SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...4)Propaganda
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another on the webcam for me but the energy really came across.

Sounded great as well.

Something for the girl with everything - LOVE IT! Fav track ever probably but hey - can't do all the gigs so a massive thank you to whoever is running this webcam thang!
Noisy Boy
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. For anyone who was impressed by Scroobius Pip vs Dan Le Sac, it seems from their Myspace that they're supporting at the Terminal Jive show as well.
kev hook
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best nights of my life. Brilliant brilliant brilliant. No other word for it........Thank you all.. See you tonight !!!

http://www.myspace.com/alphamael
Deano
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great night as it always is with this great band.The support were fantastic-gonna buy their album this week whilst in London.Roll on tonight.Just typing this from an internet cafe near the Oval cricket ground.Gonna see my beloved Yorkshire team play against Surrey and then its off to Indiscreet tonight.The sun is shining and life is beautiful.
Kermit

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can one man have so much fun? This is getting ridiculous. Each night has been so special so far in it's own way and tonight didn't fail either.
Took a trip down to the Sparks exhibition down in Brick Lane in the day. Memorabillia ad-infinitum. Shame it's not a permanent exhibition as that could really grow and grow and grow and we could have our own "Le Louvre" going on. Hey, if Liberace can have a permanent museum in Las Vegas there's nothing saying Sparks can't fill one too!! Had a wonderful salt beef bagel from the famous Brick lane bagel shop right opposite the gallery too. Get down there anyone who is in town, it's not on for long and is a must for any die hard Sparks fans.
the meet up at the Eddie is getting better and better as a chance to meet fellow fans. Watching so many friendships blossoming is such a joy and we even got crisps on the tables tonight for the first time!! I'm sure we'll convert them complaining neighbours into Sparks fans by the end of the tour with Sparks tunes belting out of the windows each evening. It's just so funny.
Over to the gig and I gotta say as much as I appreciate the support band have got talent it just wasn't my bag. Which is fine. You can't please all of the people all of the time and that's a lesson in life we all learn but my head just doesn't get rap and poetry like that. Each to their own but for me, bring back the DJ.
But to the concert and again a sellout and an electric packed house were almost praying for Sparks to come on. No speedboat entry but Russells natty blue suit looked well cool. Storming entry of "At Home At Work & Play" got everyone in a sweat but then we had the wonderful lost single (in my opinion anyway) "Reinforcements". My God, The crowd went crazy, talk about a Sparks Army. Everyone singing along with the Reinforcements and la la las was like being at an army rally! Then "BC "went down a storm and that extended silent gap was blistering. Everyone singing along with those lyrics with Russell in this one is truly a wonder to behold cos there's a hell of a lot of quick lyrics to learn but the crowd had it word perfect.
Then the paedo teasing "Thanks But No Thanks" had everyone reaching for the roof! The Ooo Ooo Ooos from the crowd must have been heard up in heaven! This album is full of so much energy and "Dont Leave Me Alone With Her" just got the place rocking like a Chinese earthquake!
"Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth" with the planet backdrop was really moving. I've got this one listed as my Sparks song at my Funeral (hey, when I die Sparks are going with me!). The line about a quick return to my friends was really moving as I was with a whole load of new friends that I know will be there forever too. Tear.
"Something for the girl with everything" was manic! Russell hitting every note! Always a favourite. Has anyone got the Crackerjack version on video anywhere? That was priceless!!
I loved the leaves going over the album cover for all those hay fever suffereres on "Achoo". God knows how many germs were spread around the N1 while everyone was having a good ACHOO! .....OOH OOH OOH OOH!!
I was half expecting an army of Islingtons School children to come marching on for "Who Don't Like Kids" but we had Jerry the mouse and the Sparks army provided enough retort for those "Who don't like kids" retorts! Fabulous!!
Then "Bon Voyage", my 3rd favourite Sparks toon of all time (after "In The Future" & "Dick Around"). I love this song. I remember as a kid playing it over and over and over again, I just didn't want it to end. It works so well live but a few more waves goodbye from the crowd please if it gets in to the best of at Shepherds Bush.
I was expecting "Marry Me" or "Alabamy Right" as the Propaganda B-sides but "Lost and Found" sufficed. Great to see flowers given to the guys at the end too!! Nice touch whoever did that one!
Then back to the Eddie for chats with everyone, great atmosphere there too!! So many special people.
Thankyou Sparks for another fantastic night!!
manicstar

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG last night was awesome. I think the Kimono My House performance at Meltdown was slightly better (better venue probably?) but I've always slightly preferred Propaganda as an album and I wasn't disappointed!

Don't Leave Me Alone With Her was astounding!! All of it was really.

Only criticism was I wished they had brought the guitars up in the mix a bit. You couldn't hear the second guitarist AT ALL and I was in a perfect central position - shame for him when the excellent band spent so much time learning all these songs!!

Sadly I'm away now until Interior Design so will miss Indiscreet (sob!) but I'll be back!
ed

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: First Sparks Gig Reply with quote

Propaganda was my introduction to Sparks, and I bought it based on the cover, knowing nothing about Sparks at all at the time. It's still my favourite cover of all time, and the album is now one of my favourite albums. It was a delight to hear it performed in its entirety by a really competent and confident band and I was blown away by the friendliness of the other fans. I can't wait for No 1 Song in Heaven on Sunday...

Billy, thanks for the offer of adoption, I'll let you know if my parents throw me out!
Ennui
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 21X21 fan reviews...4)Propaganda Reply with quote

He he I was so distracted yesterday 'cause of the new album, so I forgot about the propaganda concert streaming. All I had on my mind was Sparks, but as a man it is impossible to think of two things at the same time. Kind of wierd. I won't miss tonights show streaming though.
fieryjack1875

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fabulous night!!
The day started with a train from Glasgow at 10.00 to Edinburgh to catch the 11.50-15.50 train to Kings Cross. Called the gallery for directions after we got past Newcastle and Ayeesha (sp?) said that she could have picked us up if we were in London at that time. Not to be , but a lovely gesture anyway.
We got to the gallery in Brick Lane around 4.30. Thoughroughly enjoyable with old prints, concert posters, picture sleeves, badges silk scarves form 1975 etc... Some of the stuff is for sale but unfortunately the yellow poster for a Stuttgart gig was not one of them as it was from Rons own collection. The guest book was duly signed after reading of comments from Norway, Tokyo and America among others.
Got the tube to Angel and found the venue straight away. Went upstairs into EDVI but ended up staying downstairs after buying a beer.Over to the venue and we managed to get down to beside the bar on the left hand side. Would rather have been a bit more central but it wasnt to be. I thought SPvDLC were great and I too will be getting the album ‘Angles’ at the weekend.
Shouts of ‘guitars’ from my left confirmed it wasnt just where I was standing that they were very low in the mix and Russells voice was well up there for the first few songs.
I found the whole set left me feeling very emotional and will happily admit that Reinforcements and NTYBOME had me in tears. SFTGWE was the highlight for me though (strangely omitted from the programme list of songs) along with a dreamy Bon Voyage that made me think of a friend who sadly passed away in January this year.
The 11.45 sleeper train back to Edinburgh for the 7.30 to Glasgow before a quick change of clothes in the car park and straight to work this morning leaves me feeling somewhat tired but it was well worth it.
We will be flying down and staying over after Whomp next week as my mate is sponsoring the gig. We cannae wait!!
Well done Russell, Ron and the band who have been rehearsing for four months to bring this ‘ridiculous concept’ (quote from Russell) to fruition.
Jack
PS – the gallery show stops next Tuesday so get along if you can...its worth the effort.
deadcalm
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Predict "Big Beat" will be the big Surprise of the Island Albums... Steve Nistor will have a Field Day that Night .. He was on Form Last Night. Great Who Dont Like Kids Final..
Im With Kermit the Hip Hop Guys were sort of doing my head in a Bit.. Everone to there own I guess..
Ill be Bringing Step Ladders Next Gig as I saw Absolutley Nowt Apart The Top of The Drum kit...:)..
vibestation

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to moan but this gig had the worst sound I have ever heard. The sound itself was terrible, the mix of the instrument was even worse. I couldn't hear the guitar at all which is so important on Propaganda. It wrecked the gig for me . I never complain about sound and I NEVER go on forums but I had to as I was so disappointed. Was great to see the songs live but I couldn't believe the mix the sound engineer made.

Sorry to moan but I really feel strongly abut this.

I Love SPARKS
Billy Stevens
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic night again,can't wait for tonight!

Ed, you are most welcome, enjoy Sunday!
straightlookingenie
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Another review up Reply with quote

Hornetpinata wrote:
I only have one more show to see, which is a shame. It's been great meeting so many Sparks fans. They are few and far between in Chicago.

My review of the Propaganda show is now up at http://habloennui.blogspot.com

Great reviews! Thanks so much for sharing the link.
allydodd
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup - it just gets better and better. Fantastic band performance with a word perfect crowd throughout this classic Sparks album. An echo from the audience is always expected during the great ballad "Never turn your back on Mother Earth". However, the singing was strong, unrelenting and tuneful over every single track, verse and chorus alike. If that's not validation for the Maels' uncomprimising thoroughness in showcasing such a fine and extensive back catalogue, then I'll eat my denim cap.

Highlight had to be that hilarious dance from Ron at the end of "who don't like kids". The band were clearly taken aback as much as the audience at these impromtu antics. Jim Wilson deserves a bad on the back for keeping his superb guitar playing in time, admist uncontrollable belly laughs.
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manicstar wrote:
OMG last night was awesome. I think the Kimono My House performance at Meltdown was slightly better (better venue probably?) but I've always slightly preferred Propaganda as an album and I wasn't disappointed!

Agreed on all counts.

As has been previously mentioned, the moment during NTYBOME when Russell opened his arms to the crowd as he sang "a quick return to my friends, to my friends" was the closest I've come to actually losing it at a gig. Of course, being British and of a certain age, I managed to gather myself and maintain my composure - no doubt Ron would have approved...

Listening to Indiscreet, my favourite Sparks album, in readiness for this evening. Ron Playing
Flatulence Man
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched webcast of Propoganda with my 10 year old son - he loved it, especially NTYBOME

For me, Bon Voyage was the highlight - absolutely fantastic!

Will be watching Indiscreet tonight - can't wait to see how they do "It ain't 1918". Do they have a fiddle player lined up?

sparkette
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Wowza Reply with quote

Fantastic! Ron Playing
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatulence Man wrote:
Can't wait to see how they do "It ain't 1918". Do they have a fiddle player lined up?

They did - one of the support band.

Unfortunately, after playing the opening of the song, he sat and looked blankly at his sheet music, as he'd completely lost where he was, and played nothing more - extremely disappointing. At the end of the song he got up, gave Russell an extremely apologetic look, and walked off...
Eve
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly the best so far, certainly the most rawk. Loved every minute of it. Didn't want Tuesday/Wednesday night to end they were so good.
Alex MacDonald
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from London after taking in Kimono, Prpaganda & Indiscreet.

Propaganda was sensational, for me a stronger set of songs than Kimono and that reflected itself in the live performance. NTYBOME was a show-stopper but Ron's waltz just sneaked it as the highlight. Thought thye support band were a blast as well.

Ron Playing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: