SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...5)Indiscreet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aled
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was amazing! Especially Get In The Swing.
straightlookingenie
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RODDON wrote:
This is my favourite Sparks album, and I love it so much I'd hoped I wouldn't be disappointed. I should have known better. Sparks raise the bar once again. Do it without a real brass or string section? Not the Maels!!! Never thought I would ever see Under The Table With Her done live, but how good was that?? Russell gets better with each passing night - as does his suits. Ron was, er....well....Ron. This was joyous from first note to last - I simply cannot put into words how much I enjoyed it. Pineapple and Tits the highlights for me - followed closely by the rest. Once again the audience sang every word, and everyone on stage (including the string section) seemed to really be enjoying it. They even threw in oneof their best non-album tracks as a bonus. I need that night off tomorrow to recover, and I'm only watching online!!!!!!!!!

Hehehe, you and me both. I thought I would faint when Pineapple started. Russell's voice is just unbelievable. I've waited years to hear Tits live and I don't feel slighted in the least having only seen it on the internet. It was that good.
Orange
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: In... Reply with quote

Tj Sundown wrote:

...There's only one or two things in the world I'd miss The Apprectice for.

Haha! Me too! Was well worth it - brilliant show, everyone seemed on top form, & the live streaming was a lot better tonight too
especially loved Gone with the Wind at the end
sparkette
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Georgia on my mind Reply with quote

Wonderful!

As for the encore...what can I say? Coming from Georgia, I feel the same-love the song!

This one will be hard to top, but they seem to only get better!
kraftwerkdave
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was probably the one gig I wished I could have gone to, aside from the 3 I'm managing to get to. Of course, seeing as they got string and brass players on stage, my computer decided to die and need a complete reinstall at 7pm so I missed the stream. I'm totally gutted :(
Micke
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy cow, I'm in a state of sheer streaming bliss!

Last edited by Micke on Wed May 21, 2008 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
straightlookingenie
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraftwerkdave wrote:
This was probably the one gig I wished I could have gone to, aside from the 3 I'm managing to get to. Of course, seeing as they got string and brass players on stage, my computer decided to die and need a complete reinstall at 7pm so I missed the stream. I'm totally gutted :(

Oh I am so sorry to hear this. I wish we had a time machine for all those who missed it.
ldgraves
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...the ending was hilarious. I hope someone can provide a short clip of it (so I can show my wife...) When Ron is starting to talk about the four months of rehearsals...and someone in the crowd says something like "fantastic!", and he drops the microphone and walks off stage. Enough said.
kraftwerkdave
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope they issue DVDs of the gigs through Sparks Mart, even if it's just the camcorder at the back and a feed from the mixing desk.
nickmellish
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the first streaming gig I've watched, and it was fantastic. A note-perfect rendition of a superb album-- congratulations to everyone involved.
straightlookingenie
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldgraves wrote:
...the ending was hilarious. I hope someone can provide a short clip of it (so I can show my wife...) When Ron is starting to talk about the four months of rehearsals...and someone in the crowd says something like "fantastic!", and he drops the microphone and walks off stage. Enough said.

Hee, adorable. So adorable.
rainbow
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.IIEEEEK!!!!...HOW do they do it? It looks like it's even getting better every night...!!
Indiscreet is one of my favourites, all of the '70's and the latest albums are, but it was sure a party! I thought, if I did not know these songs at all, and this should be their latest album, I should be thrilled! So fresh, energetic and...new it sounds! Strange, even if you know them as well as I do. The violins and trumpets and so on...fantastic! MUSIC is my only real addiction I think, and especially Sparks! Yes, we really need a night off, we're gonna explode otherwise! R & R and all the rest that make all of this AMAZING PARTY happening, THANK YOU!!!!
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Indiscreet Reply with quote

Just back home after seeing my favourite Sparks album performed live.

Stunning! Just stunning! The use of a brass & woodwind ensemble plus the string section from the support band was inspired...

...except for It Ain't 1918, where one of the violinists from the support band joined them to play Mike Piggott's fiddle part. It started very well, until Russell started singing whereupon the violinist completely lost where he was, and didn't play another note... At the end of the song, he got up, gave Russell an extremely apologetic look, and beat a hasty retreat.

However, that didn't really detract from the overall gig. I'd say that the band weren't quite so tight as they were for Propaganda, but the audience was better so all in all I'd put it on about a par with last night.

On the way home, I was wondering about what's to come. Obviously, they're going to do all the albums, but they've already done my top 5 and, judging by some of the posts in here, quite a lot of other people's top 5 too, so how are they going to keep the momentum going? I'm wondering what the audience reaction is going to be like for, say, Interior Design or Pulling Rabbits Out of a Hat... That's not to take anything away from those albums, of course, but Propaganda they ain't...

Let's hope they surprise us...
themightybishop
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingly, the venue was packed yet again and another great atmosphere. someone mentioned the last song on sparks' albums being special, and miss the start miss the end was a great finisher tonight.
it's nice to see how relaxed they are on stage. they don't get uptight over the mistakes and it'd all shrugged off with a laugh.
i really have enjoyed the first 5 nights, but i really can't wait for big beat. it's less familiar "live" and i'm sure it will really rock.
anyone else feeling a bit knackered? i really struggled through work today - but it's all with a big daft grin on my face.
haydn60
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldgraves wrote:

Ron's been waiting to take a bow for that album for 33 years. Didn't he say when the LP was released, "I've created a monster!"

I know Russell sometimes misses the lyrics, but was he really singing, "say look at your shoes"?? Ah well, as much fun as he's having he should be speaking in tongues.
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themightybishop wrote:
amazingly, the venue was packed yet again

Was the balcony open tonight like it was for Kimono My House and Propaganda? I don't recall seeing anyone up there...

themightybishop wrote:
they don't get uptight over the mistakes and it's all shrugged off with a laugh.

Absolutely! That's the sign of a professional band.

themightybishop wrote:
i really can't wait for big beat

Me too. That and Whomp That Sucker.
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haydn60 wrote:
I know Russell sometimes misses the lyrics, but was he really singing, "say look at your shoes"??

Yep!
Robin Davies
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got back and for me this one was easily the best so far for the simple reason that the sound was good all the way through. Sure there were a few flubs but the fact that we could hear the guitar, keyboards and vocals clearly and reasonably consistently made all the difference.
Utterly magnificent.
In fact probably the best concert I've ever seen.
Wasn't Get In The Swing phenomenal!!!?
Stupermundi

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another GREAT show from Streamland USA.

The musicians were a treat for Under The Table and Looks Looks Looks.

The crowd seems to tailor their energy levels with every album.

It seems that Ron and Russel and the musicians are just as blown
away as the audience.

Pure Synergy!
lazysunbathers
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldgraves wrote:

It was me! What I actually said was "and you sound f***ing incredible!". I certainly hadn't planned to say it, but when Ron started talking about how they'd been rehearsing for four months, I had one of those weird out-of-body experiences and sort of heard myself yell out ... I think it was just an instinctive response to such an emotional night. Indiscreet is my favourite Sparks album - it's the first album I ever bought, and the first album I played to death in my bedroom as a kid (as I said to Russell at the Borders signing, it's going to be strange hearing it without all the vinyl crackles and pops that I know so well). Yes, Propaganda was the most polished show from the band... but come on, think how much more complex the music is on Indiscreet. Yes, it's a shame about the fiddle player, a shame that the horns didn't get a proper count in to Looks Looks Looks (or were their mics not up? Whatever the case, I thought they recovered very well!), and a shame that Ron's mic was too low for Under The Table With Her. Yes, Russell fluffed a few lines, but so what? The guy is learning sooooo many songs, and, as I've said before, live gigs are different every night: if you want clinical consistency stay home with the CD.

That they even attempted to reproduce the musical textures and complexities of the album live on stage just for one night was truly astonishing. Let's not nit pick about a few f***-ups. It was a truly awesome night.

Thank you, Ron and Russell (and the band, strings and horns). You really do sound f***ing incredible.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: