SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...2)A Woofer In Tweeters Clothing
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparks Moderator UK
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: 21X21 fan reviews...2)A Woofer In Tweeters Clothing Reply with quote

Concert number two
Still a hitch with the opening,hence the duplication.
RODDON
Groupie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another night in front of the monitor vindicated. Wasn't sure how Russell would handle some of the more idiosyncratic vocals on this album, but he pulled it off - much better than the audience did anyway!! Ron was, er....well....Ron. An incredible set matched by an incredible band, and an even more incredible suit. Superb renditions of Here Comes Bob, Moon Over Kentucky, and every other track. Arts & Crafts Spectacular as a bonus - this must - I say must - be officially released!! Russell certainly seemed to be enjoying himself - you can never tell with Ron Streaming much better tonight too. So it's Kimono My PC again tomorrow night.
TommyGun
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright im gonna buy A Woofer.. right now!
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Woofer in Tweeters Reply with quote

Bloody fantastic - and Arts and Crafts Spectacular as well
Aled
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw the webcast - fantastic! Especially the outro to Moon Over Kentucky!
Raoul
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have they made work of it!!!!!What a joy,interacting audience!!! Girl from Germany,she's a beauty~!B.E.A.V.E.R.O.L.I.N.D.Y>Nothing is Sacred-TOP!! Here comes Bob,not easy, Moon over Kentucky-Weehaah- DoReMi just classical music full power! _Bonsoir a Russell venez au Louvre Batteries not included LOL. Steaming Screaming Whippings & Apologies-what a flow Arts & crafts sung Spectacular Really enjoyed it again!!!! Such days for all!!!!! Well, I just mean I ha ve a great time!!!!!!
straightlookingenie
Groupie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMAZING! Even better than last night. The band is so tight, it blows my mind.

I am in complete awe of Russell's voice. I almost started crying three times just watching it on the computer.
Dal
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing! I didn't think they'd pull if off as brilliantly as they did.
I missed "Halfnelson" but recorded "Woofer", and will record all of the others.
It only just struck me that I'm going to be hearing a live version of every Sparks song, in order, over the next three weeks. Who would have believed it?
TommyGun
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dal wrote:
It only just struck me that I'm going to be hearing a live version of every Sparks song, in order, over the next three weeks. Who would have believed it?

Please upload them and share them with us, see my thread in the other board. will try to catch as much as possible too
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly fantastic. I am considering Moon Over Kentucky for my 'all request Friday' choice. I too was close to tears, Russell you are amazing!!
Alan Liddell
Groupie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched the webcast. That was brilliant. I've always loved Woofer so it was great to hear the songs live plus Arts & Crafts Spectacular.

For those not going to the gigs this is definately the next best thing, lets us feel part of this amazing event.

Can't wait for Kimono tomorrow. The band look like they are enjoying it too, (hard to tell with Ron, but I'm sure he is)
Dal
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyGun wrote:
Dal wrote:

Please upload them and share them with us, see my thread in the other board. will try to catch as much as possible too

I'm only recording the audio, but will put mp3s on line for anyone that wants them. The recording quality of "Woofer" could have been better, and I'll sort that out for "Kimono" onwards.
Noisy Boy
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from the gig - the joys of living in London!

Setlist:
Girl From Germany
Beaver O’Linday
Nothing Is Sacred
Here Comes Bob
Moon Over Kentucky
Do Re Mi
Angus Desire
Underground
The Louvre
Batteries Not Included
Whippings & Apologies

Arts & Crafts Spectacular

Band:As last night

Support:
Rod Thompson (again?!)

About twenty times better tonight than last night – my friend complained that the sound was worse where she was, but stood further back, it sounded a lot better, if not so powerful. Nonetheless, than band were on fire. Everything was performed brilliantly and there was a much more charged atmosphere, including air punches aplenty for Beaver O’Lindy and Do Re Mi (which was possibly the highlight). Here Comes Bob was rearranged for piano, acoustic guitar and electric guitar. As with last night, one of the many joys of this gig is simply watching Sparks play as a band without any backing tracks, extra vocals or over-reliance on synths. They well and truly rocked by the time Whippings & Apologies was played, Russell milking the pauses for all they were worth! If there’s one lingering complaint (and there has to be), it’s that Jim Wilson should take the distortion off his guitar at certain moments – it sort of made Roger a bit wonky last night, and the same for The Louvre tonight, where the slide guitar should be a bit more delicate. But it’s a minor grumble! If they’re as much improved tomorrow as they were from yesterday, we’re in for a treat…

P.S. Is it sour grapes cos I didn’t get a support slot, but how come Rod Thompson got to play again? I thought it was Young Knives tonight.

P.P.S I’m timing my journey home by albums played. At the moment, it’s just seven minutes shorter than the duration of Gaucho by Steely Dan…
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noisy Boy wrote:
Just got back from the gig - the joys of living in London!

Likewise :-)

I thought the sound was much better tonight that last night, at least, after the first 30 seconds when the sound guy unmuted the bass - ahem...

I have to admit that Woofer is not one of my favourite Sparks albums, but seeing it live like this was wonderful.

Can't wait for tomorrow.
Tim Collins
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great show tonight - especially loved the false ending of Whippings and Apologies.

No sign of Mozza when his request was played, though. Hope he didn't go and see the poor Smiths tribute act I could hear as I was walking up the stairs.

My only problem now is that, stupidly, I didn't manage to get a ticket for tomorrow's show. I was planning to buy one from a tout, but I haven't seen a single one over the last couple of nights. Hopefully someone will be flogging a ticket on the door, otherwise I know which album my Shepherd's Bush show request is coming from.
themightybishop
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto. not one of my favourites, but loved it tonight. highlight for me was a storming whippings and apologies - the template for suede's entire career!
the lady standing next to me at the bar knew all the french lyrics to the louvre - fair play as they say. and thank you to the kind lady who presented my boy with a sweet.
venue seemed to have a few more than for the previous night and was about 9/10s full.
and so onto kimono...
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phantom Von Tollbooth (re
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, any stiffness of previous night had disappeared, this night surpassed all expectations... how can these 60-year old men sound and look like this..?! And the band were perfect. Dare I suggest the performance even surpassed the Woofer album which is to me 1 of the greatest album ever (after Kimono and Halfnelson)... Any non-believer should have seen this show... Russell's singing was incredible in particular
Kermit

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an amazing night! And this is getting ridiculous. I came home exhausted last night having sung my little old heart out along with Russell and right in Keiths ear (hope it was in toon special man). Then I wake at 5am with "Girl From Germany" going through my head. So I just gotta get up and play it again. My mother being German this song has always had a special meaning to me. Thank you Sparks for that one.
But how tight was that band tonight? And Russell hit every note as if it were recorded yesterday. All the flaws of the opening night were gone and the sound was just perfection. "Nothing Is Sacred" was one of the highpoints for me. Everybody just went mental and the crowd singing back about our new found leisure time was just priceless. Russell your energy is relentless, how do you do it??? Then the haunting "Moon Over Kentucky" had the whole audience kinda hypnotised with it's dramatic la da das! Truly magical! That organ ending just seeps through to your soul and I must admit a tear or two came through. I'd been waiting to hear "Do Re Me" as it was recorded forever. When it had been included in past concerts it was danced up a bit which was good at the time but nothing like the original. But last night it rocked! And rocked rocked rocked! Absolutely mental! The crowd were going crazy and the way this song just gets so trashed is just such a blast. Thanks to whovever posted it on youtube when they sung it on that German show. That's such a classic!
"The Louvre" was the next highlight. What an amazing piece of music this track is. Russell had fun playing with his French and I have it so ingrained in my head from when I first bought the album back in 74 I was singing in French too. Oh la la!! Oh how I wish they made videos to these songs back in the days they recorded these ones cos this one would have made a movie in itself. I've got it in my head anyway but Sparks did it for me tonight and thank you so much for that.
The silliness of "Batteries Not Included" was a welcome sense of humour with everyone shouting "hey kid" back to Russell before we got the storming "Whipping & Apologies". Another classic album ender. With it's false starts and relentless energy I was dripping with sweat by the end of this one. Amazing! The la ba ba bas sent a shiver down me spine I gotta say!
Both yesterdays "Sparks/Halfnelson" & "Tweeter" tonight show how truly classic these 2 albums are.There ain't one duff track on either of them. It's so great to see the younger generation getting in to them now though and appreciating them too.
Thanks again to everyone that came up to the Edward for drinks before and again after the concert. Meeting all these wonderful people from New York, San Fransisco, Ireland, Norway, Manchester, Liverpool , Romford(You know who you are) is making this whole experience that much more incredible. The dedication in everyone in traveling the globe for this spectacular is truly heartwarming to behold. I'm so glad I'm a part of it as making new friends and the camaraderie that is developing is as wonderful as the music itself. I'm so lucky I just have a short trot down the road but the total enthusiasm and truly heartfelt dedication from everyone is such a joy.
I know Ron is always wanting to go into movies but as some of us were discussing last night if someone was recording the whole tour in it's recording, rehearsals, ,concerts , Brick lane museum, fans and the whole lot , would make a good movie in itself and you have a soundtrack already made! I'd go and see it!! Well, hey we can dream.
But anyway, I must get to my bed again as we have "Kimono" tonight. I hope we get to see you Jim Wilson up at the bar again tonight, we missed you last night! It's gonna be hot down on that "Equator" tonight! Bring it on!!!
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pictures up as yet????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: