SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...4)Propaganda
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dafom
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my first time watching one of the webcasts, and it worked like a charm (a few delays in the video -- but i'm on the other side of the pond, so to me that's a small price to pay). THANK YOU sparks!!
Andy
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent concert, everybody in the audience seemed to be really enjoying themselves, and yes, Don't leave me alone with her was the best track. Looking forward to tomorrows album, but I think they'll have a hard job bettering tonight's performance.
Dal
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micke wrote:
A relly nice sing-a-long crowd tonight, even I hollered at my screen...

and - of course - a stunning stage performance by all!

<moan>the streaming wasn't 100%</groan>

The party atmosphere is getting stronger every night. Tonight it sounded like five hundred people who came from the terraces of Wembly via five or six pubs.
Stupermundi

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man what a show!
The audience sang along perfectly!

Russel was his charming self.
Ron seemed genuinely touched that the audience sang along so lovingly.

I thought I would NEVER see the shows and was thrilled about the live
stream.
rainbow
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight was bloody brilliant, it is a very good album of course, each and every song sounds great. Lost and found was a big surprise, and I was looking forward to "don't leave me alone with her" ( my avatar!) which was stunning! Russell sang it with the right urgency, wow.
I could not hear what Ron said too, only "Russell" when they had to name the bandmembers.
I must say that the rest of the band is also fantastic, the drums (saturdaty with Moon over Kentucky they were great), and the guitars. I like guitars a lot, and piano/organ, so...just right for me! Looking forward already to
Indiscreet, also a stunning album!
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Wow! Reply with quote

Just got back home after the gig.

Don't really know what to say other than it was stunning! By far the best so far, IMO. Propaganda is my second-favourite Sparks album, and they more than did it justice.

Russell really was in fine voice, and the band were excellent.

Roll on tomorrow, as Indiscreet is my favourite. Ron Playing
Noisy Boy
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setlist
Propaganda
At Home, At Work, At Play
Reinforcements
BC
Thanks But No Thanks
Don’t Leave Me Alone With Her
Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth
Something For The Girl With Everything
Achoo
Who Don’t Like Kids
Bon Voyage

Lost & Found

Band
As previously

Support
Scroobius Pip Vs. Dan Le Sac

If I say this was the first Sparks show that was just as good as the previous night, I’d be damning it with faint praise – it was absolutely wonderful, but they’ve all been wonderful so far. Another capacity crowd were as reverential as previously, and the guys do seem genuinely touched by the repeated shows of love and gratitude from the crowd. And rightly so – the performances were nearly flawless bar the odd little flub here or there (most notably the end of Achoo where the band carried on too long or Ruseell came in too early, probably the former). Highlights included the title track rearranged for three voices, performed impeccably, and the sheer crowd enthusiasm that greeted BC, all capped off with the 'I wish that I...' from the crowd at the climax of Bon Voyage. And, of course, Ron doing his dance during Who Don’t Like Kids - whether it was spontaneous or not, it brought the house down. The encore of Lost & Found was also a surprise (sort of – I looked at the setlist while they were being laid out for the band!), but was still excellent, even if I’d have preferred Marry Me. Nonetheless, the guy that tried to give the bunches of roses to Ron & Russell (thwarted by security, but successful thanks to a kindly person with a photographers pass who put them on the stage) had exactly the right idea.

If I’ve one gripe, it seems that my current favourite spot (left hand side down the front) seems to be some sort of magnet for crowd aggro. Both tonight and at Kimono there’s been some disagreements between punters which’ve threatened to get nasty. What gives?

P.S. On the other hand, I was well impressed with Scroobius Pip Vs. Dan Le Sac. Great stage presence, good songs (though probably better live than on record), and massive BALLS for keeping in the ‘Sparks…are only a band’ line. It’ll be hard to beat that sort of support act going forward.
Thermaland
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic show again! (My 2nd of this run after Woofer/Tweeter.) The musicians were supposed to do the Achoo section in the end (not Ron) but they seemed to get the giggles (not Ron again!) and give up after a while.

After doing his mad dance on Who Don't Like Kids (I think) Ron took the mike under mad applause and cheering and... apologised and promised it wouldnt' happen again. Oh he most definitely does not have the Chaplin 'tache again like someone said in an earlier review! If he still has the pencil moustache, it is now so thin as to be invisible from a distance. Perhaps there is a phantom moustache effect?

I love the simple but amusing things going on on the screen as well. Anyone else noticed that? For the first few songs it was just the album's sleeve, multiplied and turned into boxes, then it turned into a disco ball, then psychedelic effects, then a cartoon mouse was walking at it (during Who Don't Like Kids) and for the encore it was in flames!
Noisy Boy
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thermaland wrote:
Oh he most definitely does not have the Chaplin 'tache again like someone said in an earlier review!

Actually, he'd put whitener on the sides of it and added an upper 'tache piece (face merkin?) during the Kimono gig to make it look like the Chaplin moustache.
Thermaland
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear sweet Jesus!
themightybishop
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was lovely again.
i personally enjoyed never turn your back the most. it was great to hear it done as per original rather than that discofied version that feeds into something else.
the connection between the band and the audience just gets stronger and it really feels like a party. i thought numbers might be down on a tuesday night, but the place was heaving.
indiscreet tomorrow night? it's christmas every day!
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thermaland wrote:
I love the simple but amusing things going on on the screen as well. Anyone else noticed that?

Yes indeed. I'm certain that the minimalist stage show is deliberate as it really is all about the music for the first 20 albums. No doubt there will be much more to watch at the Shepherds Bush Empire, since that's a much larger venue....

Thermaland wrote:
For the first few songs it was just the album's sleeve, multiplied and turned into boxes, then it turned into a disco ball, then psychedelic effects, then a cartoon mouse was walking at it (during Who Don't Like Kids) and for the encore it was in flames!

Two cartoon mice, as I recall. And I believe that the flames have been there during every encore so far...
Andy Whelan
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the album cover in flames has happened each time, it's like them saying that that's another album over with!

Truly magnificent again, and Ron's dance was priceless, as was his apology afterwards. I've a particular soft spot for Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth, which was fabulous.

Actually, I thought the sound was a bit out of kilter for At Home, At Work, At Play, but after that it seemed to sort itself out somehow.

Overall, the performances to date have been so good that it's easy to forget that, for some time, Ron and Russell weren't playing with a full band, and I think it was only at Meltdown that the older songs (obviously Kimono then) were played as they were meant to be played for the first time for ages.

So far, it's been a privilege. Onwards to Indiscreet tomorrow...I bet Russell mentions that he wrote Pineapple.
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Whelan wrote:
Ron's dance was priceless

It certainly was. I hadn't expected to see that so early in the discography.

Andy Whelan wrote:
So far, it's been a privilege.

Definitely.

Andy Whelan wrote:
Onwards to Indiscreet tomorrow...I bet Russell mentions that he wrote Pineapple.

I'm sure Ron's reaction will be similar to when Russell mentioned that he wrote "Roger"...
lazysunbathers
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Best so far! Reply with quote

An ASTONISHINGLY good night, even by Sparks's standards. Liveliest crowd so far, and from the opening notes of Propaganda you could tell Russell was seriously up for it. The band attacked this anthemic set with gusto, helped out by all of us on vocals, handclaps, etc. And the sound tonight was pretty much perfect too - vocals nice and crisp, keyboards high in the mix, and the bass not so muddy. Fabulously manic outro to Who Don't Like Kids?, during which Ron did THAT dance! The band really rocked tonight. At the end, R & R seemed very genuinely moved by such an ecstatic reception - Ron trying unsuccessfully to stifle smiles! Though Propaganda is probably my least favourite of the first five albums, this was by far the best show to date. They are gathering momentum nightly. Who could ask for anything more?
lazysunbathers
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a quick postscript - some of you said you couldn't hear what Ron said during the Band intro's:

RUSSELL: "and the principal songwriter - that's principal songwriter, not ONLY songwriter - my brother, Ron Mael".

RON: "and the principal vocalist ... my brother, Russell Mael".

straightlookingenie
Groupie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noisy Boy wrote:
Thermaland wrote:
Oh he most definitely does not have the Chaplin 'tache again like someone said in an earlier review!

Actually, he'd put whitener on the sides of it and added an upper 'tache piece (face merkin?) during the Kimono gig to make it look like the Chaplin moustache.

For real? *dissolves in fit of giggles*
deadcalm
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1st 21x21.. visit..
Got there A Bit late due to Roadworks. Gotta Say That the Band performed Great and Like Wolverhampton on the HYL 2nd Tour "Steve Nistor" Impressed me Most... Which was Fortunate as He was the only Sparks Member I got a Clear view of All Night... Nice "Who Dont Like Kids " Finale... Even though the Sound was Good I left feeling not so Good as Basically I didnt get to see the Band which was the Whole Point of the Exercise really..
Hornetpinata
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Another review up Reply with quote

I only have one more show to see, which is a shame. It's been great meeting so many Sparks fans. They are few and far between in Chicago.

My review of the Propaganda show is now up at http://habloennui.blogspot.com
BigManRestless
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Propaganda isn't one of my favourites either but last night was another triumph. Highlights are too numerous to mention but BC and Bon Voyage were astounding.

And for the first time I enjoyed the support – that front man has superb stage presence, a definite star in the making.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: