SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...3)Kimono My House
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hornetpinata
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Another review on my blog Reply with quote

Great night -- again!

http://habloennui.blogspot.com
TommyGun
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched it online and i think it was brilliant
Im not a fan of equator and though it sounded much better live than on the record it still couldnt reach the level of the other songs. but hearing Hasta Manana live and Complaints and..BARBECUTIE was just great.
Cant say which one I liked more, Kimono or Woofer
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great show. I have to say it will be a long time before the novelty wears off for me. I went down without a ticket (I don't live that far away so I thought I'd give it a go) and unsurprisingly had a difficult time getting in. I tried first at 7:30 where a really aggressive tout wanted £50 for a ticket that turned out to be for the Propaganda show on closer inspection. So I tried again at 8:55 where a different tout gave me a ticket for £35. It's a shame that these people are making money off Sparks, but the relief I felt when I got into the venue just in time for the opening bars of 'This Town...' was worth it.
veryoldfan
Groupie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The novelty isn't wearing off for me either. Admittedly I don't think that Kimono was as polished a perfomance as they gave at Meltdown but in the circumstances (they have had 21 albums to rehearse after all, plus all the 'obscure' stuff) that's not very surprising and I still thought it was a cracking performance. OK there is something not *quite* as exciting, for those of us who've seen them do Kimono before, as seeing stuff like Halfnelson (which was absoultely brilliant, as was Woofer) but that's rather like saying that winning 2 million on the lottery isn't as exciting as winning 3 million.
I feel like I've won the lottery anyway. All 3 shows so far have been fantastic and I can't wait for the rest.
lost in space
Groupie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A really good gig - the time simply flew by as they joyfully crashed through the set list (an Item I managed to aquire from one of the roadies at the end of the gig btw!) As they are only playing for an hour it all seems too brief, but then you can't fault the quality. I would say that last nights kimono show came across as a close second as my all time Sparks gig (so far) as the previous nights Woofer show was AWESOME in every respect and frankly rates as one of the best of over 70 gigs of all kinds I've attended. Looking forward to the next on my list - Introducing, which I feel having chatted briefly with one of the guitarists (sorry I am crap with putting names to faces - the chap without the goatee) after the show, that the Introducing show would be beefed up to give it a more rock edge in parts more akin to th last three shows.

If any one from the promotions or band check these forum posts, can I kindly request that the dreadfully dull 'DJ' is not allowed to taint the prospect of any future shows. His performance was TOTALLY AT ODDS with the whole Kimono vibe as was demonstrated by the masses in the crowd. I think that it may be his best move to take his DJ equipment to the nearest 'Cash converters' store and take whatever they offer him for it!
and maybe thats the problem!
Tim Collins
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the comparatively brief showtimes. It all feels like one huge show with 23 hour breaks between encores, anyway.
BigManRestless
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lost in space wrote:

If any one from the promotions or band check these forum posts, can I kindly request that the dreadfully dull 'DJ' is not allowed to taint the prospect of any future shows. His performance was TOTALLY AT ODDS with the whole Kimono vibe as was demonstrated by the masses in the crowd. I think that it may be his best move to take his DJ equipment to the nearest 'Cash converters' store and take whatever they offer him for it!

Seconded. He might have been more suitable for a later show (circa Balls). Surely the point of an albums show is to play stuff the audience might actually know? Totally totally wrong for Kimono.
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigManRestless wrote:
Seconded. He might have been more suitable for a later show (circa Balls). Surely the point of an albums show is to play stuff the audience might actually know? Totally totally wrong for Kimono.

Thirded.

For the record, I have no issue whatever with "music you can dance to" - a good DJ can really get the place jumping.

This guy, however, was rubbish as well as being totally inappropriate in the context of what was to follow...
Tim Collins
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind, it's Dan Le Sac and Scroobius Pip tomorrow and they're great. Plenty of wordplay for Ron fans to enjoy. As long as they don't say 'Sparks are just a band' during 'Thou Shalt Always Kill'.
Eve
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus, bitching already?

Moustache - first 2 night pencil thin. Kimono, the 'tash was back.

Voice - the high notes are still there but not with the same sustained power (can't expect a voice not to change after 35+ years) I sing and keeping the voice up there is hard work. Ever wondered why in most operas/arias the high notes are used as high points (no pun intended) i.e you're showing off the voice and it is hard work! I didn't notice a key change?

Perhaps my untrained ear was not listening out for mistakes but hey ho.

DJ - Anyone else notice the last track he played was a 'good morning' mix. I just think people were getting fed up of standing there for 2 hours.

Novelty? They sure looked like they were enjoying it.

Personally I think each night got better.
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eve wrote:
Jesus, bitching already?

Bitching? Not in the slightest. Just trying to be objective...

Eve wrote:
I didn't notice a key change?

Equator was dropped from Am to F#m. Only key change so far...
Kermit

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be out on my own here but I really didn't mind the DJ set. Having spent more of my years in clubland it was a welcome change to the usual warm ups. I guess it might have been better to have saved him for one of the dancier albums cosidering Kimono is a rocker but a little bit of Goldfrapp (who incidentally were just outstanding at the Royal Festival Hall a few weeks ago) kept me well happy.
I loved the remix of "Good Morning" too right at the end of his set. Where is that gonna be available and who was responsible for the mix? Will we ever know as there is no physical release for an extra mix or b-side of the single?
And as for these petty gripes of a few of these posters...jeez...Lighten Up Moaners!! Let's see anyone of you try anything remotely like what Sparks are doing here! This is history we are seeing and for ****s sake appreciate what we are beholding!! Bravo Sparks for even attempting this! The whole band are doing an excellent job and their talent and enthusiasm is an incredible assett!!

Last edited by Kermit on Mon May 19, 2008 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Eve
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkRae wrote:
Eve wrote:
Jesus, bitching already?

Bitching? Not in the slightest. Just trying to be objective...

Eve wrote:
I didn't notice a key change?

Equator was dropped from Am to F#m. Only key change so far...

Objectively - the crowd enjoyed it and by the looks of things so did the band.

Pedant. I will have to check on that.
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eve wrote:

Just for the record, I never said they didn't. All I said was that *I* didn't enjoy the gig quite as much as I thought I would and wondered if, perhaps, the novelty (for *me*, that is) might be wearing off...
TommyGun
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats so bad about the key change?
it aint 1918, russel gets older too
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkRae wrote:
Eve wrote:

Just for the record, I never said they didn't. All I said was that *I* didn't enjoy the gig quite as much as I thought I would and wondered if, perhaps, the novelty (for *me*, that is) might be wearing off...

which is fine and you're entitled to share you views as much as anyone but even with 4 hours sleep that makes it subjective not objective.

I'm getting tired and cranky...I'll go now
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eve wrote:
which is fine and you're entitled to share you views as much as anyone but even with 4 hours sleep that makes it subjective not objective.

Not quite sure I get the "4 hours sleep" bit - I wrote my first post on the Kimono gig as soon as I got back yesterday evening...

No worries...

Roll on Propaganda.
Eve
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:-) me. I got home at 3am and got up for work at 7. I was saying even with 4 hours kip I could tell the difference between objective/subjective.

Take no notice, I can turn in to a snappy cow when tired.
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Eve"]Take no notice, I can turn in to a snappy cow when tired./quote]
LOL! Ron Playing
TommyGun
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://flickr.com/photos/deadbysunrise/sets/72157605130001855/

here are some amazing photos for those who are interested
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: