SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21X21 fan reviews...5)Indiscreet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Stevens
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here Here Lazysunbathers! I enjoyed every minute and I am gutted I can't get back 'til plagiarism
aliali

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just returned from the Indiscreet concert and it truely was amazing. We all sang our hearts out and Ron and Russel looked very emotional at the end. I think they never expected everyone to remember all the words to the songs but they are inbedded in our brains forever!!!This is the 3rd time Ive seen Sparks perform live, the first time was in 1975 in Oxford to a disappointingly empty venue. Then after many years went to the Hello Young Lovers tour, and it was so exciting to see them again. It was an incredible experience to be in such an electric atmosphere tonight at a Sparks concert at last amongst fellow fans. Hello Young Lovers was great but nothing like this experience......Can someone tell me how to see them on line when not at the concert. It was very frustrating the other night realising that people could see the Propaganda concert on line ...how can I see it tomorrow night, and am in Wales over weekend ggrrrr PLEASE TELL ME, see you all on the last night for the next chapter
MarkRae
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Stevens wrote:
Here Here

Hear! Hear!
Annika
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliali wrote:
Have just returned from the Indiscreet concert and it truely was amazing. We all sang our hearts out and Ron and Russel looked very emotional at the end. I think they never expected everyone to remember all the words to the songs but they are inbedded in our brains forever!!!This is the 3rd time Ive seen Sparks perform live, the first time was in 1975 in Oxford to a disappointingly empty venue. Then after many years went to the Hello Young Lovers tour, and it was so exciting to see them again. It was an incredible experience to be in such an electric atmosphere tonight at a Sparks concert at last amongst fellow fans. Hello Young Lovers was great but nothing like this experience......Can someone tell me how to see them on line when not at the concert. It was very frustrating the other night realising that people could see the Propaganda concert on line ...how can I see it tomorrow night, and am in Wales over weekend ggrrrr PLEASE TELL ME, see you all on the last night for the next chapter

http://www.cdpulse.com/venue/page/Carling+Academy+Islington

Click on that link and you can see it.

Again it was a great concert even if the streaming was bad at times, have so many memories to these songs. Can't wait until the Introducing album,
which is my absolut favorite :)
Introducing Leo
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, very, very impressed. Get In The Swing sounded just perfect. Was really expecting a scaled down version of all these songs, but how ignorant of me to think that Sparks would do anything scaled down!

Okay, cues were missed and lines were fluffed but that just adds to the charm!

Feared for Russell's health during In The Future though I have to say!! Thought he might just about pass-out from the strain of singing it!!
straightlookingenie
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noisy Boy wrote:

It was amusing to see Steve McDonald laughing his ass off at this while the prompter tried to flash up the right lyric, but for a few seconds I genuinely though it was going to fall apart. However, it’s a testament to the band (and the crowd’s enthusiasm!) that they managed to patch it up and end it relatively flawlessly.

Speaking of flawless, the final two songs certainly made up for the flubs- both were beautiful, and Gone With The Wind was a nice surprise (albeit one I’d spotted on the setlist from up on high). So, not the best gig technically (and to be fair if this was the only one I was going to I’d be disappointed), but still a wonderful experience, and one that will have to endure until Number One In Heaven, which is my next one…

I noticed the flubs, too, and felt SO BAD for them, but they did a great job of recovering. Wish I'd seen Steve laughing, that must've been hilarious.
Spyke
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great show! I'd expected the songs to be stripped down, so it was a real treat to see the strings and brass on stage. Roll on the next one!
BigManRestless
Certified Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem churlish to complain (nothing in the world is perfect after all as we know...) but that was a definite 11/10 for effort and 9/10 for execution. What was up with the sound people tonight? Not having Ron's line on Under The Table With Her was a horrible mistake, the whole mix seemed very muddy.

My other niggles have all be mentioned elsewhere (the backing vocals on Pineapple - I kept thinking "Come on - do the next bit!", the fiddle player on It Ain't 1918) so let's concentrate on the positive - Looks, Looks, Looks made up for everything that was stunning, ditto Under The Table With Her (which had we heard Ron would have been perfect). As I say 11/10 for effort - they just about pulled it off, I'm sure Indiscreet must have been the trickiest one to pull off live. Bring on Big Boy and his Big Beat!

Last edited by BigManRestless on Thu May 22, 2008 3:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Noisy Boy
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkRae wrote:

Was the balcony open tonight like it was for Kimono My House and Propaganda? I don't recall seeing anyone up there...

Yup - I was up there. From the sounds of everyone else's reports, I rather wish I'd stayed downstairs as it's pretty unforgiving up there, especially when the crowd's enthusiasm is part of the experience!
Hornetpinata
Junior Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Review up on blog -- thanks to cool folks I met Reply with quote

All good things must come to an end. My review of the Sparks Indiscreet show is now up at http://www.habloennui.blogspot.com.

I met so many great folks at the shows -- traveling solo from Chicago wasn't so bad with so many nice Sparks fans from all the world over. All the best to the Golden Ticket holders, who I salute for their dedication and all around coolness.

Mike Bennett
TommyGun
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word: awesome!

Never thought they'd come up with real strings and a marching band..how i wished to be there in person!
They did some misstakes but thats in the nature of live concerts, eh?
that was so great..
they HAVE to release a dvd boxset of this anything else would be a sin

Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have to post to say that I'm speechless! Really can't find the words to describe how great these gigs are (I've been trying since Saturday!) and what a fantastic time I'm having. Never has £350 been so well spent!!
tommyperkins
Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been meaning to write sort of mini reviews for all the shows I've been to so far, but this is the first time I've managed to get to a computer, so I'll start with what turned out to be the best thus far.

So what's noit to like about Indiscreet? It's probably one of my favourite albums. And, as you could easilly have predicted they totally did it justice. The string and brass section was a lovely surprise. I had the chance to speak to Jim Wilson just before the Kimono show and I quizzed him. He informed us that though there would be no strings or brass he felt that the band had done it justice. Nothing could prepare us for just how amazing it turned out to be - and they didn't even need extra instrumentation.

The support band was excellent, and it was those musicians who assisted Sparks, to great affect.

A single fiddle player came out to assist with 'It Ain't 1918' . I think it was too fast even for him - there wasn't a lot of rehursals, having apparantly only started that day, but at one point I think he was lost by the speed of the song, and he just sat there waiting to come in, a look of bafflement on his face.

The orchestra was a nice addition to the show, but the real talent la in Russell's voice, and the fact that he remembered almost all of the lyrics. There were a couple of times where he fluffed, but who cares. Hats off.

Thanks to everyone I've met in the Edward prior to these shows, and I hope that Lauren had a safe journey back.

See you all on Friday for a little it of Big Beat!
Eve
Sparkologist

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noisy Boy wrote:
Setlist
Russell’s autocue broke just before the final verse, which is why they kept repeating the ‘Looks Looks Looks’ lyric a bit too often.

?

Quote:

It was amusing to see Steve McDonald laughing his ass off at this while the prompter tried to flash up the right lyric, but for a few seconds I genuinely though it was going to fall apart.
I saw him raise his hand to his ear, as if expecting the audience to join in.
barnacles
Fan-in-Training

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roddon, you're right this was the best so far. I've been to all so far and the atmosphere and performances were unbelievable. Only quibble was the fiddle player in 1918 stopped playing after the first verse and looked bemused as to when to come in again. Steven, Steven, Jim and Marcus are such a good band, although I'm also looking forward to Tammy playing later. Are you getting to any of the gigs in person?
Noisy Boy
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eve wrote:
Noisy Boy wrote:
Setlist
Russell’s autocue broke just before the final verse, which is why they kept repeating the ‘Looks Looks Looks’ lyric a bit too often.

?

It froze up, then you could see whoever was operating it wildly scanning through the lyric pages until it came up with the final verse. That happened a couple of times during the gig (the end of Tits is the other example I can think of), but this was the most obvious. Still, good recovery by the band!
straightlookingenie
Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigManRestless wrote:
It does seem churlish to complain (nothing in the world is perfect after all as we know...) but that was a definite 11/10 for effort and 9/10 for execution. What was up with the sound people tonight? Not having Ron's line on Under The Table With Her was a horrible mistake, the whole mix seemed very muddy.

My other niggles have all be mentioned elsewhere (the backing vocals on Pineapple - I kept thinking "Come on - do the next bit!", the fiddle player on It Ain't 1918) so let's concentrate on the positive - Looks, Looks, Looks made up for everything that was stunning, ditto Under The Table With Her (which had we heard Ron would have been perfect). As I say 11/10 for effort - they just about pulled it off, I'm sure Indiscreet must have been the trickiest one to pull off live. Bring on Big Boy and his Big Beat!

I was a bit sad when they didn't do "so invest in Big P" on Pineapple, but you're right, 11/10 for effort!!
aliali

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: wow thanks for that..s made my day Reply with quote

Annika wrote:
aliali wrote:

http://www.cdpulse.com/venue/page/Carling+Academy+Islington

Click on that link and you can see it.

Again it was a great concert even if the streaming was bad at times, have so many memories to these songs. Can't wait until the Introducing album,
which is my absolut favorite :)
aliali

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

der what was trying to say is thanks a lot s made my day
Annika
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this has been mentioned, but why is not Josh Klinghoffer and Dean Menta playing? anybody knows!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> Sparks Live All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: