, but it got a lot tighter as the set progressed;
- maybe I was swayed by Russell's barbed remarks, but there seemed to be no love for these songs and you can't get by on the energy of the band alone;
- it made me think 'maybe I've been fooling myself about TJ - maybe some of the songs are weak, and maybe I was fooled by the slick rock-disco production all these years?'

Then again, maybe I just didn't enjoy it so much as all the other shows 'cause I had a sore throat/cold and couldn't sing along!

Having said all the above - I still enjoyed it, particularly Noisy Boys, Greatest Show On Earth and Young Girls, but Singing In The Shower was in a different league!
Kermit

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much to add on this one that hasn't already been said. "Terminal Jive" ain't another "Number 1 song In Heaven" and was always gonna be a tricky one. Quietest night so far but for me it really doesn't matter cos we get more room to see and enjoy the event. "When I'm with You" though is still the albums highlight and with Ron in a beret and Russell looking tres chic tonight we knew we were in for another special night. It's such an easy sing a long one this one though but everybody was in fine tune once again. "Just Because You Love Me" starts to rock it up a bit and starts telling you the direction of where Sparks were going to next. Back to Rock and guitars this was almost a calm down from the frenzy of the "No 1" days on the dancefloor. "Rock 'n roll people in a disco world" described the night perfectly. Then and now.
Russells apologetic intro to "Young Girls" was good manners. Not one of my favourites I gotta say but it stll never ceases to amaze me that with the live environment even the tunes I have a problem with start to sound OK. "Noisy Boys" I'm sorry I missed cos a boy has to pee sometimes. But coming back to my favourite on the album "Stereo" ....ooh ooooohh!! It was fab! Loved it!!
"The Greatest Show On earth" is a fitting finale and another good stomper. Steady as it goes cos she's the greatest show is a great line to sing back at ya.
The encore of "Singing In the Shower" was great. I only just checked the video to this one for the first time on you tube and boy have I been splitting my sides ever since. That's such a classic.
So great to have the band over to the Eddie after the show. It's been a real pleasure meeting all you guys and knowing you're having as much fun up there as we all are down there, it makes it all so that much more special. My this is exhausting but onward we go.....!!!!!
Dal
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with Big Beat and especially with Introduciing, the live performance was a remarkably improved experience. It wasn't as great as those earlier ones, and there was still a problem with Ron's keyboards. I think John Thomas' one was OK.
I think RARPIADW, Stereo and TGSOE worked really well and were easily strong enough to be played in future gigs.
MissmissyTannenbaum
Groupie

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks Terminal Jive
Setlist:

When I’m With You
Just Because You Love Me
Rock’n Roll People In A Disco World
When I’m With You (Instrumental)
Young Girls
Noisy Boys
Stereo
The Greatest Show On Earth
Warm up:
Dan le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip

Band:
Russell Mael (Vocal)
Ron Mael (Keyboard and synth)
Steve Nistor (Drums)
Jim Wilson (Guitar)
Marcus Blake (Bass)

John Thomas (Keyboards)

The support act was just as good as last time with more jokes added to the repertoire.

A follow up to the excellent ‘No 1 In Heaven’, but not the most popular album among fans something that the small crowd of about 150 people proved.
Knowing that the Mael Bros weren’t happy with the album I’m a bit unsure if some of the missing synth sounds was intentional or not. The band seemed to give the album a more rock sound approach.
On the tonight’s first song ‘When I’m with you’ the synth already had problems with the volume but it was quickly boosted. Unfortunately there were a lot of disco elements from the synth/keyboard that were either to low or let out of the mix.
Russell’s vocal was prominent and clear trough all the songs and the backing vocals were a joy to hear.
As Russell pointed out, Word magazine had written that ‘Young Girls’ was an inappropriate song but having expected an awkward moment myself I must say this was a good sing-a-long for the audience and the creepy edge was taken away from it.
There were some wonders about the possibility that the instrumental version of ‘When I’m With You’ would be left out. I was actually surprised when it was played but finally the synth was done justice with a crisp sound.
In Stereo was the best executed song on this live set, it came of as more electronic with Russell’s altered microphone sound.
The extra song ‘Singing In The Shower’ seemed to be the big audience favourite. It was a nice homage to Les Rita Mitsouko and especially to the late Fred Chichin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: