SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...2)A Woofer In Tweeters Clothing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kev hook
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched the webcast with projector on studio wall (all are welcome round here who arent able to be at the Academy - PM me) and am extremely envious as I wasnt able to make it, but what a BLINDING performance........ROCK ROCK ROCK

http://www.myspace.com/alphamael
Fred E
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched the webcast, stream worked OK. Great performance, great album !!!
Thermaland
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched the show live and that worked great too!

It's a bit odd to get not quite one hour of Sparks, but I understand that Russell's voice must last for the whole run!
lilywearsmoschino
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best Sparks gigs I've seen to date, so many highlights, absolutely phenomenal!!! Well done guys, and thanks. Can't wait for Kimono tonight Ron Playing
Robin Davies
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great show. The sound was much better than the first night (though I was standing further back this time). The guitar and keyboards came through clear as a bell and Russell's vocals were phenomenal. Shame the muggy, all-pervasive bass sound started to make a comeback as the show progressed though...
Hornetpinata
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Review up on my blog Reply with quote

Not to be repetitive from yesterday, but I have a review of evening two up at http://habloennui.blogspot.com.

Can't wait for Kimono tonight.
Brightonian
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These shows are turning into such 'an event', such a party atmosphere! It was great to meet people new to Sparks and to experience their elation with their new discovery.

The band seemed to be enjoying themselves so much. The energy was incredible at this second show - it had a real 'happening' buzz, as if this was some hot-new-band-on-the-scene, not songs from a record made 37 years ago! Live, you could really hear antecedents of punk and true indie-underground-alternative, which is not something I associated with the record (well, not indie-alternative, anyway).

Not a duff song, the song-writing genius of it all stood out throughout, but Nothing Is Sacred, Whippings and Apologies & Do-Re-Mi stood out for the sheer adrenaline, while Hear Comes Bob translated excellently to keyboard-guitar-bass.

Euphoric!

Blistering!

Genius!

(And don't believe anyone who says the sound was poor: the problems of the first night were well and truly ironed out, and it was only right with an album like Woofer that the guitars should be to the fore)
Robin Davies
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brightonian wrote:

(And don't believe anyone who says the sound was poor: the problems of the first night were well and truly ironed out, and it was only right with an album like Woofer that the guitars should be to the fore)

It was certainly a lot better but the boomy bass started creeping back in as the show went on.
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brightonian wrote:
it was only right with an album like Woofer that the guitars should be to the fore

Absolutely! I'm not expecting much of a different mix until Indiscreet...
lost&found
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts entirely Brightonian. The atmosphere was truly electric. Much as I love the album anyway, I was blown away by the way it transferred to a live performance. As for the audience, what can I say? In fact, I find myself quite speechless, I cannot describe it but I’m so happy to have been a part of something so special.
rwolf'68
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lost&found wrote:
My thoughts entirely Brightonian. The atmosphere was truly electric. Much as I love the album anyway, I was blown away by the way it transferred to a live performance. As for the audience, what can I say? In fact, I find myself quite speechless, I cannot describe it but I’m so happy to have been a part of something so special.

Exactly how I feel as well, can't say much more than what has already been posted except that his is one for the Guiness Book of World Records. I'm honored to be present at such a great event - 21 times!!
straightlookingenie
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

straightlookingenie
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noisy Boy wrote:
Just got back from the gig - the joys of living in London!

If there’s one lingering complaint (and there has to be), it’s that Jim Wilson should take the distortion off his guitar at certain moments – it sort of made Roger a bit wonky last night, and the same for The Louvre tonight, where the slide guitar should be a bit more delicate. But it’s a minor grumble! If they’re as much improved tomorrow as they were from yesterday, we’re in for a treat…

Agreed totally about the guitar. At times it's pitch perfect, but other times, definitely wonky.

Noisy Boy wrote:

P.P.S I’m timing my journey home by albums played. At the moment, it’s just seven minutes shorter than the duration of Gaucho by Steely Dan…

HAHA, this made me LOL.
straightlookingenie
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Review up on my blog Reply with quote

Hornetpinata wrote:
Not to be repetitive from yesterday, but I have a review of evening two up at http://habloennui.blogspot.com.

Can't wait for Kimono tonight.

Looks like Blogspot is down. Pity as I'd love to read your reviews. I shall keep trying.
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The electricity of the first night seemed to have been energised by a few hundred volts. Was it a sell out - well it definitely felt like it. Again, Russell, treating us to an utterly amazing vocal performance! And, boy, did the audience take this to heart. It just gets better and better.
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allydodd wrote:
Was it a sell out?

Not according to the Academy's website.

In fact, the only officially sold-out gig (so far!) is tonight's:
http://www.islington-academy.co.uk/listings.php

Ents24 also lists Propaganda as sold out, but people were still buying tickets for that show yesterday evening:
http://www.ents24.com/web/artist/55704/Sparks.html
sparkette
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: any day of the week Reply with quote

The audience and band were together -high energy. Beautiful!
P. Elsen
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guess Gabi an d me were the only people who came from Germanyto Islington...
the performance of A woofer did top the first Halfnelson show not only by the qualtiy of sound, but what the band presented here was even better than the original Album.

for my A woofer is still Sparks best album..!!
lost in space
Groupie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think that I lucked out on this one - I was gutted that I was unable to attend night 1, but managed to pick up a ticket for WOOFER (one of my favorite lps) at short notice for a very reasonable price, and it turned out to be an absolute storm of a show. I have seen Sparks live a couple of times before but never really considered them as a LIVE BAND (probably due to the electronic bias on a lot of the music over the years) in the way that say the chili peppers are viewed (and yes I've seen them to make the comparison) but the Woofer gig ROCKED. Having also seen Kimono yesterday I think that the Woofer gig came out on top as It was just so well performed - you could tell everyone on stage was really up for it (maybe no first night nerves or the great expectations of the crowd, as for kimono, to worry about). Roll on next Saturday and Introducing.

Support act was good. promoters take not three nights of him would have been 10x better than the DJ of kimono show.
and maybe thats the problem!
Andy Whelan
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I probably slightly prefer the first album, I thought this was a better performance. The sound was definitely improved on the previous night.

I particularly liked the way that Ron pretended not to want to play on Underground, presumably because he didn't write it.

Shame Young Knives didn't make it, as I was looking forward to them. A couple of blokes next to me at the bar had bought tickets specifically to see them and not Sparks, and were trying to get their money back, unsuccessfully so it seemed. They should have stayed...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: